Windows 7 Intermittant Internet Issue

jbjbjb

Finally got round to asking about this after months of annoyance

Since getting windows 7, my internet connection occasionally drops for a little while. Does not happen on other XP computers on the network.

I usually go 'Disable' then 'Enable' which seems to fix it sometimes

I have tried numerous things which I have read, like in Realtek options changing 'Network Address' from 'Not Present' to a random value like '123456789ABC'. I don't really know what these things do and I don't think they are actually affecting anything.

Interestingly, the internet would NEVER stop working when i was playing an online game.

Someone then suggested unticking 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' in Realtek options. I thouht this may have worked for a while, but then the issue seemed to start again, and this time internet would also stop working in online games.

So confused.

Has this been a since day one type of issue, or a more recent development? I would suggest trying to boot the computer into safemode with networking and see if the problem persists. If the computer seems to work fine when in safemode with networking, then your problem is probably a third party program and or third party service starting at boot time which is causing the issues you can use the steps in this article to narrow the problem down and ultimately fine the offending process or processes. How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
If the problem persists, even in safemode with networking then your problem is more likely an issues with drivers for your network adapter or possibly an issue with your router. Check both manufacturer's websites for a new updated driver for the network adapater and a possible updated firmware version for your router. Keeps us posted

Try looking in Control Panel > Device manager and see if there are any yellow flags present.

Let us know the make and model of your network adapter

Back