Windows 7 I want to make a web page my wallpaper

rockworthy

Does anyone know how to set a web page as a wallpaper, just like in the days of Windows XP? There must be a way to do this. Thanks in advance,

Rockworthy

HMM, haven't answered anything like this before.:)

Well I guess you could use a screen capture program of the whole page and open up a graphics program and choose paste. I'm pretty sure you don't want the IE interface included.

then save the file as a .jpg.

Easy

I don't think I took a webpage, specifically, as a wallpaper, but I played around with several different sets of pictures in one of the builds between 7000 and 7100. You can use any of 3 or 4 picture formats (.jpg, .png, .tiff, and probably .gif). I am not on my Windows 7 computer right now and I forget the exact steps. Just go where you setup the desktop etc. and prowl around and you will see how to add photos to the desktop and make them rotate. You can add as many different pictures as you want and then set how often they rotate and whether they rotate in order or randomly and how they transition from one to the other. Real neat feature. (edit): This makes your desktop wallpaper act very similar to a screen saver.

I'm sure that if you just do as reghakr says and take a screen capture and save it as .jpg, you can use 'bout anything you want to use as wallpaper. Setting up all that sort of stuff gets quite time consuming and I plan to wait until I have a permanent copy of the OS before I spend gobs more time customizing.

Last edited:
HMM, haven't answered anything like this before.:)

Well I guess you could use a screen capture program of the whole page and open up a graphics program and choose paste. I'm pretty sure you don't want the IE interface included.

then save the file as a .jpg.

i'm sorry, but i have the same problem.
what if someone needs a small portion of his desktop to be an active web page? not a picture of a page, but a real page with scripts? for example, a html calendar? or notes with links in it? or a webcam picture?
i had html parts on my desktop background under xp for many years now. i never thought that they gonna take away that possibility in later versions.

Looking in Help and support for Active Desktop revealed nothing.

I checked my XP machine and there are extra files in the C:\windows\web folder to make Active Desktop work.

So, I believe the last version was XP that offered that option.

I have not tried this, I just spotted it. Go to Download.com and look at the application called "InternetScrap 2.40". It is presented as a program that will capture an entire web page as a .jpg file. You could then use that .jpg file as a desktop wallpaper. Understand I have not tried it, so I cannot vouch for it; I'm just relaying information from Download.com.

I have not tried this, I just spotted it. Go to Download.com and look at the application called "InternetScrap 2.40". It is presented as a program that will capture an entire web page as a .jpg file. You could then use that .jpg file as a desktop wallpaper. Understand I have not tried it, so I cannot vouch for it; I'm just relaying information from Download.com.

will the links work in it? :)

I wouldn't doubt that a bit.

And it crashed often and sucked resources.
I don't know about "Active Desktop" but I tried the "Dream Scenes" thing and it kept my poor old single core processor running at about 30% all the time. Needless to say that was removed immediately. Something like that might be ok if I had a hot multi-core CPU but I guess the needs of the family out weigh my desire for a better computer. Someday. :frown:

I have also created an application that loads a webpage as a desktop background.
The webpage is fully interactive.

You can download the software here Link Removed - Invalid URL

It has a configuration screen and an autostart toggling feature.

Hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• WallpaperWebPage.zip
    859.1 KB · Views: 3,576
Thanks for the Program... Works well not completely like the Windows XP version's where you still have access to your Desktop Icon's but works still the same.. I use mine with some Weather Graphics I like to keep on my desktop. Any chance we could get a look at the code on how this is done???

sure man,

basically i have a standard windows form (maximized),
with a browser control on it,
as for the always-background position, it uses a windows api function from user32.dll,
SetWindowPos(IntPtr hWnd, IntPtr hWndInsertAfter, int X, int Y, int cx, int cy, int uFlags);
i have a timer that every second calls this function to make sure the app is always background.

the rest (menus, configuration window, etc) is simple stuff that can be done by any programmer.

if you need the whole source code, just email me at [email protected], i'll be happy to send it to you.

cheers

Thanks for the Program... Works well not completely like the Windows XP version's where you still have access to your Desktop Icon's but works still the same.. I use mine with some Weather Graphics I like to keep on my desktop. Any chance we could get a look at the code on how this is done???

thank you asherchayyim for this nice little app, it has saved the day for me as I too figured it would be a simple affair to make a web page the desktop. alas no but your program worked a treat.

now, if I may a question to you all. I currently have a web page of my own design as the desktop background, I understand this is probably a web development type of question but I feel it fits here ever so slightly. Anyway, I want to make the desktop webpage editable, this background will be used on a work computer and the webpage is also based on said computer, we want to be able to input data onto the webpage and save it, without the need for opening applications and such.

The information we wish to input would simply be visitor logs and such, so it would only be basic text input though I cant think of a way to do this, can anyone help?

I would say that a better alternative would be to build a Spli-Site using Splinter. Blend the interactive imagery in motion capabilities of video gaming with the unlimited information accessibility of the internet into your desktop environment. Customize the look and "touch" to your needs and desires, do not be stuck with a screenshot of an uneditable html page

I have also created an application that loads a webpage as a desktop background.
The webpage is fully interactive.

You can download the software here http://virtual-host.info/WallpaperWebPage.zip

It has a configuration screen and an autostart toggling feature.

Hope you enjoy it.

Fantastic. works a real treat :D
One question. I have dual screens. I can't choose to put the webpage on the secondary monitor, it auto selects the primary. Andy chance this can be included?

Thanks in advance

yarb … while you did type the name "plastuer" correctly … the actual url is spelled incorrectly … therefore it's a dead link. btw … nice to have you join us here at windowsforum.com .

Back