Is there Windows-own software to password files, folders, etc?

Mike Goodger

I am using Rohos Mini Portable software to password a folder on flash drives and external hard drives, but I am wondering whether there is Windows-own software for the same purpose.
Mike

If you have Windows Pro or Enterprise then you can use Bitlocker for this purpose. Otherwise you can use VersaCrypt to accomplish the same thing for free.

Neemobeer - thank you - no Pro or Enterprise, so I'll have a look at Versacrypt.
PS, it seems to be Veracrypt not Versacrypt?

Is VeraCrypt the good part of TrueCrypt?

I stopped using TrueCrypt long ago because there was a security issue with it...
VeraCrypt is just a fork of TrueCrypt since it was discontinued. Outside of BitLocker its probably going to be the most usable solution in this type of scenario thats not proprietary in nature.

Mike, thanks for your comments, but I am told that Veracrypt does not generate a truly portable "safe container" that I can access on ANY Windows PC.

So I am still using Rohos Mini with Rohos Disk Portable.

Many thanks,
Mike

I have looked at the 7Zip website and googled for 7Zip references elsewhere, but all the comments on it are in darkest GeekSpeak, but it seems to me that its primary mission is high compression for archiving, and that it, incidentally, uses encryption and password protection.

So I have been unable to compare its ease of use with Rohos, or to find out whether, if I created an encrypted container on a flashdrive, I would be able to insert the flashdrive into ANY Windows PC and access its contents with my password, as I can with Rohos.

Yes you can use 7zip to create a encrypted container, store it on a external drive and open it (with the password) on any system.

Yes you can use 7zip to create a encrypted container, store it on a external drive and open it (with the password) on any system.

Ah, thanks, I can download it and try it. But I am guessing that the interface will be geekier than Rohos - but I shall try it anyway.

Also as these containers are only used for very important things, a belt-and-braces person might have duplicated containers in both Rohos and 7Zip . . . . . . not sure if anything could go wrong with either, though.

Not giving your will executor(s)/attorneys the passwords would be one mistake I guess.

I am using Rohos Mini Portable software to password a folder on flash drives and external hard drives, but I am wondering whether there is Windows-own software for the same purpose.
Mike

1. Navigate to the folder/file you want to encrypt.
  2. Right click on the item. Click Properties, then click the Advanced button.
    folder-encryption-1
  3. Check Encrypt contents to secure data.
    folder-encryption-2
  4. Click OK, then Apply.
  5. Windows then asks whether you wish to encrypt the file only, or its parent folder and all the files within it as well. We recommend you opt for full folder encryption, just to be on the safe side. Same applieso if you are using a virtual desktop
  6. Now, once you navigate to the encrypted folder, you will see a small yellow lock on the file icon. Also, when you add new content to that folder, it will automatically be encrypted too.
    folder-encryption-3
To be clear, Windows file encryption protects your files against anyone who gets their hands on your computer. The encryption is tied to your Windows account, so when you are logged in, the files decrypt on the fly by the operating system. However, if someone were to log in through another account, they would not be able to access files that were encrypted under your username.

Regards,
Adrian

AdrianGoo1:

"To be clear, Windows file encryption protects your files against anyone who gets their hands on your computer. The encryption is tied to your Windows account, so when you are logged in, the files decrypt on the fly by the operating system. However, if someone were to log in through another account, they would not be able to access files that were encrypted under your username."

Adrian, thank you for all the detail, and I am sorry that you have gone to such a lot of trouble.

Unfortunately it came out in the discussion above that Windows-own encryption is only in Windows 10 Pro and not in Windows 10 Home, and I have the Home version. It also came out that Windows-own encryption cannot create a "container" on an external HDD or flashdrive that can be accessed via password on ANY Windows PC without having Admin Status, so the encryption is not truly portable.

Therefore I am still using Rohos Mini and Rohos Disk Portable, and I may also look at the 7Zip app suggested by Neemobeer above.

Well in that case i would suggest you AxCrypt and Folder Guard for password protecting your files and folders as you`re Windows home user

AxCrypt - An excellent free encryption utility that enables users to encrypt all files within a folder and not allow those files to be viewed unless a passphrase (password) is known.

Folder Guard - A commercial version of a password protection software that enables you to password protect files, folders, and other Windows resources.

Regards,
Adrian

Thank you, I'll look at AxCrypt and Folder guard.

At the moment I am using Rohos Mini and I am also looking at 7Zip.

Back
Top Bottom