Windows Vista Internet Connection Issue

mtb211

I have seen a similar post about internet connections but I thought Id create my own thread.
My windows 7 build is 7068... its windows ultimate and its x64

i have an asus p5nsli motherboard... I cant not access the internet, and I do not know why I can not. The drivers I have on cd and off the internet will not run on windows 7. I turned the compatibilty to windows vista and xp and they start but I halfway through the installation i receive an error saying my drivers are not digitally signed(or im missing a file which im not) and it closes the installation. In my device manager it shows my network card is working fine, I have another yellow sign saying unknown device... I think this may be the problem...

things i have tried.

I have tried running the asus setup for my drivers in different compatibilty modes.

I have tried installing the drivers through device manager

Ive download the 64 bit vista drivers also

ive uninstalled my network card and reinstalled

Ive run the home network wizard

Any ideas? Im desperate here

thx in advance

Matt

Which version of the chipset drivers have you tried?

The Vista X64 ones available for download from Asus are from September of '06. The latest ones directly from nVidia for the nForce 4 chipset for Intel are here:

nForce Driver

I haven't compared version numbers, but they are two years newer.

I hope that helps.

I have seen a similar post about internet connections but I thought Id create my own thread.
My windows 7 build is 7068... its windows ultimate and its x64

i have an asus p5nsli motherboard... I cant not access the internet, and I do not know why I can not. The drivers I have on cd and off the internet will not run on windows 7. I turned the compatibilty to windows vista and xp and they start but I halfway through the installation i receive an error saying my drivers are not digitally signed(or im missing a file which im not) and it closes the installation. In my device manager it shows my network card is working fine, I have another yellow sign saying unknown device... I think this may be the problem...

things i have tried.

I have tried running the asus setup for my drivers in different compatibilty modes.

I have tried installing the drivers through device manager

Ive download the 64 bit vista drivers also

ive uninstalled my network card and reinstalled

Ive run the home network wizard

Any ideas? Im desperate here

thx in advance

Matt

Can you post the Device Manager entries here? A captured JPG image of the DM, taken to the Internet connected working PC and uploaded here from that PC will save typing a lot of words about the Hardware in the problem Win 7 PC :)
Although Win 7 Beta often works with VISTA drivers , I have had problems with WebCams not being installed and driver install failing towards the end with an abrupt "unexpected error" or " Insufficient free disk space" error while more than 100GB of free disk space in the drive is begging for residents! All we can say is that this is to be expected from a Beta OS a software that is still not ready for the prime time!

ScreenShot

Thx a lot... would the nforce drivers be effecting me ... stopping me from getting online?

here is the screenshot

devicemanager.jpg

thx so much you guys

Thx a lot... would the nforce drivers be effecting me ... stopping me from getting online?

here is the screenshot

devicemanager.jpg

thx so much you guys
Thank you for the DM image.

Your DM does show that you have installed your NIC to Windows 7 's satisfaction as there are no errors against the Marvel Yukon xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-PCI Gigabyte Ethernet Controller :)

Your next steps must be to prove this conclusion right.

1. Power Off your Broadband Modem, your Router and shut down your Win7 PC.
  2. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your broadband modem to the Router's WAN or Internet port.
  3. Connect the free end of the Ethernet cable ( Straight thru Cat 5 or 6) to your Win 7 PC's Ethernet Port on the NIC, disconnecting the Ethernet cable it has from the Router.
  4. All we have done upto now is to connect the Powered off PC using an ethernet cable to the Powered Off Broad band Modem isolating the Broad band Router
  5. Now Turn the Power On the Broadband Modem and wait until you get the Power and DSL or Cable LEDs solid Green ( if that is the color of your Modem LEDs when working properly)
  6. Next Start your win 7 PC to Desktop.
  7. Watch if the Ethernet, WAN or Internet LEDS come on and become solid green
  8. Optionally from your Desktop you can launch cmd line by clicking Start > Search programs and files and type cmd in the search box and press ENTER and at the command prompt [>]type IPCONFIG /all [note: single space after IPCONFIG and before / ] to see the IP address of your ISP if it is a just a Modem and not a Modem cum Router. You may also try to type Ping space www.Google.com or any known web address to see if packets of data are sent successfully without loss.
  9. Next try to launch IE to see if you can get connected to the web address you have typed in the address bar.
  10. If it works your NIC is OK and the next step is to setup your Network and via yInternet connection via your Router.
If this fails inspite of apparently installed NIC, then we need to try troubleshooting your NIC.
If it works details of your Router will help in the troubleshoot of Network setup and Internet access via Router.

