Windows 7 Installing .NET Framework for x86 on Windows 7

Hi,

I'm trying to install a program that was built to run on Windows XP but it tells me I need to install a .NET Framework 1.x or higher. I know that Windows 7 has .NET already installed but only for x64 programs (? I'm guessing) but when I try to install and earlier version of .NET (2 or 3) for x86, it won't let me. I start the install using Windows XP SP2/3 settings but once it opens and I click the install button, the next window tells me that I can't install this .NET on an x64 system.

Is there anyway that I can get around this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to win7forums.

I'm trying to install a program that was built to run on Windows XP but it tells me I need to install a .NET Framework 1.x or higher.

Right click the program's installer file -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> Windows XP.

As for .Net Framework, you do not need any earlier x86 versions, since the one you have comprises them all.

I've tried that too. It still asks me to install .NET 1.1.4 or higher.

The software may be old enough to require exactly that .NET version. If the installer cannot be modded to skip that requirement, I suggest you go XP Mode as suggested by Captain Jack.

Back