Windows 7 I have an error message with System restore-And Windows Update says updates have never been installe

Andrea Borman

Honorable Member
System restore error 1.jpgSystem restore error 2.jpgWindows Update.jpgI have a problem with one of my Windows 7 netbooks. I went to System Restore to delete some old restore points by turning it off then on again.When you turn System Restore on or off,a first Windows opens and then a second one does. Then to turn it on or off you select turn System Restore on or off,then click apply and then click ok. And then you get the first Windows you opened and click ok to apply setting.

But the problem I am having now is that-when I try to turn system restore on or off I get an error message saying-"could not check schedule file for the following reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists(OX800700B7)." This happens after I click apply.

Then when I click Ok after that, I get another error message saying"there was an unexpected error in the property page.Cannot create a file when that file already exists. OX800700B7.Please close the property page and try again,ok.

So now every time I need to turn System restore on or off I have to select turn on or off. And after I click apply,and then ok-I have to select cancel,to get rid of the error message other wise Windows will not let me close the Windows in System Restore. then after that I click ok in the first setting windows that opens.and i can still turn System Restore on or off like that.

And I have tested System Restore to see if it works. And I can still restore my computer to an earlier time. So it still works but now I still keep getting that error message I told you about.

And when I went to Windows Update-it said updates have never been installed on my computer,when they have been. so it seems a fault on my netbook has wiped out my update history of the past six months. But when I did a check for updates after seeing that update message it installed some updates for me.

Yesterday I installed Windows Live Photo Gallery for Windows XP-not Windows live 2011.but Windows Live 2009 for Windows XP is for all versions of Windows and for Windows 7.I downloaded it from the Microsoft website by the way. But I had nothing but problems with Windows Live Photo Gallery. It froze on my computer-so I uninstalled it. And every since then I have had this problem with system restore on my computer. Windows Photo gallery come with Windows live sync and a lot of other software bundled into it when you uninstall. So I think that could be the problem,that is causing the problem I have got now with the error message. Which I don't know how to fix.

Why am I now having this problem with my computer-the System Restore error message and my update history has been erased from Windows update? What could be the problem? And can it be fixed without reinstalling Windows?

I have posted some images from my computer of the error messages and the message from Windows update. So what is the problem? Andrea Borman.

Not your main problem, but if my installed updates is empty, once I've done a check for updates, the installed list gets re-populated.

Thank you for your reply,Elmer. I have posted the images from my computer to show you the error messages when I try to turn off System Restore. And I know I should not be getting those error messages and I don't know how to fix it.Or why it is happening.

And as for Windows Update showing me I have never installed updates in the whole 6 months of using my netbook. Well,I do keep automatic updating turn off and set it to never install updates. So I just install updates in my own time,when I feel like it. So I just go to Windows update and scan and install manually. And it is true I did not install updates for over a week.Maybe that is why it is saying I never installed updates.

Maybe Windows only keeps your update history for a certain amount of time. But I don't know.But there is a fault, because I should not be getting that error message on System Restore. And although System Restore still works,I can still create restore points and turn System Restore on and off. And it does restore my computer,there should not be an error message. And even though Windows Update said I have never installed updates.I am still able to install updates.

But I am worried it could be some thing else.It could not be a computer virus could it? I hope not. But it is possible.

Could you look at my images again,it shows the errors.Andrea Borman.

Andrea may I suggest you open a cmd prompt with admin rights and run sfc /scannow and after that install Microsoft Security essentials and run a full system scan.
NmsUK

Andrea may I suggest you open a cmd prompt with admin rights and run sfc /scannow and after that install Microsoft Security essentials and run a full system scan.
NmsUK

As you can see by my images it seems Windows is saying there is a duplicate file in the system already. I have Googled my problem and I have been directed in the search to different pages on other websites. And some say something about deleting a registry key. But whenever I touch the registry it always ends in disaster. And I end up reinstalling Windows by doing a factory restore.

But yes,I will try that system scan in the command prompt. And there is a possibility that there could be malware on the computer. Does not mean there is, but if I do a scan that will rule it out.

But it does seem strange that ever since I installed and uninstalled Windows Live Photo Gallery-the Windows XP version not the 2011 version. That I have had this problem with my computer. But that could be just a coincidence. Andrea Borman.

But it does seem strange that ever since I installed and uninstalled Windows Live Photo Gallery-the Windows XP version not the 2011 version. That I have had this problem with my computer. But that could be just a coincidence. Andrea Borman.
Any software installs will likely write registry entries which are not always removed with an uninstall. If you suspect that this is the problem or part of the problem and as you state;
And I have tested System Restore to see if it works. And I can still restore my computer to an earlier time. So it still works but now I still keep getting that error message I told you about.
I would suggest performing a system restore to a point in time prior to that install. That should put your registry back to the way it was prior to that install.
And perform the sfc /scannow as nmsuk has already suggested.
And if there is even the slightest suspicion of an infection then you should absolutely employ]
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Microsoft Safety Scanner - Antivirus | Remove Spyware, Malware, Viruses Free
Malware, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Protect Your Computer
Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer
All free and time well spent.

Scan results by using command prompt..jpgSystem restore error 1.jpgSystem restore error 2.jpg

The above images are of the error message I am still getting when I turn System Restore on or off. And I have scanned my computer using that command prompt command.And the results are displayed in my first image. And it said some files were corrupt but Windows repaired them. But that did not work because I am still getting the same error message in System Restore as before.

And yes I did do a scan with Malwarebytes but it did not find any infected files nor did Windows Defender.

But note that I can still turn my System Restore on or off but I get the error message OX800700B7,which I don't know what that means,when I do so. To turn it on or off I first open the first and then the second setting Window,then select turn on or restore system settings to turn on. But when I click apply I get the error message and when I click ok I get the same error message. So I have to click cancel to close the second Window. But my settings to turn on or off are saved and then I click ok in the first windows I opened.

So I can still turn System restore on or off and it still restore my computer to an earlier time despite the error message.But because I have deleted earlier restore points from before this happened, I don't have a restore point from an earlier time before this happened.

So the file checker and repairer in the command prompt that nmsuk told me about did repair some corrupt files but did not fix my System restore error message. So I still have the fault. And Malwarebytes found no malware so it is not that.

I clicked that link that Elmer gave me and it says to fix that problem I have to go into the registry and delete a registry key. But I know I would be taking a risk doing that. Because deleting registry keys could make Windows unusable if I made a mistake. And from that link it seems that other people who had the same error code as me could not use System Restore at all. But I can but I just get that annoying error message.

It could be that Windows Live Photo Gallery because it takes over as the default file and photo manager it corrupted some of my files. Hence the error message with System Restore. Or it could be my updated version of C Cleaner as they have added a lot of new features to it. It could be that after I uninstalled Photo Gallery that C Cleaner may have deleted some thing it should not have done in my registry. But I don't know,that is just a guess. So what should I do now? I still have the problem. Andrea Borman.

Well I looked at that link and I could not even find some of the registry keys mention in that post. Well,the registry is very long and has a lot of entries,and so you cannot find every single entry.And the search in the registry is not very user friendly either.So it does not find a lot of things.

And the post is about the same error on Windows Vista,but the laptop that has the problem is Windows 7. But it could work on Windows 7.

But I don't understand my I have this problem. So if I cannot fix the error message problem,it seems I have two choices.

One,I could just carry on using the laptop as it is. And as System Restore still works and I can use it as normal.Despite the error message, I could just leave it.

Or I could reinstall Windows,but as it is a netbook with no CD drive. And as I do not have a Windows CD. My only option is to restore my laptop back to factory condition. This puts the computer back to the way it was when it was bought.And will reinstall Windows from the factory image on the recovery partition,created by the makers,HP.