I had almost the exact same issue. Did all the stuff you are telling him. My maisake was doing an UPGRADE vice a clean install. It turned out to be my NOD32 virus/firewall program. It wouldnt read the old rules., I had to uninstall and reinstall NOD 32,. Everything is hunky dory now...................
I knew it wasnt my internet connection or at least the router cause I had XP, 7022 and 7048 and 7057 still installed on their own partitions on a different HD, and they worked fine.

Rock on

BillD

thx all

Okay I will try hooking my cat5 direct... i think ive tried that already... I did not upgrade windows 7.. I made a clean install on a partitioned hardrive

thank you cmn for the instructions

Im not sure what NIC is :)

"

1. If it works your NIC is OK and the next step is to setup your Network and via yInternet connection via your Router."
thx all!

Okay I will try hooking my cat5 direct... i think ive tried that already... I did not upgrade windows 7.. I made a clean install on a partitioned hardrive

thank you cmn for the instructions

Im not sure what NIC is :)

"

1. If it works your NIC is OK and the next step is to setup your Network and Internet connection via your Router."
thx all!
I am sorry I did not expand the acronym NIC which stands for Network Interface Card or LAN [Local Area Network)Card also known as Network Adapter Card whose ethernet port receives the Cat 5/6 ethernet cable ( straight through or patch cable) from the Modem's Ethernet Port or the WAN [ Wide Area Network]or Internet Port of the Router.
Good luck in your troubleshoot.

tried that.. still no luck

hey,

I have tried that still no luck... Im using the same pc that is partitioned so I know its not hardware... maybe a driver issue.. blah.. Im pretty sure that it has something to do with my asus motherboard... and the drivers... just a guess

but thank you so much for your help... and thanks for telling me what NIC is... i didnt give up... I just need to think what else could be causing it....

hey,

I have tried that still no luck... Im using the same pc that is partitioned so I know its not hardware... maybe a driver issue.. blah.. Im pretty sure that it has something to do with my asus motherboard... and the drivers... just a guess

but thank you so much for your help... and thanks for telling me what NIC is... i didnt give up... I just need to think what else could be causing it....

This is my last suggestion on this problem:

1. Download Windows VISTA 32/64 Chipset for your ASUS Board from their website making sure to choose VISTA 64 as the Operating system for the download and then selecting:ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
  2. Save it to a Named folder [on the desktop]
  3. Using an unzipping tool ( example 7-zip) unzip and extract it to a named subfolder.
  4. Browse and locate from the folder named 64bit the following files:
  5. nvrd64.inf;nvrd64.sys;nvstor64.inf;nvstor64.sys and note the entire path to their location
  6. Now go to Device Manager and Right click on your Network adapter > Update Driver Software and then in the next popup click Browse my computer for driver software and navigate and point to the full path to the 2 INF and 2 Sys files in folder 64bit.
  7. Hopefully this update will solve your problem unless you are using third party Firewalls in addition to Windows own , in that case disable 3rd party Firewall.

HI - I had a similar issue that you are having.. what it turned out to be was Windows 7 locking down my router. I didnt change anything in my router to fix this. What i did was went to the network connections, advanced and unchecked some options in the "home group".

find the "home group" advanced settings and you can make those changes. I think it was the second to last option.. something about allowing additional computers on the network to access with their own passwords.

GL

hey thx

hey thanks for telling me about that group network... I was also logged into that..

I think were making a bit of progress becuase I now receive this error which I wasnt receiving before when I ran the diagnostic check

networkerror.png

I did remove the router also... and connected directly... does everyone else have that network logo on the bottom right corner?

networkerror.png

hey thanks for telling me about that group network... I was also logged into that..

I think were making a bit of progress becuase I now receive this error which I wasnt receiving before when I ran the diagnostic check

networkerror.png

I did remove the router also... and connected directly... does everyone else have that network logo on the bottom right corner?

networkerror.png

Were you able to surf the WWW or use your Email or Messenger when you connected your Computer directly to your Brodband modem without the Router between them in Win 7? If so your Network adapter is configured OK in Win 7 and your Modem is working well also. If so the problem to solve is at the Router level.

Since the Make & Models of your Modem & Router are still a mystery to us, I am guessing your Broadband Modem is just a modem and NOT a MODEM cum Router in one as in the case of many currently available ones.

If you are unable to access the Internet using your Computer's LAN card and the Modem, there is NO POINT in adding a Router.

If you are able to connect to the Internet without the Router and you have a working (= undamaged) Broadband Router the rest must be easy. The Home Group there is for computers with Windows 7 to sahre files and other network assets and should not cause problem for this PC to access the Internet.

Are the attached images while you have connected the PC's Ethernet cable to the LAN port of the Router and the Modem's Ethernet Port to the Router's INTERNET or WAN port?

