Installing .NET Framework for x86 on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by diamondmedows, Jul 7, 2010.

1. diamondmedows

Hi,

I'm trying to install a program that was built to run on Windows XP but it tells me I need to install a .NET Framework 1.x or higher. I know that Windows 7 has .NET already installed but only for x64 programs (? I'm guessing) but when I try to install and earlier version of .NET (2 or 3) for x86, it won't let me. I start the install using Windows XP SP2/3 settings but once it opens and I click the install button, the next window tells me that I can't install this .NET on an x64 system.

Is there anyway that I can get around this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. cybercore

cybercore New Member

Welcome to win7forums.

Right click the program's installer file -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> Windows XP.

As for .Net Framework, you do not need any earlier x86 versions, since the one you have comprises them all.

3. diamondmedows

I've tried that too. It still asks me to install .NET 1.1.4 or higher.

4. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Extraordinary Member

Hello,

I believe the Program that your installing is not compatible with Windows 7 OS resulting this behavior. You could try the XP Mode Download Windows XP Mode

Hope this helps,
    Captain

5. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

6. cybercore

cybercore New Member

The software may be old enough to require exactly that .NET version. If the installer cannot be modded to skip that requirement, I suggest you go XP Mode as suggested by Captain Jack.