Windows 7 How to reformat, re-partition etc for reinstalling Windows 7

Commander_Cool

Hi, I just bought a second hand Dell Latitude E6510 laptop on which I need to do a clean install of Windows 7. I have been able to do this, but it's been years and I forget.

I used Partition Wizard 6.0 the last few times, but need some guidance now. So, I have:

- A used machine I want to wipe clean and then start from scratch, eventually allowing it to boot from the Windows 7 installation disk.

- Umpteen utilities besides Partition Wizard

- A keen desire to have this happen while I'm still young

Thankful for all advice!
:cool:

Last edited:
There are many ways of going about it. One is to boot from the win7 install dvd, navigate to command prompt then use the "Clean all" command to wipe the disk/disks. Then create partitions as per choice (say one for the OS and program files, another for data), then install windows.

Theres a good tut on sevenforums on this.

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation - Windows 7 Forums
Yes. Thanks for the tip Bill2. I would boot from the Windows 7 install DVD as a matter of routine, only the Dell won't have it.

It boots fine from Hiren's Boot CD (its Mini XP runs fine), Partition Wizard etc ad inf.

Then there's something wrong with the install dvd one might think. Yes but...my other two PC's boot fine off it (else I wouldn't have posted).

I hate to be a nag (not!) but as I said in my first post up there ↑↑↑ : "I want to wipe (the disk) clean and then start from scratch, eventually allowing it to boot from the Windows 7 installation disk."

But I'll check out the suggested link, thanks Bill2 :cool:

Last edited:
What message do you get when you try to boot to the Windows Install DVD? There may not be anything wrong with the Install DVD, but some drives have problems with the format on the Install DVD.

This Microsoft site is referencing Vista, but on my Dell, I had to do a firmware update to get Windows to even see the DVD drive. So see if anything on the link makes sense.

If you get the drive formatted and you can't load the DVD, you can always go the flash drive route. But formatting the drive using one of the other utilities, should not be a problem. If it is, what message are you getting?

What message do you get when you try to boot to the Windows Install DVD? There may not be anything wrong with the Install DVD, but some drives have problems with the format on the Install DVD.

This Microsoft site is referencing Vista, but on my Dell, I had to do a firmware update to get Windows to even see the DVD drive. So see if anything on the link makes sense.

If you get the drive formatted and you can't load the DVD, you can always go the flash drive route. But formatting the drive using one of the other utilities, should not be a problem. If it is, what message are you getting?
Right. I hear you, friend. Let me get back at you in a couple hours, OK? Too much going on at the moment.

@Saltgrass: Re: How to reformat, re-partition etc for reinstalling Windows 7

Hi,

the laptop (Dell Latitude E6510) still will not boot from a known, good, Windows 7 installation disk, instead returning an error code: "CD BOOT: Cannot boot from CD - code 5".

Granted, it is not a CD I try to boot from but a DVD, but I suppose that code covers both media. I would have my work cut out from me if I tried to cram 3 650 432 KB onto a CD, wouldn't I?

The PC boots fine, however, from Hiren's Boot CD (Mini XP thereon runs fine, for what that's worth), GParted, and some other utility disks like those that I have.

Where do I go from here? Am I destined to forever use this potentionally fine machine to play Solitaire off Hiren's Mini XP? Please - say it isn't so!

PS: I tried some suggested leads at microsoft.com, but as usual got bogged down somewhere on the 2'nd or 3'rd page of the preamble to the actual solution to the problem at hand, and fell in a deep, nigthmare-ridden sleep from which I just awoke after 5 hours. Next time I'll ask the cat.

angelass.jpg

Re: @Saltgrass: Re: How to reformat, re-partition etc for reinstalling Windows 7

I am not familiar with Hiren's cd. But, if you can run a (miniXP) from that, are you able to install a minimum setup of, say, XP. You could then boot up and try the DVD install from within XP.
Another thought is that you refer to a couple or so of CDs which operate normally. Do you have any other DVDs you can try, to see if they can be read? If not, then a lense clean might be an answer.

Re: @Saltgrass: Re: How to reformat, re-partition etc for reinstalling Windows 7

I am not familiar with Hiren's cd. But, if you can run a (miniXP) from that, are you able to install a minimum setup of, say, XP. You could then boot up and try the DVD install from within XP.
Another thought is that you refer to a couple or so of CDs which operate normally. Do you have any other DVDs you can try, to see if they can be read? If not, then a lense clean might be an answer.
Thank you davehc. You say: "But /... / are you able to install a minimum setup of, say, XP."

I suppose you mean: "But /... / you are able to install a minimum setup of, say, XP." and instead of asking a question, you are postulating that, if I can run the Mini XP installation on Hiren's Boot CD, I should also be able to install a minimum setup of /.../ XP.

Am I right? If so, that is my contention too, and the reason I persist with this. Like I said, I would be loath to use an almost reasonably good laptop (specs here: Dell Latitude E6510 Specifications ~ Laptop Specs) simply to play Solitaire. Which game (Solitaire) is good fun, true, but...not worth the 580 bucks I paid for the Dell. Not by a long shot;)

Further on, you say: "Do you have any other DVDs you can try, to see if they can be read?" Yes, and I think I said as much in the original post.

Hmm...I'm fiddling with diskpart and bootsect now to (hopefully) make a USB stick that the machine can boot from.

Success! I am now in the process of installing Windows 7 from the USB stick. What a relief :)

" Yes, and I think I said as much in the original post."
My deepest apologies. I am unable to read that in your post. Perhaps I am a little word blind?

" Yes, and I think I said as much in the original post."
My deepest apologies. I am unable to read that in your post. Perhaps I am a little word blind?
Yes, and I think I said as much in the original post."
My deepest apologies. I am unable to read that in your post. Perhaps I am a little word blind?[/QUOTE]
Maybe so, you would know that better than I. But no need now for apologies :insanity: my PC just turned from a very expensive paperweight into a $417 value between this post and the one before last and I'm happy as a 'pig in sh*t'!

yessv.jpg

Last edited:
Back