If so Turn Off the PC, try Resetting the Modem & Router by powering them off and then wait 3-5 mnts then Power ON Modem first and wait till its Power & Cable/ DSL LED become solid green and then turn on the Router and wait till its Power and WAN /INTERNET LEDS are lit Solid Green and now turn on PC and Run IPCONFIG /all command through elevated Command promt to confirm an IPv4 Address.... in the 192.168.x.x range, DHCP Enabled and Default Gateway and DHCP Server also showing the 192.168.x.1 . If so you may ping a well known URL like www.Google.com and see packets sent from your PC auatomatically by ping is received without a loss. That will confirm your devices are all ready for Internet access.
You may launch your Browser to access www.MSN.COM
Home networking requires additional steps.

networkerror.png

networkerror.png

Were you able to surf the WWW or use your Email or Messenger when you connected your Computer directly to your Brodband modem without the Router between them in Win 7? If so your Network adapter is configured OK in Win 7 and your Modem is working well also. If so the problem to solve is at the Router level.

Since the Make & Models of your Modem & Router are still a mystery to us, I am guessing your Broadband Modem is just a modem and NOT a MODEM cum Router in one as in the case of many currently available ones.

If you are unable to access the Internet using your Computer's LAN card and the Modem, there is NO POINT in adding a Router.

If you are able to connect to the Internet without the Router and you have a working (= undamaged) Broadband Router the rest must be easy. The Home Group there is for computers with Windows 7 to share files and other network assets and should not cause problem for this PC to access the Internet.

Are the attached images while you have connected the PC's Ethernet cable to the LAN port of the Router and the Modem's Ethernet Port to the Router's INTERNET or WAN port?

If so Turn Off the PC, try Resetting the Modem & Router by powering them off and then wait 3-5 mnts then Power ON Modem first and wait till its Power & Cable/ DSL LED become solid green and then turn on the Router and wait till its Power and WAN /INTERNET LEDS are lit Solid Green and now turn on PC and Run IPCONFIG /all command through elevated Command promt to confirm an IPv4 Address.... in the 192.168.x.x range, DHCP Enabled and Default Gateway and DHCP Server also showing the 192.168.x.1 . If so you may ping a well known URL like www.Google.com and see packets sent from your PC auatomatically by ping is received without a loss. That will confirm your devices are all ready for Internet access.
You may launch your Browser to access www.MSN.COM
Home networking requires additional steps.

Last edited:

networkerror.png

networkerror.png

It will be good if you can upload JPG images of your "View your basic network Information and setup connections" screen reached via Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center and below that click "View network status and tasks" .

I am assuming that after you connected your Computer directly to the Modem you have come to the above screen and clicked the " Setup new connection or network" > Connect to the Internet" and used the connection wizard to setup your ISP connection.

hey there, well i just am using wireless g now... that seems to work... direct connect does not... I have a wireless n router but I cant seem to find a wireless N wirless device that is quick.. anyone else have an issue with that too? g seems faster to me

hey there, well i just am using wireless g now... that seems to work... direct connect does not... I have a wireless n router but I cant seem to find a wireless N wirless device that is quick.. anyone else have an issue with that too? g seems faster to me

From your post I surmise you were unable to get Internet access using the Yukon network interface device integrated with the Motherboard but you were able to connect using a Wireless G adapter through your Wireless N Router and getting fairly good download speed. I have read about the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 pci gigabit ethernet controller on ASUS boards causing conectivity problems both in Windows and Linux when I made some reading on the topic after your last post.

Regarding your querry about wireles adapter, in my opinion, the best Wireless N adapter option for a Wireless N Router is to use the same brand as the Router making sure they have at least VISTA Bit 64 drivers for their Wireless N adapter be that USB or PCI Add -On Card before you spend uyour money. Same brand will unlikely to pose any compatibility issue with the Router. Don't get me wrong , Wireless N adapters from other manufacturers might work just as well but sticking with the same brand reduces the need for any manual tweaking. If you had named your Router as asked in my earlier post I could have been more specific in my answer. I have worked with a Netgear N Wireless router using EncoreN PCI Wireless adapter beacuse that was available at a cheaper price as well as Encore N USB adapter in a Desktop Computer. I have not had any connectivity problems. Hope this information helps you.

Without a working Ethernbet adapter it will be hard to use the Web interface of the Wireless Router for configuration or troubleshoot. If you can, it is a good idea to get a PCI Ethernet Network adapter with VISTA Bit 64 driver support both as a stand by as well as for troubleshoot purposes.

Last edited:
hey cmn

thank you for all your posts, lengthly and very helpful posts. I had a wireless n adapter that was a linksys just as my router.. i had a very difficult time having a strong signal strength... I could not figure that out... Im using wireless G now and I always have a very good singal.. is that odd?

thx again buddy

Back