Windows 7 Internet Explorer randomly opening and I don't know why

Flipside

So ever since I had to re-install Google Chrome the other day I have had the issue of Internet Explorer randomly opening on it's own. It opens one window when I start windows (and no it's not allowed in start up), it also randomly opens itself when I open programs it mostly happens when I launch steam games. For example when I launch CS GO it opens 4 separate internet explorer windows. When these Internet Explorer windows open they don't go to a malicious website or anything they just open my Internet Explorer homepage. I'm not sure what could be causing this and it's extremely annoying. I have full scanned with Malwarebytes 4 times and that hasn't fixed anything, I have also tried System Restore to a date before it was happening that also didn't help. Any suggestions or ideas?

Sounds like a browser hijacker......run superantispyware and spybot S&D and Adwcleaner....then follow that up with Eset online scanner. All are free. Then open up IE and reset it to default settings....watch the video from here....http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/reset-internet-explorer-settings
It doesn't seem to have worked. None of them found anything other than tracking cookies. ;( I have a feeling it's not being caused by anything malicious but I just can't figure it out...

What browser do you have set as your default browser? To find out, got to control panel, programs, default programs, set your default programs, let the list populate and scroll through until you find each browser you have installed and click on each one. It will tell you if some, part or all defaults are set. Pick one and the set it to default browser and then check your issue.

What browser do you have set as your default browser? To find out, got to control panel, programs, default programs, set your default programs, let the list populate and scroll through until you find each browser you have installed and click on each one. It will tell you if some, part or all defaults are set. Pick one and the set it to default browser and then check your issue.
I'm pretty sure that worked! Thank you so much and if the issue comes back I will let you know.

Excellent, bassfisher! I've had problems with the latest Chrome update, e.g. I couldn't get it to open my latest when I started it, and I couldn't get it to open my Homepage = gmail, no matter how I tried in the settings. But since I got everything started, I didn't mind that much, I thought everything will be corrected through an update. Besides, I had to re-install my Windows and I seem to have a somewhat bad installation, it's been a bit problematic from the start.

But now Chrome seems to work as it should.

Back