Windows 7 Installed Windows7, now I want to go back to XP

Neotanium

Hi there, I seached the forums for my problem first (tried to avoid re-creating a thread on the same topic)

Basically, I had XP, downloaded Windows 7 RC, burnt it to a DVD. Before I installed Windows7 I did a full system backup. thinking that I could just restore the backup if I don't like windows7.

So, in the installation of windows 7, I chose to delete all the XP files, since I have back-ups of them, etc.

After about a day of testing it and playing with its gadgets, I noticed that my XP use to run faster on XP, and was better off for what I use it on XP.

I chose to reinstall XP, so I can restore my backup's.. but, thats where all my hell started. I put in the XP disc, rebooted the PC, and then chose to boot from disc. The first part of the install came up, and I chose to delete the partitions and selected the unpartitioned space for the XP install (knowing it will force an Format). So, the PC formated the harddrive, then copied a few files and then prompted that it will reboot in 15seconds, which it did.

When the PC started up after the reboot, it just gives me the "Error loading operating system" message.
I re-tried the process, it did the same thing. I then tired doing one where I install on a new partition, same result. I then tried one where I install on a new partition, leaving 100mb's unpartitioned, same result.

I then tried reinstalling, windows7 (which worked properly) and then reinstalled XP from a CD boot, letting it over-rite the c:/WINDOWS files, same result.

I then tried taking the hard drive out of the PC, putting it in a XP machine. Formated the hard drive and restored the backup's on it. (as it was a full harddrive backup, the OS files were also on it), when I replaced the hard drive into this PC, same result.

So, I basically, just reinstalled Windows 7 again. But I really want XP back...

Anyone got any ideas on how to get past the "error loading operating system" message?
(does windows 7 change one's BIOS settings? and is that even possible? :eek:)

Any Advice will be greatly appreciated.

(ps, to the moderators, I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move it if needed)

til L8r
Neotanium

First things first are you sure you have no peripheral devices USB or otherwise other than mouse keyboard and monitor at this offending reboot?
No problems re installing seven? Sounds like your XP disc may be damaged? If your installing it on a completely formatted drive with no other partitions and no other OS it can't be a bootloader problem and if you can install seven on the drive in question the drive and cables are not faulty. This may not be an official troubleshooting step but if you attempt to boot off the cd again after this reboot and attempt startup repair does it find anything?If you had some sort of a leftover loader problem startup repair should find it.

First things first are you sure you have no peripheral devices USB or otherwise other than mouse keyboard and monitor at this offending reboot?
No problems re installing seven? Sounds like your XP disc may be damaged? If your installing it on a completely formatted drive with no other partitions and no other OS it can't be a bootloader problem and if you can install seven on the drive in question the drive and cables are not faulty. This may not be an official troubleshooting step but if you attempt to boot off the cd again after this reboot and attempt startup repair does it find anything?If you had some sort of a leftover loader problem startup repair should find it.

Hi, firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer. :)

Hmm, the only items I had connected was my Screen and my Wireless keyboard and mouse (it links with a USB cable), however, I have re-formated my PC a few times and never had problems with the connection of the wireless keyboard and mouse on the install... however I got an old PS2 mouse and keyboard somewhere in the house, will test with those.

Also, as for the CD, that was one of my first thoughts too, As I was using my XP Home CD, I then tried with my XP professional CD (licence to the other computer), and it also gave the "error loading operating system".

And, I tried a recovery, it picks up the /WINDOWS folder, however from there it goes into a DOS screen. (DOS is a over my head, and I am pretty much clueless as to what to do there)

right now, I am typing this on the Pc that I am having the problems with, running Windows7 perfectly on it, (if my PC was a bit stronger I would have stayed with it, but it a bit laggy on my side when I run data intensive programs.) But it is definitely a better OS then Vista. :D

Thanks again, and any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

are there multiple partitions on this hard drive?Meaning is it all one drive you want to install XP on or is it partitioned into multiple drives? If it is only one partition when you boot from the XP CD you should be choosing to comp;etely reformat the drive your putting XP on you should have a completely clean bootloader.

Can you go to controlpanel----> administrative tools, in the center panel double click computer management, and in the left pane expand storage and click disk management. Post a screenshot. I don't want to offer any suggestion that may hose something important seeing what partitions and discs are installed i'll know what i feel comfortable recommending.

Its all running as one drive, and I have formated it a few times (both the NTFS quick format and the lengthy normal NTFS format)

Here is the screenshot as asked for:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks again for the help. :)

Thats wild i'm stumped as to why this would happen and according to my knowledge (which isn't that extensive) it should be impossible. If the next time you install XP be sure to do a long format (take a nap or something) and should it fail the command(s) you want to run from the recovery console are:
fixmbr (try that first)
and
fixboot
both don't need a drive listed after because you only have one, I have no real idea that this will solve your problem since your problem seems to be contradicting itself but once your dealing with a formatted drive with only a useless installation of XP they cant hurt anything which oddly enough is why you shouldn't be having a problem

Last edited:
Well, its rather late (or should I say early?) in my time zone... so I will try it after I get some sleep and let you know what the results are.

If you have tried to apply one of those recent activation schemes you probably have screwed up your bios. :rolleyes:

Well, just an update....

I again booted from the CD, let the disc format, got to the part where the PC reboots and got the error loading operating system message. So, I rebooted the PC, booted from the CD again and the ran the recovery console. I tried the fixmstbr it said that it fixed the master boot record, etc... rebooted the PC, and when it got to booting from the harddrive, "error loading operating system". So I rebooted again, booted from CD and tried "fixboot", with the same end result.

I kinda made peace with the fact that I am stuck on Windows 7 now. :frown: Now my problem is to get 3dsmax 2008 to work, I get 3dsmax(11) 2009 working and I get 3dsmax9(2007) working, but not the '08 version that I need for a plugin to work. :frown:

Oh well, back to google searching for a new plugin...

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom