Windows 7 Installer issues? Temp folder issues?

Alvar van Rijn

Problem

When installing a program with a setup file from my data partition (E:\) or a (virtual) disk to C:\ I get error codes indicating installer cannot create files in the temp folder.
When I then copy the setup file to anywhere on C:\ it runs and installs without any problem.

So I can't install software from a (virtual) disk.

What i did to cause this?
The only thing I can come up with is moving some of the special folders to the data disk; my documents, my music, my videos, my pictures, desktop, saved games and downloads. I did this by creating a folder, for example E:\Desktop and then going to C:\Users\Marja, r-click on Desktop folder and selecting Move... Then pointing to E:\Desktop and included all files when moving.

Good to know:
- It installs windows updates without problems.
- Clean install is not an option
- Different errors occur for any setup.exe from any program and always indicate not being able to write/create data to temp folders. For example; "Error 5 Access denied", bla bla was not able to create temporary folder, NSIS errors.

What I tried:
  1. Switched of Avast (only active security)
  2. Took ownership of the setup file and took ownership of the temp folders.
  3. Check if the Temp folders were set to the right location. They were. Though at the moment I can only find: C:\Users\Marja\AppData\Local\Temp
  4. Logged in on administrator account Marja.
  5. Ran the setups as administrator
  6. UAC is on lowest setting. No notifications.
  7. Ran SFC /Scannow twice. Found some issues first time, fixed them, didn't solve the problem. Second time no issues found.
  8. Ran repair from USB windows install 'disk'. Found no problems with windows.
  9. Went to temp folder and r-click removed the 'read only' mark from the folder and sub folders and files.
What to do?
[Blank]

Attached
View attachment DxDiag.txt

Attachments

• msinfo32.txt
    503.6 KB · Views: 555
Did you use the approved method to move the data folders, or did you just copy and paste the folders to the new location. If you just copied and pasted, then the pointers in the OS are now incorrect. That's why you should use the method outlined.

I moved the same folders you mentioned. I download apps to my Download folder all the time (On my Data Drive) and it executes nicely fright from there.

Back