But that means that I will have to upgrade back up to Windows 7 Professional again.Using my upgrade key that I have kept written down. As the netbook only came with Windows 7 Starter, and also I will have to install the service pack again.As my netbook came with no service packs installed.

So a factory restore will be a lot of hard work for me, taking several hours. But I may not have a choice. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
You do know you can remove all but the last Restore point using Disk Cleanup?

It seems you are basically hacking the system by doing what you suggest. Maybe it has left your system in an unreliable state.

I would suggest you remove all prior restore points to see if it helps.

No,on Windows 7 and Windows XP you can delete all of the restore points,including the most recent one. By turning off System Restore and then turning it on again. But you should then create a new restore point manually,which is easy.

If you have got Windows 7 or Windows XP,take at look at your settings. It should be there on your computer.

But as for my problem,I did click on those links that some other members here gave me. But to fix the problem,it involves going into the registry and editing or deleting some keys. And with my limited experience,I know if I do that I could make the problem worse. As if you alter or delete the wrong registry keys,Windows is out of action.

As I said,System Restore is working as normal, but I just get that annoying error message. So I could either just use the computer as it is, or do a restore to factory condition. Andrea Borman.

So I could either just use the computer as it is, or do a restore to factory condition. Andrea Borman.
One last try and then I give up.
Seems to me that if you are really contemplating a factory reset then it wouldn't do any actual harm to attempt to use some of the suggestions contained in this thread.
Like saltgrass has suggest, remove all existing restore points reboot and create a new one manually and see if the error persists. OR.....
and I would certainly try it before I resorted to a factory reset that would also include a subsequent upgrade, the registry edit and file deletion that I referenced in an earlier post here "Could not create the scheduled task for the following reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)." system restore error ~ Solvers.
Create a manual restore point before performing any such edits and if everything works as planned, great. If not use the system restore point (F8->System Recovery Options) that you just created to get back to pre-edit registry condition.
What files are changed during a system restore?
System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files created under any user account on your computer.
SOURCE: System Restore: frequently asked questions
Additionally, to protect yourself against such issues in the future I would strongly suggest;
A. Creating a system image either with the built in backup utility or third party software (Google for free options) and keep it reasonably current on an external USB hard drive.
B. If you haven't already, create a Bootable Windows 7 (install media) USB thumb drive to help with advanced recovery option in the event that you can no longer access those options from your own hard drive. How To Setup a USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 7 - How-To Geek

One last try and then I give up.
Seems to me that if you are really contemplating a factory reset then it wouldn't do any actual harm to attempt to use some of the suggestions contained in this thread.
Like saltgrass has suggest, remove all existing restore points reboot and create a new one manually and see if the error persists. OR.....
and I would certainly try it before I resorted to a factory reset that would also include a subsequent upgrade, the registry edit and file deletion that I referenced in an earlier post here "Could not create the scheduled task for the following reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)." system restore error ~ Solvers.
Create a manual restore point before performing any such edits and if everything works as planned, great. If not use the system restore point (F8->System Recovery Options) that you just created to get back to pre-edit registry condition.

SOURCE: System Restore: frequently asked questions
Additionally, to protect yourself against such issues in the future I would strongly suggest;
A. Creating a system image either with the built in backup utility or third party software (Google for free options) and keep it reasonably current on an external USB hard drive.
B. If you haven't already, create a Bootable Windows 7 (install media) USB thumb drive to help with advanced recovery option in the event that you can no longer access those options from your own hard drive. How To Setup a USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 7 - How-To Geek

You are right. If I did try those tips from the other website that you linked me to,that involves altering some of the registry keys. The worst thing that can happen is Windows might not start if I do it wrong. And then I would just press the F 11 key to boot into my recovery partition.To do a system recovery factory restore.

And the good thing with my HP netbooks is that there are 2 factory restore options. One is to do a complete factory restore that puts back all of the HP branded software that came installed with my netbook.

