Windows 7 Internet download speed crappy

snow

I read at a lot of forums that have the same problem.
my download speed is around 70/80 kb/s instead of 350 kb/s and also at at speedtest it's crappy but only the download speed is like that upload speed working. http://www.speedtest.net/result/587176284.png
I'm supposed to have 2.5 mb/s and I have 0.6 as you can see.
I disabled ipv 6. I tried the command promat line. Nothing works.
I'm on the verge of going back to windows XP something I really don't wanna do.
Please Help Me! Thanx

Most likely the isp try this Link Removed - Invalid URL

you latency times may be killing your speed ( Esp Time Warner Cable & Comcast)

I read at a lot of forums that have the same problem.
my download speed is around 70/80 kb/s instead of 350 kb/s and also at at speedtest it's crappy but only the download speed is like that upload speed working. http://www.speedtest.net/result/587176284.png
I'm supposed to have 2.5 mb/s and I have 0.6 as you can see.
I disabled ipv 6. I tried the command promat line. Nothing works.
I'm on the verge of going back to windows XP something I really don't wanna do.
Please Help Me! Thanx

It does depend on servers that you connect to, some will give 0.6 Mb/s or even slower, others will be up to your full bandwidth capacity. As Drew said, Windows 7 is not the cause. :)

I think you need to figure out what you're paying for and what you're getting. The link you posted shows 0.63 Mbps (MegaBitsPerSecond) which when converted results in 630 Kbps (KiloBitsPerSecond). What has your ISP stated your download speeds should be. Ususally they are quoted in Kbps, rarely in KBps (bits, not bytes)

Check with your internet service provider. It has been a while since I had a problem like that. They were able to make some adjustments from there end and I have been doing ok since then. I have to agree with Drew and say the OS is not the cause.

Reading the OS, whilst I agree that Windows 7 is not the direct cause, it does seem to have started since he began using that OS?
I would suspect an internet related, driver or hardware problem. Have a look for newer drivers for your ethernet/wirless gear etc.

Most likely the isp try this Test your broadband link

you latency times may be killing your speed ( Esp Time Warner Cable & Comcast)

Strange but running the above test kills my internet connection 3 times out of 4 tries.
The one time it didn't it returned an error after the 90 second test indicating it couldn't see my machine.

The three times it killed my connection I had to do a hard reset of my combination modem/router.

I fail to see why this test is any better that the Speedtest.net test performed by the OP.
Speedtest measures your latency as well.
Latency is dependent on the server doing the testing.

In my case Speedtest.net chooses a server in Boise, Idaho as the default test server.
Latency for the server in Boise is 150ms.
Changing the test server to one in Salt Lake City, Utah I see a latency of 82ms and testing at a server in
San Francisco, Ca. gives 53ms.

Not that physical difference matters but the air distance from me in Elko, Nevada to the various servers
is
415 mi to San Francisco
186 mi to Boise
196 mi to Salt Lake City

As can be seen latency is dependent on the server used for the test.

In all cases the raw speed measured almost exactly the same.

Finally a test using a server in Amsterdam, Holland

As can be seen above latency is all over the place.

Ping=Latency

BTW, the test site suggested by Ghost Writer will only measure 4 times in one 24 hr period,
regardless of whether test was successful or not.

I would really like to know why it killed my internet connection,
I've never seem a web site do this before.

Last edited:
I agree wth Sonny and Drew...............this is something you take up with your service provider.

Their resonsible for a situation like this.

Hi all
i am using Windows 7 32bit on my PC when iam downloading all i can get is a max speed of 220kb/s before i was using XP Pro SP3 32bit i was getting about 770 KB/s i have not been capped bye my ISP as i can open a number of ports and get my max speed
Does anyone know if i need to change a setting in windows 7 as any help would be great
thanks
Goodwinteam

Back