Windows 10 How to one-time delete folder without change owner or disable UAC?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
I copied a folder tree from another computer in LAN onto my local computer.

After some work I want to delete this folder tree on my local computer.

When I right-click in File Explorer on the top node and select "delete" then a popup tells me:

"You need to provide administrator permissions"

Tutorials in Internet say I have to click through several menus to take ownership of this folder and be able to delete it.
Others recommend to disable UAC.

Is there really no other way to delete such files/folders?

Is there no context menu extension "delete as administrator" (With prompt for password)?

If necessary I could add my user to the admin group but I want to avoid this too.

Any other solution with a minimum of effort?

Thank you
Peter

If the directory was copied into a location that has high MIC label then no you either need to elevated with UAC or disable UAC. Preferably the first choice is better for the security posture of your system. If your account is an administrator then clicking yes on the UAC prompt will create a one-time elevated process with your administrative access token to complete the operation on the high MIC label item.

MIC
Mandatory Integrity Control - Windows applications

So although my (=the current) user is member of the group of administrators I cannot delete some files?

I though "administrator" group users are allowed to do everything.

Do I have to add some special permissions (how?) to be able to delete every file and folder (even from other owners)?

All users, including those that are members of the administrators group, run in a standard user context (medium MIC label) the process of elevation (the UAC prompt) requests an elevated user token and the process uses that to grant you access to a high MIC label item.

Back
Top Bottom