Is it ok to use the external hard drive with usb hub?

nothingness

When I used 2.5" portable hard drives, they were connected to the usb hub and it caused the issue. All of them got the logical bad sector and I had to throw them. I began to connect them to the main port of my computer and the issue had gone.

I am using laptop now and have several 2.5" portable hard drives and a 3.5" drive. Recently, I got a usb 3.0 c type hub and am wondering if it is ok to connect the hard drives to the hub. I don't wanna ruin my hard drives any longer, so haven't connect them to hub so far. However, 3.5" drive has its own power code, which means it may ok with hub.

What do you think, guys? Has anybody had the issue with hub and 3.5" drive? Has anybody tried to use the 2.5' drive and hasn't had any issue for long term?
Thanks in advance.

USB hubs were made to connect more USB devices to a limited number of USB ports. So, if a computer only has 1 USB port, connecting a USB hub to it will make it possible to connect more than 1 device to that computer via USB port. But you should know that when you connect more devices to a single USB port the transfer speed will be divided among those devices. If you want maximum transfer speed for your USB devices than you should only connect one device to one USB port (no USB hub).

You can do this experiment:
- connect 2 USB drives to the same hub and try to transfer a large file (at least 1 GB) to each of them at the same time and watch the transfer speed.
- connect just one USB drive without a hub and transfer the same file and watch the speed

Last edited:
USB hubs were made to connect more USB devices to a limited number of USB ports. So, if a computer only has 1 USB port, connecting a USB hub to it will make it possible to connect more than 1 device to that computer via USB port. But you should know that when you connect more devices to a single USB port the transfer speed will be divided among those devices. If you want maximum transfer speed for your USB devices than you should only connect one device to one USB port (no USB hub).

You can do this experiment:
- connect 2 USB drives to the same hub and try to transfer a large file (at least 1 GB) to each of them at the same time and watch the transfer speed.
- connect just one USB drive without a hub and transfer the same file and watch the speed

Thanks for the reply, but my question is about external hard drive issue. As I mentioned in the post, what I am worrying is if it causes trouble with the hard drives.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but my question is about external hard drive issue. As I mentioned in the post, what I am worrying is if it causes trouble with the hard drives.

The only harm it can cause is if the voltage provided by the USB port is higher than what the drives need. But the voltage provided by the USB port actually comes from the power supply unit.
Another thing that wears out the drives is writing to and reading from them but that is not something caused by the USB port either.

A laptop generally means your options are few. On a tower/desktop... you could hopefully put in a card that gives you more usb2/3 ports out the back.

I've used usb2 hubs in the past. Even printers don't always like them.

"The only harm it can cause is if the voltage provided by the USB port is higher than what the drives need"

Unless something has changed recently, as far as I am aware, all the peripherals tapped off ports, be it a laptop or stationary, are 5v. The problem could be, particular with the Laptop power supply, is that the more attachments you have, the more drain on the current, which could fall below a sustainable level to keep the peripheral working.. This, in turn, would put a strain on the power supply.
Currently, on my daily Laptop, I have a Printer, with its own power supply, and an external DVD writer, again with its own power supply. An external HD with no extra power supply and the usual Mouse. All are connected to the Laptop via USBs
Occasionally, I attach various devices in order to charge them up, but that is sekdom.
Watching temperaures, I have never noticed any undue strain on the power, although, naturally, when on battery, the drain is faster.
FWIW. I have not needed to replace the battery on this model for 5 years, so far.

"The only harm it can cause is if the voltage provided by the USB port is higher than what the drives need"

Unless something has changed recently, as far as I am aware, all the peripherals tapped off ports, be it a laptop or stationary, are 5v. The problem could be, particular with the Laptop power supply, is that the more attachments you have, the more drain on the current, which could fall below a sustainable level to keep the peripheral working.. This, in turn, would put a strain on the power supply.
Currently, on my daily Laptop, I have a Printer, with its own power supply, and an external DVD writer, again with its own power supply. An external HD with no extra power supply and the usual Mouse. All are connected to the Laptop via USBs
Occasionally, I attach various devices in order to charge them up, but that is sekdom.
Watching temperaures, I have never noticed any undue strain on the power, although, naturally, when on battery, the drain is faster.
FWIW. I have not needed to replace the battery on this model for 5 years, so far.

Higher voltage can be caused by defective power supply unit. When a resistor gets damaged the voltage can increase. Of course this happens rarely but it can happen. Have you noticed there are resistors and capacitors inside a power supply unit?

Naturally. But that is not in context with your quoted remark. A defective power supply is an entirely different consideration, in this thread.

Guys & Gals.... this can bunny-trail to who knows where.

Power supply unit can fry a system. I know it happened to me. BUT people who live in rural/farms may have greater problems. "Browning", when you see you're lights dim for just a second, the odd time here or there... is hard on computers & any electronics. Get a UPS (more than 100.00) to give long life to your electronic devices.

I've helped more than enough friends who's system caved because of it. (just another observation).

Back