And the second recover option minimized image restore,puts it back to factory condition. with a clean install of Windows and all of the essential software,IE8, WMP, etc, and drivers to run Windows and my computer. But without most of that unwanted branded HP software.

But of course I will get back Windows 7 Starter not the Windows 7 Professional I upgraded to. Because the netbook came with Windows 7 Starter and that is the image that the makers put on the recovery partition. So I will then have to upgrade again using my product key that I have got written down in my diary. And I will have to download and install the service pack 1 again. Because my Windows 7 did not come with any service packs either,just Windows 7 Starter.

But at least on this netbook and on my others,I do have the recovery partition. Which is the means to restore to factory condition and reinstall Windows.

But last week I was stupid enough to buy a second hand Windows Vista laptop. Because I wanted to try windows Vista. As I bought the last 2 Windows XP netbooks in the stores that were new. And I like both Windows XP and Windows 7. And I have got most of the Windows Vista software Windows Movie Maker 6 and 2.6,Windows Calendar,Windows Sidebar(vista sidebar) and Windows Mail. All of which is working,even though I don't know how to use the Windows Mail email client.And also I have WMP 11 for Windows 7,but I can get WMP 12 back any time by turning WMP 12 on again in turn Windows features on or off.

But the second hand Windows Vista laptop that just came with Windows Vista Home premium with NO SERVICE PACKS INSTALLED. So that laptop must have been made in 2006-2007 when Windows Vista first came out.

But because something went wrong and I had the blue screen of death.And I could not even access the recovery partition. I took it to a repair centre. And to my horror the computer engineer told me,he could put a new hard drive in but he would have to reinstall Windows Vista. But because it is a new hard drive he would not be able to create a recovery partition. And that I would have to create my own recovery disk,which I don't know how to do. And none of my friends know either.

Which means that every time some thing went wrong with that laptop. I would be faced with the inconvenience of having to run down to the repair shop. And the computer repair man would have to reinstall windows for me. Which he said he would do free of charge as I pay for teck support with that company. But I will not be able to restore to factory condition on that laptop,which is silly. As Windows is unpredictable and some times there is no other way but to reinstall Windows or do a factory restore. As I don't have a Windows CD.Because netboks don't come with it. And the second hand laptop did not either,even though it had a DVD drive.

But I found Windows Vista to be very slow unlike Windows 7 and windows XP which are fast. It took 3 hours to install over 100 first time updates on Windows Vista. It was slow to boot,slow to restart and slow to do everything.

So Windows Vista is NOTHING like Windows 7 or Windows XP.And I found out afterwords that Windows Vista has a lot of problems and bugs that were never fixed.And I wish I had know that before I bought a Windows Vista laptop. Which was a big mistake.

And one of my friends said,if I have all of the Windows Vista software which is great running on Windows 7. And I don't have any problems on Windows 7. Why use Windows Vista,when you can run all of the Vista software on Windows 7. And have all of the benefits of Windows 7.He is right.

But the problem I have on my windows 7 netbook can be solved by doing a factory restore if all else fails.

But the truth is I DON'T know how to create a recovery image or disk. I really don't. I have not got a clue and my friends don't know either. Also if some one gave me a Windows CD,I would not know what do do with it.

I am just trying to explain that I don't know how to create recovery disks or how to reinstal Windows or install operating systems. I only know how to do a factory restore by pressing the F 11 key or FN F 10,models vary.

So when it comes to the crunch I have limited experience with computers. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Well,everything I tried failed. So I have given up and done a factory restore.Restored my computer to factory condition. And I have had to upgrade again from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Professional.Using my product key which I have kept written down. So I got my Windows 7 professional back. And I have reinstalled all of my software,web browsers,media players,etc, by downloading them from the Internet.

But this time, despite my best efforts, I could not install the Windows 7 Service Pack 1. And I have tried many times. But as Windows 7 works perfect out of the box. It does not need a service pack to run it. It works fine without it. So I am quite happy to carry on using my Windows 7 without the service pack.

