Windows Vista Internet Connection Help with unsecured network

corbata

Hello! I have a compaq presario F700 laptop and for the past couple of weeks, I haven't been able to connect to the internet I have always connected to successfully. When I first moved to my new home, I always connected to this unsecured network for the internet. Now, when I connect to this network, its only shows up as a local connection and no internet connection (at the bottom of the screen, there is no globe that is suppose to signify you are connected to the internet).

Has the owner of that connection done something recently to their network, or is it me?

How do I fix it?

PLEASE HELP!! :)

I am not sure if I am understanding you!
Are you saying you have been using someone else's connection.- Say, a neighbours?

yes, she knows about it. Why is it local connection only and not local and internet connection? This all happened recently. Maybe it was something I downloaded? what are the reasons why it is only local and not both local and internet????

Has your neighbour changed her connection type? It sounds that originally she was using a wireless router thus allowing you to pick up the signal too. Perhaps shes changed her connection to a cable type which would obviously curtail your connection?

well, all I know is that it is currently picking up the signal as local only and not internet. are you saying the neighbor has done something to their router so that other computers only pick up a local connection?? :confused:

well, all I know is that it is currently picking up the signal as local only and not internet. are you saying the neighbor has done something to their router so that other computers only pick up a local connection?? :confused:

She may well have done. Like I said above, I'm guessing she had a wireless connection (your laptop can probably connect to wireless signels) and she's either changed suppliers or accounts either way her connection type may have changed. By this I mean her 'physical' connection to the internet. If your not connected to the net then that means you just have a 'local' connection which is basically your pc and anything else on that 'network' eg printers ect. An 'Internet' connection is what it is... By the way, this is just a guess and maybe totally the wrong reason but I guess your first port of call would be to check with your neighbour?

I wish I had "generous" neighbours like that. .....Did this not used to be known as "piggybacking" other networks????

Maybe Corbata should trot round to the neighbour and discuss it. Other than that, I don't feel I have anymore to add to this thread.

Ten dollars will get you some Internet Connection...... Fourteen Ninety Nine will get you some DSL Connection. If you live in a Linkeys Community you can connect for free..............

yeah, my neighbor did something funky, she didn't tell me, I was using it until I get my internet back, so it wasn't a problem. Thank You guys so much, I finally figured it out now!! :)

Back
Top Bottom