Windows 7 How to Remove Grub loader and get windows 7 boot loader back (uninstalling Linux)

I am facing the same problem. But I don't have the windows 7 installation disk as the OS came pre-installed with my laptop(Sony Vaio). There is a recovery drive which has the OS but it cannot be accessed as there is the 'grub error' when I restarts my computer. I want to remove grub and vector linux from my laptop. Please help me out.
Hello and welcome to the forums.
There are several on line resources you can use to obtain the media you might need.
If you just need a Windows 7 Repair disk, which should be sufficient for your current issue, you can obtain one from our downloads area here Link Removed due to 404 Error make sure you grab the correct ISO for your architecture (32 or 64 bit).
If you need the full install media perhaps this resource would help Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links
Burn the ISOs to the appropriate media CD for Repair Disk, DVD for full install media, using the slowest speed your burning software supports, or get ImgBurn and set it to 4x
Regards
Randy

I know a whole lot of people have said this already, but I registered only to say thank you for posting this! It solved my problem perfectly and without a hitch (rare in this line of work).

Keep up the good work!

bootrec.exe /fixmbr did not work for me.

let me recommend that ms's instructions be followed: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows :

Note When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool.

in other words, let ms have first crack at the problem, using ms's startup repair mechanism, which is found on ms's install-dvd. if that is not successful, then, and only then, should the command prompt strategy be employed. Startup Repair is the strategy that worked for me; the bootrec.exe /fixmbr accomplished nothing.

The command to restore a Windows 7 boot system is Bootsect.exe with the /nt60 switch. A Startup Repair does have the ability to run pretty much all the commands to get the system working again.

Bootrec.exe is more for repairing a corrupted boot system.

I cant tell you how am I grateful for your simple and cut-edge solution. I was in a big mess. :)
I only registerd to thank you.

Having said that, I still have a problem. I can see the loader. I can load ubuntu, but when I ty to load windows7, it does not occur. it asks me startup disk repair from the win7 cd that I have. it did some start up repair and said everything will go fine, but it did not.

I booted from the windows cd to try to repair from a previous restore point that I had (which did not work before applying your solution)

also did not work

I fixed the loader and I could load into Ubuntu but not win7

If you have Windows 7 installed, use your Windows 7 CD/DVD and boot up your PC. Choose your language, and click next. Choose repair my/your computer. You'll get a window with about 6 or 7 options. Choose the Command Prompt (I think it is right at the bottom - could be mistaken)...type the following commands: bootrec /fixmbr, press enter and then enter the following command: bootrec /fixboot...remove the CD/DVD from your drive...hack into your BIOS again and reset the boot order to HDD (the HDD with your Windows installed)...reboot and you should see your windows boot up screen.

Woow thank you so so much,all day i was trying to fix this but you helped me to make it work,thank you.I made this acc just to tell you tnx.Thanks

Hello everybody,
I would like to tell you what happened to me.
1:I had win 8 ent
2: installed Ubuntu 12.04 lts (with grub)
3: deleted the Ubuntu partition due to future upgrade to 8.1 and restarted
4: bug appeared grub couldn't be located or sth like that
5:i googled what other smart people have experiences (found this tread)
6: DID WHAT IS SAID WITH 8.1 INSTALLATION CD ON WIN 8 (important part) and it worked
thank you for your time
whoever says this info is old/inaccurate forget it. Works just fine even for 8.1->8
P.S. the menus in the repair changed though

Thanks a million, Kaiser2011. Having reformatted my hard drive, I had got into a very similar situation with a rescue grub prompt every time I tried to boot from it. Not really being a computer geek, I couldn't make head nor tail of the Grub documentation. But you spelled out what I needed to do in words of one syllable. Thanks again.

A one minute solution is a Rescue CD created from free Macrium Reflect. It will rebuild the boot loader in seconds no matter what the problem is. It works on any Win OS.

Hi,
I registered to thanks the author post kaiser2011.
Anyway I've tried all the above procedure ( except Macrium reflect just above) and nothing worked.
I've tried the same kaiser2011 procedure except I used this command line :

bootrec/fixboot

this worked at the first try !!

So if you are in my situation, consider this option.

TIP: in the same command window if you type bootrec command only you get the options available maybe you need a different one like me .... :)

Hi

I orignally had windows 7 professional 64 bit on my laptop. I had a 10 Gb partition, which i divided in SWAP and / mount to install Ubuntu Linux. My computer now loads into Grub loader.
All is well, its just now i want to get rid of Linux. (I will install it on desktop and mess around with it there.)

I wanted to know how to get rid of the Grub loader. I googled it and found that you can restore the windows (didnt find nwything for windows 7) bootloader using the installation disk and going into repair. The instructions however were all for windows xp and few for vista.

I want to know if it will work for Windows 7. If it is same or different in any way, could some one please outline the procedure for me, with the neccasry commands to use in the cmd.

Note: I dont have a windows 7 DVD. I have a Windows 7 professional upgrade disk 64 bit. My Vista came pre loaded on the laptop, and i have recovery disks for it. Will i be able to do it from the Windows 7 upgrade disk.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Kaiser2011

Thanks Kaiser2011 for your solution. Worked perfectly on a an HP refurbished laptop I purchased yesterday. The linux boot loader was driving me crazy. Thanks again, we appreciate it.

I am facing the same problem. But I don't have the windows 7 installation disk as the OS came pre-installed with my laptop(Sony Vaio). There is a recovery drive which has the OS but it cannot be accessed as there is the 'grub error' when I restarts my computer. I want to remove grub and vector linux from my laptop. Please help me out.
simple way to solve this problem by activate windows.

Back