Windows 8 I Don't Use Hibernate; Is It OK to Uninstall hiberfil.sys?

SEB12

I have a Dell Venue 8 pro running desperately low on memory. I ran SequoiaView on it to see what was taking up so much space and it says hiberfil.sys is taking up 1.2 GB. I'm wondering if it's OK to uninstall it? I don't even have Hibernate on my tablet but I've read online that hiberfil.sys is important for Windows 8; something along the lines of it helps Windows 8 boot faster.

So, is it safe? I don't want to mess my tablet up, but I desperately need the 1.2 GB- my tablet is down to 528MB and slowly decreasing. If anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a Dell Venue 8 pro running desperately low on memory. I ran SequoiaView on it to see what was taking up so much space and it says hiberfil.sys is taking up 1.2 GB. I'm wondering if it's OK to uninstall it? I don't even have Hibernate on my tablet but I've read online that hiberfil.sys is important for Windows 8; something along the lines of it helps Windows 8 boot faster.

So, is it safe? I don't want to mess my tablet up, but I desperately need the 1.2 GB- my tablet is down to 528MB and slowly decreasing. If anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
No you can't delete it because somewhere the file is connected to other things.

I see. Is it safe to disable it or would that not be smart? I am not sure not what to do about my bad memory :/

I have a Dell Venue 8 pro running desperately low on memory.

I see. Is it safe to disable it or would that not be smart? I am not sure not what to do about my bad memory :/

Fyi memory = ram

The real issue here appears to be storage space and the Dell Venue 8 pro supports microSD, SDHC and SDXC cards to add extra file storage or the other option is to un-install some of the junk software but thats something you have to make your own mind up about.

Fyi memory = ram

The real issue here appears to be storage space and the Dell Venue 8 pro supports microSD, SDHC and SDXC cards to add extra file storage or the other option is to un-install some of the junk software but thats something you have to make your own mind up about.

I have an SD card on the tablet but I don't know how that helps. I have saved some personal stuff on that SD (because it has tons of free space) but I don't know how the SD can help the memory. I'm not good with this stuff.

May I ask what you mean by "junk software"? I don't have very many programs installed and I think the ones I have are the important ones.

Ok the issue is that you have a sd-card but are putting all your files on the c drive instead?
1. make some folders on the sd-card for photos, music, docs etc then move your files out of the c drive and onto the sd-card.
p.s don't try to move the folders them selves but open them and move the files that are inside them.

2. Please take a screen shot to show us what you think is the remaining memory... again memory is ram and that isn't the same thing as storage space... press [windows key] + [e] to see your storage space listed for each drive on your machine.
Screenshot (23).png

Ok the issue is that you have a sd-card but are putting all your files on the c drive instead?
1. make some folders on the sd-card for photos, music, docs etc then move your files out of the c drive and onto the sd-card.
p.s don't try to move the folders them selves but open them and move the files that are inside them.

2. Please take a screen shot to show us what you think is the remaining memory... again memory is ram and that isn't the same thing as storage space... press [windows key] + [e] to see your storage space listed for each drive on your machine.
View attachment 30071

My C drive does not contain my photos, music, etc. All of that is on my SD card. This is what the C drive looks like when I open it:
upload_2015-6-25_22-51-41.png

This is a screenshot of all my drives (the C drive and SD card):
upload_2015-6-25_22-52-44.png

My SD card is blue but my C drive is red because of the low memory. I'm not sure what's wrong with it- I went to shower, and it had 660 MB and now it's down to 519 (as you can see).

Do the pictures help?

Do the pictures help?
yes they help.

Your c drive is in trouble and is trying to fix itself but there isn't the space to do the up-keep tasks it needs. you MUST take stuff off it or your system will go tits up very soon!

1. look at your folders... desktop, docs and downloads are all going onto your c drive and thats a bad idea. open these folders and move the stuff out.
upload_2015-6-25_22-52-44.png

2. un-install the programs that are not Windows... make a "programs" folder on your sd-card and then re-install them there if you really can't live without them but you MUST get that c drive back into the blue now.

So, everything in the folders up above my drive need to be cleared out because that takes up space on the C? I need to clear them out? I have all those things saved on the SD card- photos and stuff always seem to save to both those files and the SD.

My SD card has all those folders you have circled. How should I proceed? Delete the stuff in the folder (since they're on the SD card) but not the folder itself?

My SD card does not have the "Desktop" folder. Should I copy the desktop folder to my SD card and then clear the original desktop folder?

Also, the downloads folder, when I open it, shows nothing. I have to go to the C drive, then the Users folder and select the right folder to see my downloads. Know why that is?

Last edited:
Also, my SD card doesn't have the "Desktop" folder. Should I make a copy of the "Desktop" folder for the SD card and empty the contents of the "Desktop" folder located on my C drive into the copy I make on the SD?

yes they help.

Your c drive is in trouble and is trying to fix itself but there isn't the space to do the up-keep tasks it needs. you MUST take stuff off it or your system will go tits up very soon!

1. look at your folders... desktop, docs and downloads are all going onto your c drive and thats a bad idea. open these folders and move the stuff out.
View attachment 30074

2. un-install the programs that are not Windows... make a "programs" folder on your sd-card and then re-install them there if you really can't live without them but you MUST get that c drive back into the blue now.

