How to NOT open-and-show-files when connecting a phone or tablet?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by Notquiteadummy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Notquiteadummy

Notquiteadummy Active Member

I must have made an error upon set-up. Every time I connect a smart phone or tablet, a "windows explorer" window opens, showing the files on the device. I'd like to have the system just do nothing when I connect, but I can not seem to find out how to manage that option. I imagine it would be easy, if I could find it.

Thanks for your help.

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi,

check the screenshot below and you'll see the settings that you can change:

drives.

3. Notquiteadummy

Thanks, Kemical,

I tried what was on the screen print, but it didn't work. Restarted the PC...still did not work. I am using Classic Shell, which mimics the Windows 7 start screen, but all of the functions are W8. Any more ideas?

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

To be honest thats the only setting I know of unless Classic shell is messing with it somehow. I guess you could un-installing classic shell and see if it changes anything. I'm not sure how much of a job it is to install classic shell as I've never used it.

5. Notquiteadummy

Thanks again,

I uninstalled Classic Shell; time to just learn W8 better, anyway.

The AutoPlay options were as I set them. So, I just un-clicked "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices". That worked. I don't mind forgoing AutoPlay; I do know how to open drives and files (as one would hope). So maybe other users can get a tip from this.

Without your guidance to the AutoPlay feature in the Control Panel, I'd still be in the woods. Thanks again very much.

1 person likes this.