Windows 10 How to stop auto windows updates?

marcos9999

Updates are so frequent, I have to interrupt my work with updates I don't need. Anyway to stop them?

Look at your settings in the Windows Update window. You can adjust them in several ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bulk of Windows updates are released only on "Patch Tuesday" which is the second Tuesday in the month. On rare occasion there may be an out-of-band patch from Microsoft if it's highly critical and under active exploit. You also can have drivers patched via Windows update and these do not have any release schedule. It's unwise to ever disable Windows updates as this is often is a leading cause of breached or compromised systems.

Instead I would recommend setting up scheduled patching, which as of later builds of Windows 10 you can do even on the home edition of Windows 10.
  • Open Windows settings window by pressing [Windows key + i]
  • Click on "Updates and Security"
  • Under "Windows Update" set your active hours (this will ensure updates only apply after active hours)
  • You can also select Pause updates for X days
As a side note you can just install the updates and leave the reboot for at night or another day. There's no need to reboot immediately after patching.

On Windows 10 Pro, you can use the Local Group Policy editor to disable automatic updates permanently, or you can change the Windows Update settings to decide when updates should install.

Disabling updates
To permanently disable automatic updates on Windows 10, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the experience.
  3. Navigate to the following path:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.
  6. Click the Apply button.
  7. Click the OK button.
Once you complete the steps, Windows 10 will stop downloading updates automatically.

While automatic updates remains disabled, you can still download and install patches manually from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button.

If you change your mind, you can always revert the changes using the same instructions, but on step No. 5, make sure to select the Not Configured option.

Go to "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update". Double-click "Configure Automatic Updates". Select "Disabled" in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and "OK" to disable the Windows automatic update feature

Back
Top Bottom