OK, so, originally, when I would go into the "Downloads" folder, which was NOT on my SD, nothing showed up (though I knew that for ages and found the way into it). I copied the folder and pasted it onto the SD and looked and my card is now down to 200 MB. I clicked on the "Downloads" folder on the C drive and now I see everything. Should I now delete the files in there since they are on my SD?

ussnorway thank you so much. I now have around 1.17 GB. However, the drive is not blue. I will try to find other ways to help my C drive; I just don't know what. BUT, I plan on doing the necessary things to make sure the SD card is the default place for the pictures, videos, etc. to install so they do not install to the C drive and take up space! Again, thank you! (A strange thing has happened though- before all the changes my SD card had 34.2 GB free- now it has 54.6 GB free! Not sure how that works, but OK!)

Welcome... next steps:
1. User storage = size on disc

Open your explorer, navigate to "Users"… find your account name (Ussnorway in my case) and Right click it, then select properties… wait for the system to sort it and it will display the amount of space this profile is taking up on the c drive.

Screenshot (28).png

p.s. I'm at work now but will post something for you to watch later.

2. Press [windows key] + [x] then press [p] to open your "control panel… pick 'Programs and features' to see what is installed and you can take screenshots if you want help with what to remove.
Screenshot (26).png

Screenshot (27).png

p.s. the extra space taken up on the sd drive would have been temp ram/storage taken by the system to help stop a crash and should go back to normal now that your c drive has more room.

Last edited:
Ummm, BIG problem. I went back to the SD drive and ALL the folders are empty! There is nothing in them! I don't know what happened! I had copies of my music saved on my One Drive and that's the only thing I didn't lose. But there is nothing in the folders! Oh no, what did I do?! I lost all my photos and videos and documents (luckily not my books and stuff- I'm a writer)!!!! Oh no no no no no no no!!!!!!

Because the folders in my SD card were copies of the one from the C drove and I deleted everything in the C drive folders, I reckon that deleted everything in the SD too! Oh, this is bad!!!!! I didn't have anything backed up- I don't know how to do all that fancy stuff!!!!

ALL the folders are empty!
Bugger

Because the folders in my SD card were copies of the one from the C drove and I deleted everything in the C drive folders, I reckon that deleted everything in the SD too
No a copy would be fine... what you are discribing sounds like some kind of 3rd party sync program.

Bugger

No a copy would be fine... what you are discribing sounds like some kind of 3rd party sync program.

What exactly is that? Do you want me to send you a screenshot of all my installed programs to see if there's something there that caused this? Because I am very mad. I had a lot of the photos on Facebook and on my Google Plus account and stuff, so I could download them again, but I want to fix this so that photos, videos, etc do not save to the C drive. I want to keep my free space- which has now gone up to 2.73 GB! It's blue now! So, uh, you can see that I really want the free space.

Anyway, I don't even know WHY it's saving photos, videos, documents, etc. to both the C drive and the SD card- the SD card (or D drive, as it has been called) is the default place to save these files. It just might be this "third part sync program" or whatever. I can give you a screenshot like I mentioned. Also, I'm going to go through my programs and look up anything in there that doesn't look familiar or quite right.

Also, I now know why my SD card suddenly had more space. It was NOT because it was trying to stop the C drive from crashing- at least, that was only a small bit of it. Another reason is because all the photos, videos, etc. are gone.

Because the folders in my SD card were copies of the one from the C drove and I deleted everything in the C drive folders, I reckon that deleted everything in the SD too!
Nope. Deleting originals on C: will not impact copies on your SD card. Not if they were actual copies and not something else like shortcuts or other such pointers and not actually copies of the files.

Unfortunately, sometimes what happens, if a users manipulates the default locations of certain profile folders to move them to another location.... say something like C:\Users\YourUserName\Pictures and uses the "location" tab to move it, then what you are left with is a pointer in file explorer that is no longer referencing "Pictures" in your profile directory on C: but the new location and if someone is not mindful of that then they might think they are deleting the contents of Pictures from C: when they are not because it was moved to D: or E: or where ever it was moved to.

My first suggestion would be to grab Recuva from here https://www.piriform.com/recuva and put it to work on that SD card and see what it is able to find in the way of missing files that can be recovered.

Nope. Deleting originals on C: will not impact copies on your SD card. Not if they were actual copies and not something else like shortcuts or other such pointers and not actually copies of the files.

Unfortunately, sometimes what happens, if a users manipulates the default locations of certain profile folders to move them to another location.... say something like C:\Users\YourUserName\Pictures and uses the "location" tab to move it, then what you are left with is a pointer in file explorer that is no longer referencing "Pictures" in your profile directory on C: but the new location and if someone is not mindful of that then they might think they are deleting the contents of Pictures from C: when they are not because it was moved to D: or E: or where ever it was moved to.

My first suggestion would be to grab Recuva from here https://www.piriform.com/recuva and put it to work on that SD card and see what it is able to find in the way of missing files that can be recovered.

Well, I won't lie, I don't understand half of what you said about what might have happened xD I am not very tech savvy. However, I do have Recuva running a deep scan right now. I tried another recovery thing but it only lets you have 1 GB to recover stuff with the free version and it found up to 20 GB of stuff, including a lot of video files (I did loose a lot of video files). I'm hoping Recuva will be nice and let me actually get my stuff back. Thank you for the suggestion.

Back