Installing a ne hard drive that used to be in a mac (help)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by dimaisawesome, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dimaisawesome

dimaisawesome New Member

Hello. so this is a simple question but i just wanted to ask because i wanted to make sure i know what i am doing. So my moms old MacBook is no longer functioning, broken. It's a really old computer (2006 model) and sense she's not using it i thought why not take the 300gb hard drive thats inside her lap top and put it in my Dell Desktop, i need the extra space anyways. So i'm wondering on how i can do that.I know that i will have to reformat the drive and everything will be lost, i just need to know how to take the macbook apart and what cords and what not i will need to install it into my pc. Thanks.

2. JesseATdell

JesseATdell Well-Known Member

dimaisawesome,

The laptop's hard drive is a 2.5" and the Dell Desktop hard drive is 3.5". You would need to purchase an adapter that connects a 2.5 HD to a 3.5 connector in the desktop computer. As far as opening up the MacBook you would need to search Apples website for documentaion.

Thank You,
    JesseatDell

#2 JesseATdell, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. dimaisawesome

dimaisawesome New Member

Thank you for the info. I will search more on that.

4. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Once you have it installed as a second hard drive you should be able to format it in Windows Explorer if it's recognized by Windows without any problems.

In a desktop the connections you need are likely to be there already.

There is usually an extra power cord from the Power Supply and an additional connection on the main Cable that connects to your existing hard drive.

The easiest way to find out is to open up the case and look.

You could also buy and external adapter and use the hard drive as an external hard drive that plugs into a USB port.

Something like this...

StarTech.com 3.5in Black USB 2.0 to IDE SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Storage enclosure- IDE / Serial ATA-300

Mike

5. dimaisawesome

dimaisawesome New Member

Yeah a friend told me the same thing i found one on ebay for $5 and i might get it soon so yeah.