Introducing Windows 10 S

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new version of Windows 10 Pro will be introduced around 2019 called Windows 10 S:
Introducing Windows 10 S
Streamlined for security and superior performance.

What is Windows 10 S?
Windows 10 S is a specific configuration of Windows 10 Pro that offers a familiar, productive Windows experience that’s streamlined for security and performance. By exclusively using apps in the Microsoft Store and ensuring that you browse safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 S keeps you running fast and secure day in and day out.

For more information, please refer to this page.

READ THE FAQ

WindowsCloud_v17_1920_DefenderPanel_EN-GB.JPG.jpg

Microsoft-verified security
Your applications are delivered via the Microsoft Store ensuring Microsoft-verified security and integrity. Microsoft Edge is your default browser since it’s more secure than Chrome or Firefox.1Windows Defender Antivirus and all ongoing security features of Windows 10 are included.

Performance that lasts
Designed for superior performance that lasts, start-ups are quick and built to stay that way. With Microsoft Edge your online experience runs fast and safe. Stream HD video, switch across apps and stay productive on the go.12345
WindowsCloud_Features_1920.jpg

Familiar Windows 10 features, on a range of modern devices
Enjoy multi-tasking with snap, task view and virtual desktops. Get the suite of built-in apps and newest innovations like Cortana, Windows Ink and Windows Hello for password-free sign-on.6 Choose from a range of exciting modern devices coming soon.
WindowsCloud_Convenience_1920.jpg

Cloud convenience plus the power of apps
Windows 10 S integrates with OneDrive so files are saved to the cloud, in sync and accessible from your devices. Use compatible apps available from the Microsoft Store. If you need to use professional tools or would rather run non-Store apps, you can easily and affordably switch to Windows 10 Pro.7
There’s a Windows 10 for everyone
WindowsCloud_Win10Home_1920.jpg

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home includes the familiar features of Windows 10 with support for non-Microsoft Store apps.
WindowsCloud_Win10S_Front_1920.jpg

Windows 10 S

Windows 10 S is streamlined for security and performance, and works exclusively with apps from the Microsoft Store.

Windows_3Up_J_1920_IMG.jpg

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro includes all the features of Windows 10 to support professionals, including non-Microsoft Store apps, domain join, remote desktop and BitLocker.

Introducing Surface Laptop

WindowsCloud_PreOrder_Angle_1920.jpg
Reference: Introducing Windows 10 S – Streamlined for Security & Superior Performance

Whether Microsoft will offer Windows 10 S by default is not clear. One report by Thurrott.com has said that users will be able to upgrade from an 'S' version of Windows 10 Home S to full-fledged Windows 10 Home for free, but Pro users going from the 'S' version to the full version will be charged $49.
What this means for you: While it’s not clear why the Windows 10 S transition will take place in 2019—development time, or just a chance for the Windows 10 S to succeed on its own?—we do know now that Windows 10 S will be the “low-hassle” version of Windows. Windows 10 Home/Pro, with its legacy Win32 support, will be the more powerful version. Guess we’ll know in a year how this will change the status of Windows 10 S in the marketplace.
Reference: Confirmed: Windows 10 S will evolve into a 'mode' of Windows 10 in 2019

So it looks like that when using the 'S' version one can only use apps and games from the Microsoft store. This means that you will have to use the Edge browser whether you like it or not.

Supported devices and drivers

win s.JPG

Ref: Test Windows 10 S on existing Windows 10 education devices

The above list is to be added to as time goes on.

Paul Thurrott has an article on how he found a way (two actually) around the driver problem:
Living with Windows 10 S: The Desktop, Take 2 - Thurrott.com

Personally I dislike loss of choice even if it skirts the security issue plus they will only find another way of attacking windows as they always do..

This could seriously eat into a manufacturers profit margin now that their bit of hardware has become an ornament and 'not on the list'..

Another attempt to drive us totally under the control of Microsoft.
After many happy years (since DOS) of using Microsoft, I am seriously considering having a more intensive look at Linux

It's the gaming side of things with Linux that bothers me. I know some games will run on linux but it's only a few unless I'm very much mistaken (oh boy, here we go)?

I tried the "S" version. As said, it is almost exclusively Microsoft software.

Tried it on an older laptop where Microsoft had a problem with one of the hardware items. Seeing it was the "S" version, the OS wouldn't let me install the driver from the manufacture.

I think it should stay on Microsoft's own devices, end of story.

you are not supposed to load S onto a device that wasn't made to run S... it is aimed at school kids

Why is not supported?
It is now just a basic mode of Windows 10, where if you want to switch out, you have to upgrade your license to Home or Pro. Its supposed to optimize performance -- that is mostly accomplished by keeping you in a fenced store mode through Windows Store. It is still supported directly by Microsoft but you need to understand it is still Windows - just locked down to run store apps. This was designed, presumably, for low-end devices that would compete with Chrome OS.

Unlike as mentioned, Windows 10 S is not part of the market.
I was waiting for Windows 10 S but still, there are no ways in which this can be attained.
And I have heard that there will be no more Windows.
Windows will change from an OS to a service.
So I do not believe that Windows 10 S will be a reality.

So basically, S will be superior all other versions? I'm currently running Enterprise, which I'm kind of pleased with!

I have some inquiries if it’s not too much trouble 😥😥, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here😊😊:

How do I get my Hyper-V set up back?

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here😱😱
I think you better read about manager hyper v to find the answer to your question. This is not difficult to do when all the necessary information is collected in one place.

it just depends on how complex a system it was and how many of the system files he removed... if the network was set to only open a few custom ports then it will be impossible without notes

I fail to see how that has anything to do with Windows S?

Back