Windows 7 Icons not refreshing in Taskbar

MelissaKirk

I have a brand new Windows 7 64-bit machine and I am having an issue with the taskbar not refreshing with the program icons when I open or close a program. I can refresh the taskbar manually by right clicking and changing something so that they will refresh, but this becomes tedious if I open and close programs throughout the day.

Please help me... This is sooo frustrating. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately, it didn't work. When I load a new program, the icon doesn't show on the task bar until I make a change to the settings to manually refresh it.

Right click the taskbar and choose properties. By "Taskbar Buttons", choose "Never Combine" and try again. What happens?

I know that even with combined checked, your problem shouldn't exist, but I want to try something.

I switched to Never Combine, closed out a program and loaded it again. The program icon didn't show although the program is open but if I leave the program to use another, I have to toggle through my windows to get to it.

1. Try chnages on DPI setting and screen resolution in your computer

To change Screen Resolution:
To access screen resolution settings, click the Start button. Select Control Panel.
In the Control Panel, select Appearance and Personalization.
In the Display area, click Adjust screen resolution.
Click the drop-down list next to Resolution.
Adjust the slider to the desired resolution.
Click Apply.
Click Keep to use the new resolution or click Revert to go back to the previous resolution.
To change DPI Settings:
Click “Make text and other items larger or smaller”.
Select a DPI size.
Click Apply.
Click Log off now to apply changes.

2Try with different widnows Theams

Unfortunately, I cannot lower my resolution as I work with graphics programs and have to have the optimum resolution on my screen. Upon realizing this, I tried a few different things that I hadn't thought to try before. Here's the situation: I have two monitors set up with my system and using my graphics card, I have the task bar scroll across my two screens. The programs on screen #1 show up on the task bar at the bottom of that screen and programs on screen #2 show up at the bottom of the other. When I realized I could change the font size/resolution on one monitor and not the other, I began to wonder if the issue was how my monitors were set up. I started moving programs around from one screen to the other and it seems that programs show up on screen#1 without an issue, where it's hit or miss with screen #2 - where I primarily load my programs. So therefore, it turns out that it's an issue with my graphics card. Looks like I either live with the issue, or don't span my task bar across both screens.

Thank you for your help... without having to play with the resolution and thinking about trying the different monitors, I wouldn't have come to this conclusion. Do you know if there's a way with Windows 7 to extend the task bar across both screens?

I myself work in graphics and editing and have a triple monitor setup. What is the model and make of your graphic card and what exact version of Windows and graphic driver did you install. Also, do you have the Windows 7 SP1 installed? Did this start happening immediately after the Windows installation or not?

I will be checking in only about once every hour so anyone else feel free to jump in.

p.s. set up your monitors to "extend".

Last edited:
My graphic card is an NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (driver version 8.17.12.5929). I have Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit SP1. This has been happening since day 1 with this computer - and I have the monitors set up to "extend". Thanks for your help with this... I really hope I can resolve this issue and continue to use the extended task bar.

I don't understand how you have the taskbar spread across both monitors without a 3rd party app. Windows does not do this if you have the display set to extend and not mirror. Do you use a 3rd party app like "Actual Multiple Monitors"?

I'm trying to think if has to do with the video card driver. Do you have one? Matrox? Canopus? Other?

Also, try playing with the CCC settings and see if it makes a difference. If you have NVidia, I'm assuming that's the program you are using.

I finally had the new driver installed and I *THINK* that may have solved my problem. I didn't even know there was a new driver out there! Thank you so much for your help!

Good to hear. Thanks for the follow-up and updating your thread with that information. Glad to know that you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back
Top Bottom