Windows 8 Is the ESET really the culprit? Run into BSOD when launch driver verifier check on windows 8.1 x64

RyanXiao

Hey, everyone.

My first BSOD occurred about 10 days ago, randomly and frequently. I'd done SFC /scannow and 'Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth', nothing wrong. Then several rounds driver verifier, uninstalled some programs with drivers that triggered BSOD, drivers indicated by Bluescreenview or Windbg. Uninstalled Programs like: Softether VPN (selow_x64.sys), Paragon 12 (Wim_vimx64.sys), Pcmaster (pcmastercoredrv.sys). The BSOD chances reduced in normal use, but 100% when launch verifier. A buddy from sysnative form had doubted about the ESET. I thought it's true. Because after rolled back to defender or tried other firewalls, like ZoneAlarm or Comodo, no more BSODs, both normal or under verifier check for days.

But I have ESET's two years licence, and had used it for almost 10 years, so I wanted it back badly. After do some research, I found THIS on ESET knowledgebase, quote "On Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit installation may trigger BSOD if the previous version was not correctly uninstalled". My ESET 7 was installed in Jan, 2013 with previous windows 8 before updated to 8.1. So I figured that I'll need to do manually uninstall ESET. Boot under safe mode followed by this guide “How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET product”. Also uninstall OpenVpn driver, reference "Constant BSOD with Smart Security 7".【Can't make links yet.】

After this, install latest ESET smart security 8, now I can use normally for days. But with verifier turned on, I've been through BSODs again after booted into windows from about several minutes to hours. There must be something else here in my system, please help me find out what it is. Thanks in advance!

BTW: sorry for my bad English.
Best regards.

Attachments

• W7F_06-12-2014.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,398
Last edited:
Is the ESET really the culprit?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
While I'm not the resident BSOD troubleshooter I think I may have spotted something that may be responsible for your current issue.
Go Here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3505
Download the latest driver for your Intel Centrino Wireless -N2200
Uninstall the current driver software package from the programs and features menu in Control Panel.
Go here c:\windows\system32\drivers\
find this driver netwew00.sys
if it is there after the previous uninstallation of the software package, rename it to netwew00.OLD
Install the most recent software / driver package that you downloaded earlier for Intel.

Thanks for your quick replay, Trouble!? :) I have been uninstalled/reinstalled all drivers, even update install windows 8.1 with USB media since BSOD first occurred. But Lenovo's drivers seem kind of outdate. I'll try your method right away, launch verifier again, see if it work not, thanks.

Here's the deal, when I followed your suggestion:
1. I download the driver package which you gave, said I already installed newer driver.
Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...dID=24168&lang=eng&wapkw=wireless_17.0.6_e164
NEWER THAN
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23726&lang=eng&ProdId=3505 --Wireless_16.11.0_e164.exe

2. I searched my laptop, the netwew00.sys located blew:
C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFiDrivers\Drivers\NETwew00.sys--15.12.0.6
C:\Windows\LastGood\system32\DRIVERS\NETwew00.sys--15.12.0.6
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\NETwew00.sys--15.10.0.12 [OLD]
C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_netwew00.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_252dacabb361a7e1\NETwew00.sys--15.10.0.12[OLD]

Should I rename the two old drivers? Or just one in system32?

I uninstalled / reinstalled intel PROSet/Wireless driver, the NETwew00.sys in system\drivers got updated to 15.12.0.6, but I'm getting again BSOD when launch verifier. The same hal.dll+6034 & ntoskrnl.exe+15c4e9 error as before. How should I do next?

Personally, I'd disable driver verifier and enjoy my computer.
If you computer seems to perform well during normal operations, I'm not sure I would concern myself with the fact that I could trip a Blue Screen episode by turning on Driver Verifier.

Thanks for your advice. I know the purpose of enable driver verifier is just for test but I don't know for sure whether or not my computer perform well indeed since my current system with other security software can pass through Driver Verifier test but with latest ESET, which claimed fully support windows 8.1, can't. Am I understand right that means there still some incompatible factors stay in my system?

It may have claimed to fully support Windows 8.1 but I don't suspect that threw in a Driver Verifier torture test as part of that claim.

Hey, everyone.

My first BSOD occurred about 10 days ago, randomly and frequently. I'd done SFC /scannow and 'Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth', nothing wrong. Then several rounds driver verifier, uninstalled some programs with drivers that triggered BSOD, drivers indicated by Bluescreenview or Windbg. Uninstalled Programs like: Softether VPN (selow_x64.sys), Paragon 12 (Wim_vimx64.sys), Pcmaster (pcmastercoredrv.sys). The BSOD chances reduced in normal use, but 100% when launch verifier. A buddy from sysnative form had doubted about the ESET. I thought it's true. Because after rolled back to defender or tried other firewalls, like ZoneAlarm or Comodo, no more BSODs, both normal or under verifier check for days.

But I have ESET's two years licence, and had used it for almost 10 years, so I wanted it back badly. After do some research, I found THIS on ESET knowledgebase, quote "On Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit installation may trigger BSOD if the previous version was not correctly uninstalled". My ESET 7 was installed in Jan, 2013 with previous windows 8 before updated to 8.1. So I figured that I'll need to do manually uninstall ESET. Boot under safe mode followed by this guide “How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET product”. Also uninstall OpenVpn driver, reference "Constant BSOD with Smart Security 7".【Can't make links yet.】

After this, install latest ESET smart security 8, now I can use normally for days. But with verifier turned on, I've been through BSODs again after booted into windows from about several minutes to hours. There must be something else here in my system, please help me find out what it is. Thanks in advance!

BTW: sorry for my bad English.
Best regards.

Driver verified and Related to uim_vimx64.sys Image Mounter plugin from Paragon I would remove it at least to test

I would also remove this 2008 driver

Related to MTictwl.sys MagicTunePremium from Samsung Electronics, Inc

Back
Top Bottom