Windows 7 How to move Imported Folder in Windows live Mail over to Inbox

sandyocean

Honorable Member
I have imported my Outlook Express email messages Folders into new laptop and I have imported those Message Folders into Windows LiveMail. All good.
But all my Message folders are sitting in Windows live Mail in a seperate folder called Imported Folder/Local Folder at the bottom. How do I move all the imported Folders so they are in my INBOX - instead of being a seperate folder at bottom of screen. I would like it to look as close as it can be to Outlook Express that I am used to. :confused:

Make new folder with duplicated name of original in your chosen location. Right click message(s), Select Move to folder... to move to your new folder. Delete original empty folder.

Well thanks for that Elmer. That is clear. It's just hard to believe that is the solution. I thought Windows Live was a new programme and its quite amazing that they haven't allowed for adequate importing. Its not as though its a rare thing for people to need to do. I had assumed that the folders would import at least into one of my existing email addresses - instead of a seperate folder altogether. Then seeing what had occurred, I discovered I couldn't just move the folders to where I wanted them - wow.... I have dozens of folders to recreate and hundreds of messages in each to select and move. Not looking forward to the time its going to take to do this job. I will check Thunderbird. Maybe its the same - isn't it interesting how the creators of these things can miss, what I see as, an important point. I guess it won't be the first discovery!!

It may not be the best way. It's what I did. Mind you, I didn't have "thousands" to move, more like 30 in 2 folders!

Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express

When you upgrade a computer running Windows XP to Windows Vista, Windows automatically imports any messages and contacts you have in Outlook Express to Windows Mail. (Outlook Express has been replaced in Windows Vista by Windows Mail.)
If you are not upgrading but want to transfer your Outlook Express messages to a computer running Windows Vista, then you need to transfer the messages manually or use Windows Easy Transfer.
If you are just transferring Outlook Express messages (and not all your other files and settings) from a computer running Windows XP, you may find it easier to use the manual method described here.
On the computer running Windows XP, do the following:

• The folder that contains the Outlook Express messages is marked as a hidden folder in Windows. To view this hidden folder, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options. Click the View tab, and under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
  • Locate the folder named Outlook Express. In Windows XP, this folder is located here by default: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{your Windows user identity number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
  • Copy the Outlook Express folder and all its contents to the Documents folder on the computer running Windows Vista. (You can store this copy of the Outlook Express folder in a location other than the Documents folder, as long as you remember where to find it.) For information about how to copy a folder

On the computer running Windows Vista, do the following:

• Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.
  • Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
  • Click Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
  • Make sure Import mail from an OE6 store directory is selected, and then click OK.
  • Click Browse, find the Outlook Express folder you copied to this computer, and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.)
  • Click Select Folder, and then click Next.
  • Click All folders to import all the folders, or click Selected folders and select which message folders you want to import, and then click Next.
  • Click Finish.
Regards,
Manjeet

Yes thanks Manjeet but I have already done all that.
The question was not how to import the messages.
I was asking now that they HAVE BEEN imported - is there an easy way to shift the contents of the imported folder with all its subfolders into my INBOX.

I know this is an old thread, but I've just encountered the same problem.. The way to do it is this.

1. Go to your C: drive.. - Organise - Folder and Search Options - View - Show hidden files folders and drives - Click OK.

2. Navigate to Users - Your User Name - AppData - Local - Microsoft - Windows Live Mail - Storage Folders.

3. Select all and copy

4. Go back to the Windows Live Mail folder and go into the folder with the same (Or similar name to your new account (I have two accounts with similar names) and paste the files and folders.

5. Restart Windows Live Mail - wait a few minutes for the folders to appear, and go down and select them and press Ctrl Shift A to mark as read.

6. Once safely in the right folder, delete from the storage folder.

Regards,
MUNGO

I know this is an old thread, but I've just encountered the same problem.. The way to do it is this.

1. Go to your C: drive.. - Organise - Folder and Search Options - View - Show hidden files folders and drives - Click OK.

2. Navigate to Users - Your User Name - AppData - Local - Microsoft - Windows Live Mail - Storage Folders.

3. Select all and copy

4. Go back to the Windows Live Mail folder and go into the folder with the same (Or similar name to your new account (I have two accounts with similar names) and paste the files and folders.

5. Restart Windows Live Mail - wait a few minutes for the folders to appear, and go down and select them and press Ctrl Shift A to mark as read.

Regards,
MUNGO

Top Answer Mungo, this is what everyone in this forum was looking for, worked a treat, 100 folders to move, thousands of messages done in an instant. thanks for sharing

T

3. Select all and copy

Regards,
MUNGO

Thanks M8. You saved my day(and night)

Back