Windows 10 Important Troubleshooting Tool for Upgraders

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
I have been trying to upgrade my Windows 7 Pro PC to Windows 10 all week and with the help of a Microsoft 2nd level Support Tech we were finally successful. His conclusion was that even though there were no corrupted System files on my PC, my PC suffered from a great deal of corruption. I thought this was strange as my PC was always rock solid but he downloaded a utility program called Tweaking.com Windows Repair from Tweaking.com. There were many check boxes on the left side of the app and he checked almost everything except the ones that were specific to Windows 8.x before invoking the repair process which took quite a while to complete. Not sure what all it did but it worked as we were able to get Windows 10 Pro installed on a system that previously choked every time we tried to invoke Windows update. Note that I did invoke the upgrade from a Windows 10 Pro install that I created by downloading the ISO file on my laptop. I wanted to get the name of this tool out there as I had not heard about this utility before and probably would have been afraid to use it had I not seen he Microsoft Tech use it. It seems to me that many people that are having issues installing Windows 1o may benefit from giving this utility a try. Others may find it beneficial to run this utility before they even attempting the upgrade.

Hi Moondoggy,

Thanks for this post; I've used their older tool prior and had some limited success. Most of my problems at the moment are with attempting to upgrade older XP-era & Vista-era machines to wx. I will be talking about that here in the Upgrade & Installation subforum over the next few months as I have 2 workshops to conduct that cover these older machines. Keep an eye out!

In my locale, a mountain resort community about 60% of my community are retired seniors, and then tend to hold onto their older computers and are very reluctant to let them go even when they are outdated. I still have a number of Customers bringing me XP-era machines and the not very computer-literate folks up here think that Win10 is the answer to speed them up.

At this point, my testing shows on my main Dell desktop (Vista era; built 2008), the wx ISO file you mentioned fails to upgrade my Dell to wx. I've downloaded both the 64bit and 32bit versions, no luck either. I have a slightly older Dell desktop (Dimension E520, built 2007) that also came with Vista. I've been running the TP versions since last Sep. 2014 on it with no problems, on multiple hard drives and multiple configurations with no problem. I haven't tried the RTM July 29th ISO disc on that machine, also Vista-era, but that's next.

Not sure what the issue is, other than M$ officially refuses to state that any XP-era or Vista-era hardware will work with the FREE upgrade; downloadeable or manual install from ISO disc. Officially, M$ has stated this week that if your computer, whatever the age, is capable of running a licensed Win8.1 OS, it will take either Win10 upgrade; update download or ISO disc install. This makes sense as M$ has stated initially Win10 OS releases such as RTM will use Win8.1 hardware drivers. Hardware-wise we testers have concluded, and it's been confirmed here, that Win10 will NOT install on any computers built prior to 2006 regardless of whether your existing OS is Genuine Activated or not.

I won't go into it too much further, as I don't want to hijack your good post, but I will say, I suspect that purchasing a legit Win7/8/8.1 license for this desktop (Dell) and then performing the upgrade either method should work. However, the next test will be if I can purchase a Win10 licensed media with key brand new and get the Win10 to install directly on this Vista-era computer. As I just reported to davehc, I did have success upgrading my Vista-era Sony laptop (built 2008) to wx via a purchased license Win7 Home upgrade. So, on my laptop Win7 Home-->Win10 Home went pretty flawlessy. But, I suspect that the new version tweaking.com tool will come in handy as most Customer Win7 machines won't be as clean as mine was. I will probably revisit use of this tool in the near future I'm sure; thanks again!

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom