Linux installing new M.2 SSD with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

ragnarok1968

hey guys!
Ok, I purchased a new toshiba M.2 (gen 3) SSD drive into my MSi laptop. it's 128GB, the same as the original that came with this laptop. This was a Windows 10 setup.
I got tired of all the updates that literally screwed up drivers... consistently!

So I'm older now, as is the system but is are there any considerations when installing Ubuntu 18.04 before it gets here tomorrow?

I've read around where some have explained quite convoluted instructions on creating 3 partitions ahead of time before installing.
/ 50GB
/Swap 12x the amount of system ram
and.. the 3rd I forget.

IS there anything I need to know to reinstall Ubuntu on the new M.2 SSD drive that I need to be aware of?

thanks

Last edited:
I've read around where some have explained quite convoluted instructions on creating 3 partitions ahead of time before installing.
/ 50GB
/Swap 12x the amount of system ram
and.. the 3rd I forget.

I only use root partition "/" and swap area.
Many Linux users create a "/home" partition, it's like creating a "D" partition in Windows.
Honestly, I don't know if there are any security benefits in creating a /home partition.

IS there anything I need to know to reinstall Ubuntu on the new M.2 SSD drive that I need to be aware of?

In Linux you just run the Live-CD/DVD and see if it works or not. Ubuntu live-CD/DVD usually contains all necessary drivers (unlike Debian which only contains the non-proprietary drivers).

Last edited:
Swap I set as same as system ram. /boot/efi as 300 MB /home on a seperate partition so in the case of a reinstall all the data is still there. But 12x the ram is madness to be fair. @livix07 theres one huge bonus of a seperate part for /home data retention and you can encrypt that partition while leaving the os alone

I've yet to see my linux consume more that around 12GB and thats when gaming, so no swap actually needed, only include it so ubuntu stops whining at me via dmesg about the missing swap. If I hae 12x ram as swap that'd be 384GB just for the swap partition which frankly is madness.

theres one huge bonus of a seperate part for /home data retention and you can encrypt that partition while leaving the os alone

Isn't it possible to encrypt the root partition as well? If yes, then the only benefit of having a /home partition is to keep personal files, documents.

ok, I received the drive today less than 24 hours after I bought it. I simply installed the drive, screwed it down to secure it and installed Ubuntu 18.04 and she's running faster on the SSD M.2 then it did on the secondary 1 TB HDD. I expected that however due to speed differences
But its all good now

Back