Windows 7 How to really remove network share of a local folder?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
In the past I setup a network share for a local folder by

right-clicking on that folder in WinExp
click "Properties"
click "Sharing" tab
click "Advanced Sharing"
activate checkbox "Share this folder"
assigning my user account to the list of permissions
removing "Everyone" access.

This works fine.

However now I want to completely unshare this folder
So I went to "Advanced sharing" and disabled the checkbox "Share this folder"
and clicked Apply + ok.

Much to my surprise in the "Sharing" tab this folder is still declared as "shared"

Why this?

How can I really unshare this folder? Just as if I never declared a share.
Do I really have to re-assign "Everyone" to this folder?

Is there a command line cmd to remove sharing and to re-establish initial state?
Something like

removeshare.exe "D:\tools\myfolder\"

Thx
Peter

It may be a simple glitch. You could copy the contents of that folder to a new folder, preferably with a new name, and then after checking it's all there, delete the old folder. Copying the entire folder may cause links to follow, but copying the contents should kill trails. Unless there are id files of some sort.

You could copy the contents of that folder to a new folder, preferably with a new name, and then after checking it's all there, delete the old folder. Copying the entire folder may cause links to follow, but copying the contents should kill trails. Unless there are id files of some sort.

Hmm, I cannot believe that this is the official way of removing a folder share.

There must be an offical "remove all share from this folder" button.or cmdline command

Where is it?

Is this shared folder inside the Library? If so, have you checked the actual folder set it to no sharing? Is it in a Public folder?

But the folders I see show a option with a lock for share with nobody. That isn't working?

You might also check the Advanced Security settings for the folder. There may be entries there which could effect the situation.

If none of that works, you might try turning off File and Printer sharing in the Advanced Sharing options, unshare the folder again, then turn file and printer sharing back on.

Use the following at a command prompt with Administrator privileges:

net share

Grab the "share name" and issue

net share ShareName /delete

Tada, it's gone!

Back