Windows XP Installing windows xp on vista computer

KerryN

Hi, I have been given a windows laptop:

intel pentium Compaq Presario A900 Notebook, 32 bit.

It is running windows vista, but I specifically want windows xp for a program that I have that will only work on windows xp and no other operating system. I am not interested in using it for anything else. I have found a video on youtube that says I can install windows xp using Sun's Virtual Box. Two questions from this.

1) Is that a good idea? Would it be better to format the hard drive and just install windows xp and would that program work on that laptop as a first install.

2) If either of those options will work, I have been looking to buy a copy of windows xp on ebay, but there are so many different options with many seeming to be for dell computers. Would those ones listed as for dells not work on my laptop? Is there a specific option I should be looking for?

Many thanks for your help.

Kerry

If there are drivers for it it should install just fine. Neither OS is supported nor has been for quite some time so I hope at least you're not using this computer to access the internet.

Thanks for your response. No it won't be used to access the internet. What sort of drivers would I need? I am not that clued up on computers so really appreciate your advice.

Other than very basic and generic drivers Windows XP did not install too much as far as drivers go, so most of the peripherals you will need drivers for as such audio, network, chipset, video etc. Glancing at HP's site it doesn't look like they host drivers for that device at all, so you'll need to locate them manually.

Many thanks for your input. I think this is all starting to look at being way beyond my abilities!

Back
Top Bottom