Windows Vista Installing HP Photosmart 1215 on vista...

On stgep 6 I get a "not responding" message. What am I doinf wrong?

QUOTE=Unregistered;13889]I have an XP box with a 1215 running on it, and to print to it from Vista is pretty simple.

On the Vista box:

1. Go to the printers control panl.
2. Right-click, "run as administrator", add printer.
3. Add a LOCAL PRINTER.
4. "Create a new port"
5. Type of port "local port"
6. Port name is the UNC share of your printer. Mine is "\\xpmachine\hp1215"
7. Choose the Photosmart 7200 built-in driver.

That's it! Not entirely intuitive. Damn HP and their "we don't support this printer under Vista". :([/QUOTE]

Hi Guyz!

Quik msg of appreciation to say thank you very very very much!! Note: i had to choose 'DOT' from the drop down list then series 7200 as someone suggested

regards!!

Romeo

London

Well but it won't be able to scan, will it?
My Vista added it by itself and it can print all right.

Re: Getting this Fix to Work for A Network Printer

Click next, wait until the list of possible printer drivers appear
Go to HP on the right, click on "HP Photosmart 7200 Series" on the right
Click next, click finish

When I do on my XP Pro machine the HP Photosmart 7200 Series doesn't appear. I have all Windows updates..what am I missing?

I realize this thread is stale but hopefully someone will chime in. S

Hi StoneyJ

If you are looking to install a driver for your XP OS and your printer is the Hp 1215 you should use the latest driver for XP at:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you have Vista OS, there is no supported driver on the website for this printer but many forum users have found this workround:
Here is a step by step description of how to install.

1.) Go to device manager and make sure you remove any reference to the Photosmart 1215.

2.) Go to printers and manually install, right click in the open printers window and choose Run As Administrator>add printer.

3.) Add a local printer using the existing port: USB001(virtual printer port for USB)

4.) In the next window choose Manufacturer: HP, Printers: HP Photosmart 7200 series.

5.) Then hit next and away you go, you should have the little window asking if you want to print a test page, click yes and if all went as well as it did for me it should be printing a test page.

PS Make sure the printer USB is plugged in and printer is turned on.

Thanks. The printer is connected via USB on the XP Pro machine (printer is shared).

I downloaded the latest driver but for some reason the installation aborted after the bar completed its travel across since I didn't get any verification of a successful installation.

The Laptop (wireless) has the Vista. I am able to add a printer as 7200 via USB001 but when I try and print a test page I get nothing.

I attempted to add a printer driver on the desktop with 7200 but when it asked me which manufacturer and printer the 7200 doesn't show up.

S

HP deskjec 990c works better than 7200 for photo 4x6 size on my printer. 7200 driver could lock the printer sometime.

Thanks everyone for this superb fix - it works! Saved me buying a new £70 printer also...Just for Vista.

Thanks everyone for this superb fix, I hope it works so that it could save me from buying a new printer.

Thanks everyone for the tips here. However my 1215 has a duplexer which I bought separately and the 7200 driver doesn't allow me to specify that it is connected so I can't print double-sided with it. However businessjet 1200 series drivers also appear to work ok with the 1215 (although I haven't trie dphoto quality yet) and I can enable the duplexing unit.

hp printer is very easy to install.I have HP Photosmart 1215.It is the one of the best hp printer.I also have hp laser printer which is the fastest color laser printers .

Philip Jones

HP Q5949x

Thanks for the fix - I have been trying to solve this problem for months. I am going to try the same fix for my MAC

Re: Installing HP Photosmart 1218 on vista...

try the photosmart 8200 it works better

This fix worked on my Photosmart 1218 except for the fact that I have a duplexer installed. I wonder if anyone has an idea of how I can enable the automatic duplexer? Is there another printer driver that would enable that feature for this printer?

Re: HP photosmart 1215

Its real easy load the HP photosmart 7200 driver and on the port select DOT that worked for me Thanks - this works great, even with netgear printserver connected to the 1215.

Thank's for the clue ! I first tried the install with the virtual USB port, without success. Then I followed the same steps (*) BUT I installed the printer on a port called "DOT4_001 (IEE 1284.4)". To my surprise it worked !!
Thank you !

(*) Initial steps were posted there: http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/9403-installing-hp-photosmart-1215-vista-2.html

Here is a step by step description of how to install HP Photosmart 1215 on the DOT port.

1.) Go to device manager and make sure you remove any reference to the Photosmart 1215.

2.) Go to printers and manually install, right click in the open printers window and choose Run As Administrator>add printer.

3.) Add a local printer using the existing port: DOT4_001 (IEE 1284.4)

4.) In the next window choose Manufacturer: HP, Printers: HP Photosmart 7200 series.

5.) Then hit next and away you go, you should have the little window asking if you want to print a test page, click yes and if all went as well as it did for me it should be printing a test page.

I get the impression that various hardware (and software) manufacturers clap their hands in glee every time M$ launch another dimwitted OS.

I'm sure the failure to update drivers is a move designed to get us to junk perfectly good stuff and buy the same gear all over again. - 'till next time!

I had the same problem with a Canon, it would only print B&W despite the Vista driver update. I assumed it was dying and bought a new one just to find that when I decided to keep the old one for basic stuff on a XP setup it went back to printing perfectly again.

It looks like the mainly business use stuff is the more durable as - I assume - they won't put up with this shit.

In future, I'll buy what they buy - It'll last longer.

Thanks for this twist on the 7200/1215 theme. I had been able to get the printer working when connected directly by using the 7200 driver, but it did not want to communicate through my desktop client with XP. Tried this and it worked right away.

I have an XP box with a 1215 running on it, and to print to it from Vista is pretty simple.

On the Vista box:

1. Go to the printers control panl.
2. Right-click, "run as administrator", add printer.
3. Add a LOCAL PRINTER.
4. "Create a new port"
5. Type of port "local port"
6. Port name is the UNC share of your printer. Mine is "\xpmachinehp1215"
7. Choose the Photosmart 7200 built-in driver.

That's it! Not entirely intuitive. Damn HP and their "we don't support this printer under Vista". :(

Can anyone tell me where I can find the HP 7200 series driver. One of the postings said that it was supplied by Vista. I'm confused. Thanks. Bobbi:rolleyes:

Back