But the main thing is that now that I have done the factory restore,System Restore is back to normal.No more error messages. Andrea Borman.

Get the windows update readiness tool and run that. Then do the service pack as you do need it as it supplies quiet a few security updates.

Well,when I installed the service pack a few months ago.But that was BEFORE I installed some new programs. But since that time I have installed the following new programs-Classic Shell,which comes with Classic Explorer,Windows Movie Maker 6,Windows Sidebar,(Vista Sidebar)Agent Ransack,a file search tool in Windows Explorer. But please note the programs I have listed here were installed AFTER I installed the service pack,not before.

But Windows Mail,Windows Calendar,Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and WMP 11 were installed before I installed the service pack.But the service pack still installed,so it is not those programs that are stopping it installing. And then Classic Shell,Vista Sidebar,Agent Ransack and Windows Movie Maker 6 came about a month AFTER the service pack was installed.

But this time,after I did my factory restore,I installed all of my programs first. And then after all of my first time updates were installed. I tried to install the service pack from Windows update. But it failed, and so I tried downloading the service pack from the Internet. But still it won't install.

So I was directed to the website from the error message I got. And I downloaded and ran that same tool you told me about. And after that,I tried again, several times to install the service pack. But still no luck, it won't install.

So after that, I tried uninstalling Classic Shell,Agent Ransack,Windows Movie Maker 6 and Vista Sidebar. As these were the programs I installed AFTER I installed Service Pack 1 on my computer,the first time I installed the service pack. Months ago before the factory restore,I did 2 days ago,removed the service pack. Because it restored my computer to factory condition. And the service pack was not on there when I bought the computer.

So I thought, if I uninstalled those programs that might be stopping the service pack from installing. And the service pack would then install,like it did the first time,months ago. And after that I could reinstall my programs again.

But still the service pack would not install. And after several more attempts and running that update tool, I gave up.So now Classic Shell and my other programs I removed are back on my computer. And I still get updates. But I cannot install the service pack.

So I think it does not like one or more of my software, I told you about in the list, on my computer. So I think it could be that the Classic Shell,or Agent Ransack, or some other software, that I have installed is blocking or interfering with the installation of the service pack.

And even when I tried uninstalling it and running C Cleaner,the entries are still on the registry. As when you uninstall a program,you don't get rid of it completely.

But I don't understand why any of those programs should stop the installation of the service pack. And I don't want to do another factory restore.

Has anybody else had this problem? Andrea Borman.

How are you trying to install the service pack thru windows update or the standalone installer?

Well,I have tried both. First I tried to install the service pack through Windows update,that failed. Now I have tried to download the service pack from the Microsoft website,that failed. Despite the fact that I ran the Microsoft Fix It Tool and the Windows update repair tool.

So the service pack won't install. And I think that one or more of those programs I mentioned could be blocking the installation of the service pack. But you can use Windows 7 without the service pack.

And it is not my upgrade that is the problem as Windows is activated. I have checked that as well.

So could I be right? Is Classic Shell or one of my other programs I have installed the reason why I cannot install the Service pack?

The solution to that would be, to install the service pack first BEFORE I install any programs. Like I did the first time a few months ago. But then,if they make a Service Pack 2, then I could still have the same problem. As those programs will be installed after service Pack 1.

Meaning that if I wanted to upgrade to Service Pack 2. I would have to do another factory restore and install both Service Pack 1 and 2 before I installed Classic Shell and my other software.

Microsoft need to make the Windows 7 Service Pack compatible with all of those programs I mentioned As it seems they may be stopping the service pack from installing. But apart from that those programs work great on Windows 7.

A lot of Windows 7 users are running Windows Movie Maker 6, Vista Sidebar, which are for Windows Vista, but work on Windows 7. As does Windows Mail,and,Windows Calendar. And I downloaded them all from the Internet.

And also Classic Shell and Agent Ransack are for Windows 7. It's just that the Service Pack does not like them, it seems. Andrea Borman.

Back