Windows Vista Internet Explorer 8

Fred44

IE 8 popped up this AM as an update. I'm running v. 7.0.6001.18000. Should I update to IE8 now. Are all the bugs sorted out? Thanks.
Fred

IE 8 popped up this AM as an update. I'm running v. 7.0.6001.18000. Should I update to IE8 now. Are all the bugs sorted out? Thanks.
Fred

My friend at the computer place doesn't feel it's ready (That was two weeks ago) I decided to try it this morning --anyway. It has some great features: - It identifies false websites, for example, a website pretending to be your bank.
It warns about websites that are trying to obtain information and passwords, notifies about viruses. You can accelerate certain words and get an instant search. Or accelerate addresses and get a location with a map. There are compatibility settings for websites or older browsers that no longer view correctly- type in the address and Explorer 8 will show website in the older setting etc. There are web slices- This is interesting, if you want to keep track of some activity -say the stock market or an auction on Ebay. IE 8 will keep track of it for you and notify you if something has changed. Haven't run into a problem with it yet. If it turns out to be a problem, you can always go to Google Chrome....(Warning-----I just did a registry check: found -- Com/ActiveX 4 Errors, Path/File Reference Errors 35, File Associations 1) I think anybody without a registry cleaning is going to be hurt.

After you close IE 8 and re-start it asks if you want to return to your previous browsing session. I'm somebody that likes to clean my browser, I wonder if that is going to be a problem?

Well, My first day with IE 8. The Internet seems to be running smoothly however, I'm getting a constant "Registry Error" with every use. Hope that goes away!!!!!

Celestra,
I also went ahead and downloaded IE8 yesterday, but it seemed to run more slowly and I didn't like the MSN toolbar (I can easily go to MSNBC which is the only one I'd use). I just like a more uncluttered interface on my browser. I did a system restore and went back to 7 for now, but I'll probably eventually relent and go for v. 8. Keep us posted on your experiences with IE 8. Thanks.

Fred

I only have a Norton tool bar and one small search in the upper right hand corner that switches to any search I request. Below Norton there's Favorites, Suggested Sites, Get more Add-ons. No "Clutter" here!!!! (I suggest you get rid of everything and let Microsoft revamp it for you....) Suggested Sites- Sites of interest, similar to the one frequented are located and recommended.

I've been e-mailing HP Support, they feel the registry problem is most likely a settings problem. To isolate the problem I should "Reset Internet Explorer". The instructions he gave me are from Explorer 6 and don't look at all like IE8. I got these from the Internet: How to reset Internet Explorer settings (Internet Explorer 8 will be available for free until December 2009)

I've been e-mailing HP Support, they feel the registry problem is most likely a settings problem. To isolate the problem I should \"Reset Internet Explorer\". The instructions he gave me are from Explorer 6 and don't look at all like IE8. I got these from the Internet: How to reset Internet Explorer settings (Internet Explorer 8 will be available for free until December 2009)

Well, Still have registry problems. I've contacted Parentologic to see if one of their anaylists can make heads or tails or what's going on.

Well, Still have registry problems. I've contacted Parentologic to see if one of their anaylists can make heads or tails or what's going on.

Great News! Seems ParentoLogic feels the constant errors are opening and closing something or others and probably should be removed from the list. That's great because I can't find path file errors in the event viewer. Does anybody know where else to look???? It seems that Microsoft hides errors at times, any one feel the same???? Explorer 8 is fine for download as far as I can tell, no problem with viewing sites. No crashes, one freeze which seemed to be site related. It went away by itself. ( Be careful to clean the dam browser, it stores a lot more than other one!!!)

Note: I get beautiful pictures now from sites like "Hulu". I used to have problems after enlarging the screen, the diffinition would be distorted some what. Now it is very sharp, clean with viberant colors.

Glad you got things sorted Celestra although if I get problems like you have been having and I cannot fix it, I just reformat. I keep everything backed up to disk so it's not a case of losing anything in the process.

Glad you got things sorted Celestra although if I get problems like you have been having and I cannot fix it, I just reformat. I keep everything backed up to disk so it's not a case of losing anything in the process.

Yes, I do get weird stuff....I think it is from MS Updates. I'm planning to make a new image.

Yes, I do get weird stuff....I think it is from MS Updates. I'm planning to make a new image.

I'm seriously considering installing IE8 again. Do you think any of your registry problems are due to IE8? If they are I do not want to go there!

Fred

I've been hopping all over the Internet with IE 8. I really like the "Return To Last Browsing Session" it has saved a whole lot of trouble looking up websites that were accidently closed. ParentoLogic "RegCure" told me to EXCLUDE" from gizmo, he thinks it is something strange about the way it opens and closes- that is all. (I think it may be the way "Messenger" opens first with part of "MSN" or IE 8 at the same time)

The only issue I have with IE8 is the web page compatibility. I know there's a button for it and if you want to you can run in 'Compatibility mode' permanently but still some sites do not like IE8.
Saying this though, it is getting better and in fact there was a recent update for the compatibility listing.
Other than the above I really quite like it. I do try other browsers from time to time but always end up coming back to IE8..

I read a couple of tech blogs yesterday that advised waiting a few months until MS (who is notorious for releasing software before it's ready for "prime time") gets all the bugs resolved. As for now, IE7 is working fine and runs faster on my computer than IE8. So I'm holding off for a while. Keep us posted, please...

For me the problem with IE8 and IE7 is going to click on something on a site and as always, nothing happens. Only remedy, another browser. Trouble is I know what I have done wrong but, I will not admit it sort of. All happened after I installed you guessed it, service pack 2 again. Ah shucks I just wanted to see if it was any better than what I had already seen. Guess not?

I found my IE 8 in my windows updates, after the fact. Sneaky little nerds. The next thing I know I have IE 8 over 7. So I said what the hell and give another go. It still takes longer to load up even with just plane Google as my home page but not as long when I first had it, in it's final release through M$ web site. It seems to be just as fast as 7 with the exception of load up time for me and there are some web page compatibility issues. Other than that it's ok. IE 7 took 1 second to load up and IE 8 takes about 5 seconds to load up. I think I can live with that, plus I have 5 others to switch with.

Back
Top Bottom