Windows 7 Is there any way I can disable the "auto-show" of the task-bar while in "auto-hide" mode ?

Marron

This is a bit tricky to explain, but here I go.

http://prntscr.com/4d1gx7
I have my taksbar on "auto-hide". That means, that it's hidden unless I get my mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen or I press the "Windows" key. I want it NOT to show when I get my cursor to the button of the screen.

To be exact, I want my taskbar to be always hidden unless I press "Windows" key.
How can I do this ?

This is a bit tricky to explain, but here I go.

http://prntscr.com/4d1gx7
I have my taksbar on "auto-hide". That means, that it's hidden unless I get my mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen or I press the "Windows" key. I want it NOT to show when I get my cursor to the button of the screen.

To be exact, I want my taskbar to be always hidden unless I press "Windows" key.
How can I do this ?

I have never used this program, but it was suggested by a very reputable Microsoft MVP contributor.
So, have a look at it......

Aviassin Taskbar Eliminator
http://www.aviassin.com/taskbareliminator

notes :
When you run Taskbar Eliminator for the first time, the taskbar is automatically hidden. To unhide it, simply press Alt + T
. To hide the Taskbar just press Alt + T again (this shortcut toggles the Taskbar on or off).
To view the Taskbar Eliminator preferences window, press Control + Alt + T

tas.gif

To overcome this issue, you should uncheck the ‘Auto-Hide the Taskbar’ from the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
If the Above solution not works in your case then follow the steps are given in the following post- http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/140739-full-screen-f11-enable-disable-auto-hide.html

tas.gif

To overcome this issue, you should uncheck the ‘Auto-Hide the Taskbar’ from the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
If the Above solution not works in your case then follow the steps are given in the following post- http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/140739-full-screen-f11-enable-disable-auto-hide.html

I think the OP did the auto-hide option already and also said that ......
"I want it NOT to show when I get my cursor to the button of the screen."
I also think the OP's issue is solely on Taskbar, not the entire windows Explorer.

Last edited:
Try autohotkey
I don't think it'll work because autohotkey is for "Creating apps and macros", not disabling windows stufs.

Aviassin Taskbar Eliminator
Taskbar eliminator is not a good solution:
1. It has a 3 key shortcut that is not comfortable.
2. When I disable my taskbar (with the program) it won't show, just as expected, but it won't show even if I press the "windows" key. If I press the windows key only the start menu shows, and I use the taskbar for the volume.
3. My taskbar is on autohide. When I disable it it just isn't there, just as expected, but when I re-enable it, it won't be on autohide any more.
But I have to admit, I might end up using this as long as no better solution shows up. ;)

I want to get rid of the taskbar, not have it there always. Taskbar's navigation system is useless while Alt+Tab shortcut is 10 times faster.

I also think the OP's issue is solely on Taskbar, not the entire windows Explorer.
That's true, but not helpful.

Marron,
I just installed the Taskbar Eliminator and it works just like the MS MVP said.
Use Atl + T to toggle between hiding and unhiding taskbar.
It works perfectly.

Why did you use the win key at all ?

Marron,
I just installed the Taskbar Eliminator and it works just like the MS MVP said.
Use Atl + T to toggle between hiding and unhiding taskbar.
It works perfectly.

Why did you use the win key at all ?
No, it doesn't work perfectly. I have my taskbar on auto-hide. If I hide my taskbar, well, it hides, just as expected, but when I press "Alt+T" again it will show me the taskbar. Here comes the problems:
1. The taskbar is no longer in autohide mode, so it won't hide by it's self, I have to press "Alt + T" again.
2. It actually reconfigures all open windows and the desktop to fit a screen with the taskbar on. Practically moves everything.
3. It is slow. Really slow.

Yea... It works as he said, but what he said is not what I've been searching for. I still need the taskbar, but I do not want it to enable itsself when I get my mouse to the bottom of the screen.

And why do I use the win key ? Simply just to type stuff in the windows search function and to adjust the volume (to the right of the taskbar), and ocasionally to other shortcuts that are near the volume one. ;)

The taskbar is no longer in autohide mode, so it won't hide by it's self, I have to press "Alt + T" again.

Yes. That's why I said " Use Atl + T to toggle between hiding and unhiding taskbar.
If you "do not want it to enable itsself when I get my mouse to the bottom of the screen", then you will have to enable it manually. Hence the ATL +T toggle. You can't have it both ways.

I can't help you about " reconfigures all open windows....."
Sorry.

The taskbar is no longer in autohide mode, so it won't hide by it's self, I have to press "Alt + T" again.

Yes. That's why I said " Use Atl + T to toggle between hiding and unhiding taskbar.
If you "do not want it to enable itsself when I get my mouse to the bottom of the screen", then you will have to enable it manually. Hence the ATL +T toggle. You can't have it both ways.

I can't help you about " reconfigures all open windows....."
Sorry.
I do not mind enabling it with Alt + T. I mind that it won't disable itsself. I have to press Alt + T again. There is the problem.

Right click taskbar, select taskbar settings, select autohide for desktop/tablet.

Back