Windows 7 How to remove address paths in windows folder

hkkc

Ok, I have Win7 Ultimate and in the windows explorer or what ever you call the program where you view the files and folders, it shows the address paths of "Hidden" folders that I want to keep hidden.
How can I delete these address paths? It also shows up in the IE8 addresses which is a pain but easily deleted there. However in the Windows explorer address bar that option is not available.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Perhaps this is what you need . These should have been there by default but:
In Windows Explorer, on the top bar open Tools - Folder Options - View.
Scroll down. Make sure these items are ticked.
"Don't show hidden Files, folders, and drives."
"Hide protected Operating System"

Hit "Apply" and restart Windows Explorer. See if the Items are gone.
Could you give a little more detail on the IE ptoblem? I don't fully understand what the problem is there.

This is what I am talking about.. How do I remove the path from the address bar..

Issue.jpg

What folders are you trying to hide? If the folders are hidden how do they know to navigate to the path unless it is something like a library, and if it is they cant see them from their user profile but you can from yours.

I believe he has solved the folder problem.
HKKC. First show the menu bar- it will make the job easier.

Right-click a blank area on the toolbar or tab-bar.
In the context menu that appears, select Menu Bar.
or
Click on the Organize button and Layout.
To Turn On the Menu Bar - Click on Menu Bar .
To Turn Off the Menu Bar - Click on Menu Bar .

Now it is your decision as to what you want to appear on opening IE. Here is an example starter for you.
Delete the contents of the address box.
Type in http://www.google.com/
enter.
You should now have the popular search page.
Now click tools in the menu bar. Click "Internet Options" (At the bottom.)
In the first windows of the pane, click "use current". "Apply" (At the bottom)

Now whenever you open IE, you will see the Google search page. Other option, in the method above, is to select a blank page and Apply. This means you will have the choice of typing in wherever you wish to go on the web.

Hope this is what you are looking for!

Last edited:
The folders are hidden folders & files, but to access the path I have to type in the path and it will show up in both IE & the address bar of the folders window. It is easy to delete from IE but I cannot figure out how to delete it from the folders address bar.

The photo shows the highlighted folder path I want to delete or not show up. I tried deleting browser history etc nothing works.

Does anyone know?

I am confused. Are you saying that, if you type an address in the Windows Explorer,? It would only do that if you type a web address for example, (www. "something2. com") in Windows explorer. It will then revert to IE with the web page you have typed in.
Windows explorer is for your internal folders, Internet explorer is for accessing Internet pages. Could you give an example of what, exactly, you type into the Windows explorer address bar? It is unusal to do this, normally it is just point and click.

Ok, let me try to explain again.

Using Windows explorer (to access folder & files), if the folders are hidden and I want to access it, I type in the path directly into the Windows Explorer (NOT IE) address bar.

Whenever I do that, the path that I type is automatically saved in the Windows Explorer address bar AND the IE address bar AND also in the IE history folder. So anyone who has access to my login will also be able to see the files and filders that I have accessed.

Try it.

Create a hidden folder with some files, then close Win Explorer. Reopen the Win Explorer, type in the path to the hidden folder and it will show your hidden files, access one of the file.

Close Win explorer, reopen it and click on the down arrow on address bar you will see the path that you just typed in.

Next OPEN IE and click on the down arrow of the address bar you will also see the path to your hidden files.

I am not confusing Win Explorer and IE, I know the difference. Maybe I need to go to Windows tech support.

Last edited:
Which down arrow? But not to worry. I went through the process and could not replicate your problem.. Maybe zigzag has something?

Try downloading CCleaner from Piriform. Not only does it delete temporary internet files but can also clear Explorer's MRU (Most Recently Used) history whch I believe is your culprit. When you run CCleaner check all options under the Windows Explorer section and hit Run Cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom