Windows 10 Is this what everyone sees?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

When My computer boots the Notification Windows opens and it always shows several messages in the saying that you have new applications that can open this kind of file.

I have no idea what files it's talking about since my computer is just booting up and only opening the normal software that it always opens.

Second, when it does have a useful notification and it says Click Here to do this or that, clicking there never does anything.

Today it said we need to reboot your computer to finalize required updates, click here to scheduled this!
But as usual clicking there did nothing.

I did go ahead and update, and I'm pleased to say that this time even though I saw that it was once again update in both my sound and camera software my sound actually still worked after it was done.

Now for something weirder!!!

Here's something that I've never seen before, I'd like to know if other people are seeing anything like this...

Instead of the almost invisible driver update, this time my computer opened a Creative software install window!

I looked just like it would if I put in the Creative software disk that came with my computer.

Only it made all of the decisions for me as it worked through the process.

It would not let me interrupt the process, I tried to select Cancel, at several windows but it just kept moving through the process, and I could not close the window from the task bar, I even opened Task Manager and it didn't show the Software Installation as an active task.

When it finished doing my sound card install, it then did the same thing with my Microsoft web camera.

It went through that install process step by step and then when done opened to camera interface showing all my camera settings and adjustments.

In all my years of computing I've never seen this happen before!

Has anyone else had this happen?

Mike

I also notice that Cortana now responds without any visual clues.
Before when I talked to her she always opened the Window above her task bar and showed what I was saying in the task bar.

Now when I ask her to play my music she says "Shuffling your music." or playing your music and does so but there is nor visual indication that she's there.

I also notice that she will respond to Pause and Resume now, she wouldn't do that for me before.

Last edited:
In all my years of computing I've never seen this happen before!

Yes but the $ question is does your creative card work now that Microsoft set it up correctly for you?

p.s. As for what I see when updating… nothing much has changed today.

Hi

Yes my sound is working after today's update.

I think I know what happened today, and it probably wouldn't have worked this way with earlier versions of Windows, it may be something Windows 10 related.

I got tired of digging out my Creative CD every time I had to reinstall my sound drivers so I copied the install software to one of my hard drives, and for my Microsoft camera I couldn't find the disk for it so I downloaded the software from MS and stored it on my hard drives as well.

These are the locations that I last installed the software for both of these devices.

I think that what happened today was that the update process triggered installing the software for both of these devices and instead of downloading it from the net, it retrieved the software from the last place it was installed from.

I can't think of any other way it would automatically open a install program that looks just like the install software on my Creative disk.

What I don't get is what triggered the updates?
I looked at my update history and it didn't show any update today?

But it did tell me it needed to reboot to finish installing updates in the Notifications Window.

The weird part is that when I looked in Device Manager just now, to see what drivers are installed,
My Sound Blaster card isn't even shown.

Device%20Manager_zpsyg8bhlel.jpg

It always appeared here before.

It doesn't appear in Audio Inputs and Outputs either.

I think that what's new here it the entry, "Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers" (pretty sure I never saw that before) could this be Microsoft's way of saying it's using legacy drivers?

But the good news it that my sound has been working for several days now with out problems.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike. Im getting the same problem with the start button/search bar/and notification button.
only mine work about half the time. But will not work again untill I reboot the PC.

Hi Guys

Well when I looked at Device Manager today it no longer says "Microsoft Trusted Installer".
But it doesn't show my Sound Blaster card either.

But I'm happy to say I haven't had any problems with my sound for about a week now.
So maybe the issue is fixed, but it does make me wonder why I can't access the setting for my sound card in Device Manager anymore.

But as long as it works I'm no going to mess with it.

This morning I booted up and got the message that I had no internet connection.
It said there was no connection available and didn't show my router in connections.

I removed it in Device Manager and rebooted and everything started working again.

This was a new one, I haven't had it do that before.

Mike

Hi Dave.

Nothing that I know of, I only looked at it because I had the issue with my network connector I scrolled down and looked at Sound Devices

Yesterday it said Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers and today it doesn't list any sound device other then High Definition Audio Device.
In fact it shows a lot less entries then it did yesterday.

Device%20Manager_zpsnjiyqjev.jpg

As you can see the list has changed quite a bit.
All the Microsoft streaming stuff is gone?
I don't think that I'd seen that stuff before yesterday.

But my sound is working perfectly!

Mike

Yes as long as it's working I'm not going to mess with it. LOL
To be honest, I don't know exactly why I always have Nvidia referenced in my sound devices.

Back