Hyper-V as standalone server

ResidentPio

I have Windows Server 2016 on it is Hyper-V, can I make an image of this Hyper-V and recreate that image as a standalone server on another machine? how to do it?

Hyper-V is a hyper visor. Do you mean can you take a virtual machine and build a physical server from a VM?

You can take an image of any system running in a Hyper-V environment yes... Transfering that V-system to actual hardware is sometimes possible but the networking and driver setup can be tricky

Generally not worth the extra work

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Windows Forums mobile app

Yes, an image of a Hyper-V virtual machine can be created and recreated as a standalone server on a different machine. This is referred to as "exporting" and "importing" a Hyper-V virtual machine.

Follow the steps below to export a Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows Server 2016:

• From the Start menu, select Hyper-V Manager.
  • Choose the virtual machine to export.
  • In the right-hand pane, select the "Export" option.
  • Click "Next" after selecting a location to save the exported files.
  • Choose the export options you want and click "Finish."

The exported files are going to be saved in the directory you choose. The files can then be transferred to the new machine where the virtual machine will be recreated.

Follow these steps to load the Hyper-V virtual machine into the new system:

• On the new machine, open Hyper-V Manager.
  • In the right-hand pane, select "Import Virtual Machine."
  • Select the location for the exported files and press "Next."
  • Select the import settings you want and then click "Next."
  • After reviewing the summary, click "Finish."

The imported virtual machine appears in Hyper-V Manager on the new system, and you can start it like any other virtual machine.

Back