Windows 10 Is possible to change path of USER?

MIRKOSOFT

Hi!

I managed few accounts on my fresh Windows 10.1909 install with not correctly entered account names.
I want to change them - it is possible in case of name, but is possible to change also path to user folder and its content?
Example:
Incorrectly is created account C:\users\miiro
Needs fix to C:\users\miro
so that I will access all like C:\users\miro\desktop etc. instead C:\users\miiro\desktop
I know it is better to remove account and create new one, but this Q is also for me important for future.
So, is it possible?

Thank you for your support.
Miro

Yes it's possible but you can't do it while logged into that account. You'd need another account and it would require editing the registry

Also:
Where are located Windows 10 Applications settings - I know all the required settings for Win32 applications, but want to modify some and maybe transfer settings to another account?

Thank you.
MIro

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
You'll need to figure out which SID corresponds to your user whoami /user from the command prompt will tell you. Then select your SID and you would need to change the ProfileImagePath value to point to the new profile

The user can set a PATH variable at a command-prompt that will override the system-wide PATH variable, even if the user doesn't have "Administrator" rights. The change will take effect for new processes the user starts from that command prompt.

For Registry follow below steps:
Click Start or press the Windows key. In the Start menu, either in the Run box or the Search box, type regedit and press Enter. In Windows 8, you can type regedit on the Start screen and select the regedit option in the search results. In Windows 10, type regedit in the Search box on the taskbar and press Enter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
You'll need to figure out which SID corresponds to your user whoami /user from the command prompt will tell you. Then select your SID and you would need to change the ProfileImagePath value to point to the new profile
Thaks for your tip!

Back
Top Bottom