Windows 7 I think i may of deleted my dvd drive... help

timh86

when i loaded on windows 7 i did it from a cd and once it had loaded my dvd drive stopped working, it would open and close fine but it wouldnt open what was on the discs so through my efforts to find a fix i think i deleted my dvd drive. its not in my computer anymore.

can someone please help me load it back onto my computer???

hey mate yeah i did that but couldnt find "lowerfilters" so i clicked next steps and a fix it thing popped up so i let it do it but it didnt fix it either it says problem not fixed the drive is not assigned a drive letter

You could try placing any disc in the drive. Then type disk management in the start menu and hit enter. Right click on the bar for the cd/dvd drive and assign a letter to it.

timh86 - you might try the following, it's from Microsoft Support on issues that have happened with "missing" CD/DVD drives.

This problem is caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To fix the problem, you have to use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries. To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Help and Support (Help and Support)
Microsoft Windows 7
1. Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image, and then click All Programs.
2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
3. Type regedit, and then click OK.
Collapse this imageExpand this imageIf you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
11. Exit Registry Editor.
12. Restart the computer.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:
Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media

Hope this information helped! ;)

So you are running a new install of Windows 7 now?

If you put a bootable dvd in the drive and boot, do you get the message about booting to the DVD?

Perhaps you need to add drivers for your chipset. Do you know if your manufacturer has some for Win 7?

How old is your DVD? Is it SATA or PATA?

no it doesnt boot like i said im pretty sure i deleted the drive. im runny a lg gh20ns10 dvd burner and its sata and yeah i am using win 7. how do i add drivers to the chipset?

Can't hurt to try this.

Open device manager. Then click on any line, doesn't matter which one. Then click Action | Scan for hardware changes.

Perhaps make a screenshot of Regedit opened to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
key.

You can use snippingtool to do so. Just type it in the start menu and hit enter to open it. You can attach the screenshot using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

Capture.PNGhere it is

The reason I wanted to check if you could boot to the DVD was to remove Win 7 from the problem. I suppose I should add to make sure you have the DVD set to boot first in the bios.

If it will not boot to the Install DVD, or some other, maybe the Drive is broken, or the lense got dirty or for some other mechanical reason cannot read the media.

I would, if you have the capability, download a copy of the Linux Live CD from Ubuntu and try loading and running it. If you can't do that, do you have access to another DVD drive, or can you at least check the connections on the drive.

Something else you might try is to disconnect the Hard drive and see if you can regain control of the DVD.

Last edited:
when i put windows 7 on i did it from a cd and it worked perfectly but after that i had problems with the cd drive the same problems as alot of other people it would recognize there was a cd in the drive but when you double clicked to open it it would just slow right down and basically make it impossible to open the disc. so after getting incredibly annoyed with this i went to the internet to find a fix, i came across bad information which told me to open my compute rright click it and delete it and i did.

So the first problem was win7, the problem now is Ive deleted it and don't know how to get it back. the DVD drive should work fine it shouldn't be broken or the lense shouldn't be dirty.

no it doesnt boot like i said im pretty sure i deleted the drive. im runny a lg gh20ns10 dvd burner and its sata and yeah i am using win 7. how do i add drivers to the chipset?

Windows 7 supplies the drivers for the CD/DVD drive. There is not an independent driver for them.

Try this fix from Microsoft support:

Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media

Microsoft Troubleshooting Services cannot run because local scripting has been disabled on this computer. Scripting may have been disabled for virus protection or as a security measure. For instructions on how to enable scripting, go to the support Link Removed due to 404 Error.
FixIt_55x55.png
Automatically diagnose and repair problems with your CD or DVD drive when trying to read or burn media.
What it fixes...

• Your CD or DVD Drive does not read or write and is shown as disabled
  • The media in your CD or DVD drive cannot be read
  • The media cannot be written to by your CD or DVD drive
  • You receive one of the following errors:
    • A class specific or device specific driver is missing or corrupt
    • A CD or DVD drive cannot be found or is not connected
    • The CD or DVD drive is experiencing a problem that prevents it from working properly
    • The CD or DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter

How it works...
icon_one.png

Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services scans your computer and detects the root causes of common problems, then

icon_two.png

Automatically fixes the problems that it finds, and

icon_three.png

Offers additional resources if the problem isn't fixed

Instruction to Run...

• Click the Run button to launch the file
  • Click the Continue and/or Allow button to proceed
Related Knowledge base article

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Run the diagnostic
By clicking Run now, you agree to the terms referenced in the Microsoft License Agreement.
Run now

Note:

• For our diagnostics to run, the following programs may be installed or enabled.
    • Windows Powershell
    • Windows MSXML 6.0
Read our online privacy statement

Last edited:
To answer your specific question, to reinstall a device you normally do one of the following.

Shut down, disconnect the device and reboot, then shutdown and reconnect the device and boot again. Windows should look for it.

Open Device Manager and right click on the device and uninstall. Windows will then attempt to find it again if it can.

Open Device Manager and click on the computer icon on the top to get Windows to search for any devices.

What you do depends on whether the DVD is showing in device manager. I am not clear on whether the device is showing in Device Manager or if it is, what its status is.

The DVD is a SATA device. SATA drivers are usually included with the motherboard chipset drivers. Windows will normally have acceptable drivers to make your devices useable, but in some cases you may need to load different or additional drivers for your system. In my case, I always use the manufacturers chipset drivers (home built) if some are available for Windows 7. I have a second SATA controller that needed an additional driver loaded which Windows did not seem to correctly recognize. Adding chipset drivers is your decision, but if everything else fails you might consider it if you can find some.

You were having problems with the drive prior to deleting it in Computer, so maybe the fact you can't find it now is related to that.

Last edited:
ok i just did that and it says issue found: the drive is not assigned a drive letter [HL-DT-ST DVDRAM Gh20NS10 ATA device] and thenit says FIX STATUS: Not fixed

Cool. Put any cd or dvd in the drive. Type disk management in the start menu. Hit enter. In the top section, right click on the DVD drive line under the Volume section and assign it any letter you want.

Last edited:
Back