Windows 10 How to uninstall preview?

qavorq

Honorable Member
For some time now run a dual boot pc for some time now with Win 7 and Win 10 tech preview. I have upgraded to Win 10. So now what I want to do is uninstall the tech preview and the boot menu. I could just format the tech preview drive but would that leave my boot up clean with just the Win 10 booting straight up?

You will want to delete the boot entry out of the BCD store in addition to deleting the partition. Becareful not to delete the main boot entry. I would delete the entry before formatting the partition as in the boot entry should point to the bootloader by partition name Example
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi

If your preview is on partition D then delete the BOOT LOADER entry and not the boot manager entry.

To delete
  • Open an elevated command prompt (Win Key type cmd, right click the cmd icon Run As Administrator
  • Next you will want to list your boot entries, type bcdedit /v
  • Locate the identifer GUID that is for your preview install
  • Type bcded /delete {big-long-guid-number-plus-curly-brackets} /f
  • Now you either reboot and test that it boots straight into your upgraded Windows 10
  • Format preview partition
  • Expand your Upgraded partition

Are you leaving the Preview program.. If so, you may want to stop the preview builds so the machine can reboot and change that configuration.

Back