Windows 8 How to run a game in DX1 - WIC not working

Welcome,

As in the topic I wanted to know how I could play a game ( World in Conflict ) in DirectX 10?

I can't get WIC to work because it crashes after going to black screen in xp sp3 compatibility mode. Normally it is worse: it doesn't even go fullscreen. In massgate forums they told me to run it in DX10 but didn't tell how. Maybe you have another idea?

I have a 7970 ghz, i5 3570k and the 13.1 drivers.

Hi,

it's a long time since I played the game and that was only a demo but if I remember correctly the settings for DX10 or DX9 are found in the games settings under display or video graphics.
Also I'm not sure xp is a great idea for compatibility as xp was DX9 only. Dx10 didn't appear until Vista was released. Is there a particular reason for running the game in compatibility mode? Try running without or set to win 7 only.

Thanks,
Let me explain myself:
Also I'm not sure xp is a great idea for compatibility as xp was DX9 only. Dx10 didn't appear until Vista was released. Is there a particular reason for running the game in compatibility mode? Try running without or set to win 7 only.

The xp sp3 compatibility mode is a result of my attempts to run the game : in Vista, 7 or without it even doesn't make a black fullscreen but instantly says " World in Conflict has stopped working" an that Windows is looking for a solution. In xp sp3 mode it plays the squares application, goes fullscreen and shows the same message as in Vista case.

As you can see I won't be even able to see the opening logos not even talking about changing some settings in-game. I thought there could be a way to do it throught the system, and that you would tell me.

Maybe I shall try doing something with the game files? O

Hi,
have you checked the event viewer? Check to see what's happening once the game tries to start.

Well if you try to start the game up and then look into the event viewer straight after you'll hopefully see why it crashed. Look under Errors or even the critical tab. You might even have to go through the list of events one by one but hopefully the game should be well marked or at least the error should.

There are 2 cyclical errors. One caused by the exe but the module remains unknown, I have a Polish windows so I may translate innacuratly but it says :

• exeption code : 0xc0000096
  • error movement : 0x087c950e

And the second occuring just after is that windows has no access to a flie which path/name is not given.

Hi,

thanks for the above, could you do something else for me? Open Run and type dxdiag and click ok. You'll be asked if you want to check for signatures but just click no. When it opens look near the bottom and click 'save all information'. (see screenshot)
dxdiag.jpg

Save the file to your documents or wherever you prefer. Zip the file up and post.

Here is what the DirectX diagnostics give as a result. ( Sorry didn`t know if you wanted txt or xml):black_eyed:

And YOU are doing something for me, so for that I am grateful.

Attachments

• Results.zip
    31.2 KB · Views: 415
Much thanks.

I noticed your resolution isn't a very common one gaming wise. Try dropping it to 1024x768 or increasing to 1280x1024. Some games won't run if the resolution isn't suitable and this might be the case for WIC..

Back