Windows 8 Installation problem by installing windows 8 on virtualbox (VM)

dennis

Dear readers,

When I try to install windows 8 on Virtualbox (an application that runs virtual platforms (VM)) it give me this error:

64-Bit :
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem :

1. insert your installation disk and restart your computer.
2. choose your language settings, and click "next".
3. click ""repair your computer"

If you don't have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File : \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info : this 64-bit application couldn't load because your PC doesn't have a 64-bit processor.

Well, I really have a 64-bit computer so that can't be the problem, I've burn the .ISO on a disk but there is no disk needed for Virtualbox you will be able to simply choose the .ISO file so than wont help either.

I thought let's try the 32-bit version of windows 8

32-bit :

Your computer needs to restart.
please hold power-off button to restart

ext...

Does someone have a fix or an alternative so I can just hold my windows 7 as my default operating system and when I like to test windows 8 I can simply select it and I can easy go back to windows 7.

information from a dxdiag file :
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2011, 19:33:32
Machine name: DENNIS-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: K50ID
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 2338MB used, 5850MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 320M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2D&SUBSYS_13121043&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2770 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO22EC
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.042Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.8026 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.8026
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/3/2011 13:50:00, 15064168 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-496D-11CF-A96C-1E331CC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0A2D
SubSys ID: 0x13121043
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem27.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section046:8.17.12.8026:pci\ven_10de&dev_0a2d&subsys_13121043
Rank Of Driver: 00E60001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 42.6 GB
Total Space: 119.2 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST950032 5AS SCSI Disk Device

Drive: D:
Free Space: 221.7 GB
Total Space: 340.7 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST950032 5AS SCSI Disk Device

Drive: E:
Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C SCSI CdRom Device
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (Dutch), 11/20/2010 11:19:21, 147456 bytes

Kind regards,

Dennis
Netherlands

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but the CPU may not support hardware virtualization at all. If this is the case forget it. The Pentium dual cores were thrown together rather hastily and essentially lack the feature sets for virtualization of many modern processors. This includes the Intel Core Duo line of products as well as the i3, i5, and i7. Check out AIDA64 trial to get some information on your processors and see if you see hardware virtualization lacking.

"This 64-bit application couldn't load because your PC doesn't have a 64-bit processor."

Unfortunately, this kind of message is just a standard warning that in this case, and in this instance, you're not going to get it to run. VirtualBox has always been kind of weird since it is free. I'm not going to tell you to try VMWare Workstation 8 because of the processor you're using. But that is definitely where the problem will be for this.

As Mike has already stated according to this your processor does not support Hardware Virtualization, so you're not going to be able to install the 64bit Version of Windows8 to a virtual box virtual machine.
Get yourself the 32bit version and you should be good to go.

As Mike has already stated according to this your processor does not support Hardware Virtualization, so you're not going to be able to install the 64bit Version of Windows8 to a virtual box virtual machine.

You mean the 32bit version of windows 8 on Virtualbox? I have already try it and then it gives me an error and it said :

Please press the power off button to restart.

So that won't work either...

Or did you mean to install the 32bit version of windows 7 and try it again?

Kind regards,

Dennis
The Netherlands

Yes I meant the 32bit version of the Guest OS not the Host OS. and "Please press the power off button to restart" doesn't sound like an error message that I'm familiar with, actually doesn't sound much like an error message at all. Please start over, clear out any Windows 8 VMs that may be taking up space on your system presently and take your time, rebuild a VM just for Windows 8 (32bit), while you're building it don't allow/enable any hardware that is unnecessary, like serial ports, audio controllers, floppy controllers, etc., you can come back and add them to the VM later if you want or need to.
Also make sure you have the latest version of Vbox from Oracle. Trust me it works if you stick to it, are you loading the OS onto the virtual machine using the ISO directly or have your burned the ISO to Disk??
Regards
Randy

After all these things I decided to just install windows 8, now I'm done with it (the installation). I am typing this from my Windows 8 ;)

But now my files are in "wildows.old". Am I able to swap between windows 8 and windows 7 with that (or with something else)?

I ask this cause some programs like photoshop cs3 wont run with windows 8 now...

Your windows.old should work with windows 7. Are you dual booting?

It's odd CS3 doesn't work (have you tried to run as admin). CS2 works fine.

I already tryed to run as admin and compatible mode on Windows 7 doesn´t work to. I get the error : The program can't start because dbghelp-xfw.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Edit : I reinstalled it but now it says : The specified module could not be found. C:\program files(x86)\common files\adobe\adobe version cue cs3\client\3.0.0\versioncue.dll

Any suggestion?

I'm not sure. CS2 doesn't seem to have that file or folder in \common files\adobe\ .

You may want to try solution 1 or 2.
How to Fix Versioncueui.dll Error | DLL-Error-Fixes.com

I already tried that but it still doesn't work, while I was doing that I found out there is no "adobe version cue" folder at all... I will try reinstalling the program now...

Now it gives me this error again... The program can't start because dbghelp-xfw.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I reinstalled the program and now it works :D I only get the "The program can't start because dbghelp-xfw.dll is missing from you computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"error but I just hit OK and the program works fine :D

I had 2 problems. First I had to update my Bios on my laptop to allow me to enable virtualization. Took a while to find the update (forgot the PC originally came with Vista). This allowed me to install Virtual Box. I then found my original download of Win 8 Dev Preview was corrupt and had to re-download to obtain a good copy. This then did install properly.

When I Try 32bit I See This Error:

"Failed to open the CD/DVD image C:\Users\Brenden\Downloads\Windows8-ReleasePreview-32bit-English.iso.

Could not get the storage format of the medium 'C:\Users\Brenden\Downloads\Windows8-ReleasePreview-32bit-English.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)."

Details:

"Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: Medium
Interface: IMedium {53f9cc0c-e0fd-40a5-a404-a7a5272082cd}
Callee: IVirtualBox {c28be65f-1a8f-43b4-81f1-eb60cb516e66}" :apologetic:

Back
Top Bottom