Windows 10 Is there a way to stop Windows 10 updating NVidia Drivers

Druker

Honorable Member
I had the exciting "Video displayed stopped and has recovered" happening since upgrading to Windows 10. I uninstalled that, went to the ASUS site and downloaded the one dated July of 2014. After doing that, the annoying message of the Video display stopping and recovering stopped.
Then today, I had the great joy of having Windows 10 updating itself and lo & behold, oh yes, it downloaded the new NVidia driver.
I downloaded this program from this site ...
How to block unwanted Windows Updates in Windows 10
and unchecked the NVidia Drivers from being installed. The only problem was, it had already started downloading it before I used this program. Consequently, it downloaded and installed.
I'm wondering if anyone has visited the site I've given and used the Microsoft program to stop specific unwanted downloads, such as the driver I'm mentioning here.
Or is there another way to stop unwanted updates. Please advise.

The first thing I do whenever installing windows is as soon as the desktop becomes available I navigate to system properties. You can can get there by typing sysdm.cpl in the run box. Look across the top for hardware and choose that.
Look for a button that say's 'Device installation settings' and click that.
You'll then get two choices for the question ' Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices'.
Choose 'No let me choose what to do' as opposed to 'Yes, do this automatically'.
Then choose the next choice of 'Never install driver software from windows update'.
Click save changes and your done.

When Windows 10 first came out even this setting would fail to work at times but now (after a few updates) it seems to be behaving and i've had no more driver installs. I should mention though it's probably best to be using the latest driver available anyway just so Windows doesn't have a reason to update.

Thanks for the reply. It would seem "No, let me choose what to do" stops Windows Updates right across the board. I would want Windows updates but not the driver updates.
Maybe I'm missing something. Would you mind clarifying that. If I stop the Windows Updates, will it give me the option to do the Windows updates without the NVidia driver update?

Ok, since my brain is putting out the power of a one volt battery, it seems it took me several readings or more to see what you were and are saying.
Yes sir'reee!!! This is Driver software and not Windows updates for example, security issues etc. No wonder you didn't give a reply. Have you enjoyed the "video display stopped working and has recovered" or have you been spared? If you have got that message, did you then use your own solution to solve it?

Hi,
sorry I was out but to clarify: "video display stopped working and has recovered" are usually known as TDR's and can quite literally be caused by almost anything:
TDR stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery. This is a feature of the Windows operating system which detects response problems from a graphics card, and recovers to a functional desktop by resetting the card. If the operating system does not receive a response from a graphics card within a certain amount of time (default is 2 seconds), the operating system resets the graphics card.
ref and further reading: Timeout Detection & Recovery (TDR)

One kind of fix that i know of is to use an application like the 'Display Driver Uninstaller' to delete the previous version of the graphics driver. In doing so it also cleans out any fragments left behind by previous installs creating a nice clean environment for the new driver.
Display Driver uninstaller

Even if there isn't a new driver you could always try running the above app just to clean everything out and then re-install the same driver. I've known this to often make a difference although only bother to do this if your getting a lot of TDR's.

Well, this is interesting. As stated earlier, I uninstalled the newest NVidia driver and installed the one from the ASUS website. The problem never raised its ugly head for several days. Prior to that, about everytime I brought the system out of sleep or hibernation, that message would come up.
So now, with the newest driver on here again because of the Windows update, I'll see what takes place. If it does come back again, I'll used the program you pointed out, and install either the original from ASUS or the newer NVidia.
Thank you so much again for your help and getting back to me right away.

Prior to that, about everytime I brought the system out of sleep or hibernation, that message would come up.
Pop into the advanced power options and make sure 'Hybrid sleep' is enabled. This should help too.

Whilst it's true it's mainly for Desktops sometimes with sleep issues it can be a handy solution. Perhaps consider it if the TDR's continue.

As stated earlier, Windows updated the NVidia driver but no issues yet. I'll keep your solutions right handy. Thank you so much for your help.

Back