Windows 8 How to switch from WLAN to LAN adapter? (if both exist)

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Asume I run a notebook which is currently successfully connected to a WLAN. Fine.

Now I plugin a cable to another (!) physical Router into the LAN slot of the notebook.
In order to configure this (second) router I have to type into the browser the localhost addres

But this way I always access the WLAN Router and NOT to the LAN router.

How can I tell my Win7 system NOT to use the WLAN adapter but switch to the LAN adapter?

Even if I disconnect the WLAN and re-type 192.168.0.1 my browser tells me "server not found"
because Win7 still searches for a WLAN connection.

I miss a way to (temporarily) switch the main network adapter in Win7.

Is there a solution?

Peter

I assume both routers have an ip address of 192.168.0.1. The easiest way to completely differentiate between the two and avoid any future issues would be to change the ip address of one of them (something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc), not forgetting the change the range of the DHCP pool settings to correspond.

The common way to accomplish this task is to use the WiFi switch on your notebook computer to turn on and off the radio receiver in your notebook. On many laptops there is a physical switch on the side, front, or keyboard-surface (often at the top above the keyboard and many have LED lights such as Amber, Blue, or White color). If you turn the WiFi switch to the disable position, many notebook models will actually show this in RED, ORANGE, or GREEN lettering right on your windows desktop display to tell you which position your phsyical switch is in. If you disable the WiFi switch, your built-in LAN adapter will automatically connect it to the router you have the ethernet cable physically plugged into *your 2nd router and thus 2nd network*. Your notebook will no longer be able to connect wirelessly to your 1st router. Notebooks are designed to run only 1 internal network at a time; either one wireless connection; OR a hardwired LAN connection; not both simultaneously! :noway:

Pat's method will also work, but you'll have to be savvy with changing your network IP settings, DHCP, DNS, and the like and test each time you connect/disconnect from one network to the other. My method will use the "one-network-at-a-time" built in networking feature within your notebook on 2 different routers (networks). This might take a few hours to get working initially, but it might be easier in the long run. :up:

P.S. If your notebook is one of the many I see that don't have a physical WiFi switch, then you'll need to use a keyboard shortcut such as Fn+F8 (function key and the F8 key together), or a similar combination. In almost all cases there will be an LED *white, blue, green, etc". on the side or top of the notebook case that will be on when your WiFi is enabled and OFF when disabled. You might have to consult your Owner's Manual to find this; but it's often clearly marked on your notebook keyboard.

BIGBEARJEDI :pumpkin:

Back