Windows 7 How to make an icon appear in 'hidden icons'

titolopez

Hi.

I would like to have the Live Messenger and Skype icons into the 'Hidden icons' box (Windows 7), so I don't have them displayed all the time in the task bar.

If I use the "Customize" -> "Select which icons and notifications appear on the taskbar" option, there are many programas which I can configure, but I can't find Live Messenger and Skype there to be added.

Any help?

First try right clicking in an empty space in the taskbar notification area, select properties, click on "customize notification icons" and select from the list.

If the one required is not there then you will need to set these options for each application and the exact means of doing it will vary (some apps may not offer the option in which case some registry editing would be needed). In the case of Skype, for instance, you need to navigate from the Skype window to tools, options, advanced and uncheck the box "keep skype in the task bar".

Last edited:
Thank you, Patcooke. That worked great for Skype. What about Live Messenger? I am not familiar with registry editing, which I consider dangerous to mess with it...

I would have expected Live Messenger to appear in the options which I described first . . .

No, sir. It didn't...

It's strange. When I open the 'Notification Area Icons', in the list of icons and notifications supposed to appear in the taskbar (please see the picture below), I can find applications like Outlook, Windows Update, Windows Media Center, Windows Explorer, Skype, Java Platform, even Windows Live Mail... but Windows Live Messenger does not appear in the list.

Capture 1.PNG

Thanks again.

I don't use Windows Live Messenger any longer having dropped it in favour of Trillian so I'm not sure but is WLM now covered by the general Windows Live icon?

Back