Windows 7 I have win7 and my internet keeps cutting out and after a while it comes back on

elltello

I have windows 7 32bit and my internet cuts off showing a grey screen and after a short interval it comes back on.
message box states internet not responding

Are you certain the message doesn't say Internet Explorer not responding?
What browser are you using??
During these episodes can you still communicate with other network nodes, ping yourself, ping the router, ping 74.125.225.179 ???

I'd agree with Trouble in the sense that you could perhaps try another browser, to find out if it's an Internet Explorer problem or a connection problem. The issue of pinging isn't that simply, unless you're a pro. :redface:

The issue of pinging isn't that simply, unless you're a pro. :redface:
Actually it is pretty simple....
just open a command prompt on your machine and type
ipconfig
and hit enter
that will give you your IP Address as well as the Default Gateway
then in the same command prompt window type
ping and the two IP addresses you're looking at
and I provided an publicly addressable IP address to ping.
So it's pretty simple.

If you wanted to ping other network nodes on your own network a simple ipconfig on those will provide you with their IP addresses.

Thanks, Trouble - you weren't that much of trouble, eh? Good info. :up:

You haven't provided any information.
What exactly doesn't work for you?
During these episodes can you still communicate with other network nodes, ping yourself, ping the router, ping 74.125.225.179 ???

when it stops nothing is available,just have to wait until it restores

I seem to recall that in the first of the boxes it was something to do with "iexplore" but as i am new to computers
i did not know how to respond. and still don't.

When what stops exactly? It is still not clear to me if your browser is hanging or if in fact your entire network is going offline or if your internet connection is failing.
I have asked what browser you are using. So far you haven't said which one but would you install Chrome and Firefox and test if the same thing happens with them.
I have asked you to use a command prompt and attempt to ping (complete with and explanation as to how) and so far you haven't provided any results as to what may or may not have happened.

1. Is the startup of the computer normal? You see clear white text on a clear black background?
2. Does your computer act in any weird way otherwise, or is everything ok? Doing texts or games etc.
3. If you have a laptop, or even with a desktop, you could try it in a friend's apartment.
4. Installed any new hardware or software lately? New drivers?

You see, it can be almost anything. If you have warranty, I recommend what I usually recommend: service. That way you will get it fixed. To give you one example of varieties, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111006164146AAjU0iN

If it should work well in another place = another connection, contact your Internet provider.

Personally, I suspect a hardware failure, viz. network card. Not sure, though.

All of the very best. :)

Last edited:
Back