Windows 7 Internet keeps crashing, data errors during extracting and installing, programs crashing, etc.

acornman37

Hi everyone,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 onto a new hard drive, and have been having several problems that I don't think are malware related. I've already done a repair install via upgrade media, and some problems that I had before went away, but many of them remained.

My internet repeatedly crashes. Firefox started off fine, but the crashes got more and more frequent until now it crashes right when I click it. Internet explorer doesn't crash nearly as often, but it does occasionally.
After I installed Microsoft Office, I tried to "Activate by internet connection", but it told me that I couldn't because I don't have an internet connection, even though my connection is perfectly fine. :confused:

I also have a problem extracting things, usually when installing. Often if I try to install something like firefox with the setup.exe, it crashes during the extraction stage and says "Data error", "CRC error", or "Files corrupt".

Windows explorer crashed 1 or 2 times for no reason, and some programs like Dolphin emulator crash as well.

I tried to attach a Hijackthis log file, but it told me that it was an "invalid file" <<??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,
it sounds like you were having problems as soon as you did the clean install? Did you check for compatibility? Is the bios updated to the latest version?....
If possible please post your system spec'

Thanks for replying. I believe that my system was running fine immediately after I installed windows. I downloaded and installed some programs that I trust such as Audacity, SuperAntiSpyware, and skype, and installed all the necessary drivers, updated windows, etc. I started encountering these problems after a day, after I tried to install some games from CD.

System specs:
motherboard: GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 C3
RAM: 4x2GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Black 1 TB
Power supply: Seasonic 600W

The motherboard, CPU, RAM, and 500GB HD are brand new. The hardware should be compatible, and aside from these problems, the system runs stable. BIOS is flashed to F6, the latest non-beta version. Do you think this could be a hardware problem?

Anyone have any input? The crashing firefox and extraction problems are still prevalent...help please!

Hmm... Check what plug-ins you have running in IE. If there's a few try disabling either some or all...

CPC error is usually related to a checksum error indicative of hard drive corruption. Can you try to run the following command-line:

Start -> Search -> right-click "Run as Administrator" cmd.exe

sfc /scannow

This will check for system file corruption.

Run a check for hard drive corruption and reboot the system. To do this run the command-line the same way

chkdsk /r /f
Y

Restart the computer.

I ran the check for system file corruption and got the result "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
(The first time I ran it, it stopped at 51% on the verification stage and said that it "could not perform the requested operation.")

I then ran the chkdsk command and there seemed to be no problem with the drive. Although at the very end of the check the screen scrolled too quickly for me to see what it said, but since it didn't stop I'm assuming that there was no problem.

Try running the same sfc command that Mike showed you while booted to safe mode to see if it completes there.

I ran the check for system file corruption and got the result "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
(The first time I ran it, it stopped at 51% on the verification stage and said that it "could not perform the requested operation.")

I then ran the chkdsk command and there seemed to be no problem with the drive. Although at the very end of the check the screen scrolled too quickly for me to see what it said, but since it didn't stop I'm assuming that there was no problem.

Have you considered booting from the DVD and trying 'Repair'? If that fails then press F8 when booting and try 'last good known configuration'.

I ran the "sfc" command in safe mode and it said that there were no problems found.

I was under the impression that the actual "repair" on the windows CD was only for startup problems where windows would not boot. On the guide that I first looked at for Windows 7 repair installs, it explicitly said not to repair by booting with the CD.

I'm going to RMA my hard drive since it's new and all of my data is on my old drive which I was using as a slave. I booted with the old drive and there are no problems, so maybe the new one was corrupted somehow.

Back
Top Bottom