Windows 8 is Windows8 compatible with ASUS P5G-MX motherboard or not

vsrawat

I have motherboard ASUSTek P5G-MX Intel 945 chipset (Socket775), Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 2.00 GHz with 2GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

will w8 install and run on it?

W8 is not even installing, preview didn't install, and now Windows 8 Enterprise Final Retail 32bit is not installing. I have tried installing from DVD as well as from flash pen drive.

both giving problem "A media driver your computer needs is missing."

What is the problem and how to get over this?

I am running w7-64 bit so my pc is sure 64 bit compatible, I guess.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

But, windows 8 is not even installing. Throwing error message right at the beginning of installlation. What to do?

Windows 7 32/ 64 bits are running great on this.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Which message has been thrown? Can you post it here?

Just after "loading files", this message comes, and then it doesn't go any further.

win8drivererror.jpg

:-(
--
Rawat

w8compatible1.png

Gives the above 4 reasons.

Install an app to play DVDs
You may need to install an app to play DVDs in Windows 8.
More info

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
More info

Your screen resolution isn't compatible with snap
If it's possible, change your screen resolution to at least 1366 x 768 to snap apps.
More info

Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Corporation
Go to the app website for help

EDIT: 22 apps have been described as compatible. As I am already on 64 bit w7, so 32-64 bit conflict might not come in play.

Whatever it says above, ok, I will not be able to use snap (max screen res of LG FLATRON W1943S is 1360*780 I guess), ok I will not be able use MSSE (shall install avg or avast or avira any free one), ok I wudn't use secure boot (hell, who needs secure boot. I am glad that I will not get it) and I will get window's media pack or some 3rd party player to run dvd. (it is surprising that my LG dvd player wouldn't run on w8).

But, why is it not installing at all? just shows the above message, and doesn't proceed at all. Is any of them such a bottleneck that w8 can't even install, leaving these 4 features uninstalled or not-working?

--
Rawat

Last edited by a moderator:
About the secure boot, this link says
P370EM , Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant says firmware not Compatible with Secure Boot
--
Turns out my reseller had formatted the disk as MBR, and so Windows was launching in MBR mode. After considerably messing around in Linux and an EFI shell I converted the disk to GPT, setup a UEFI partition and got Windows to repair its bootloader into UEFI mode. Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant is happy now.
--
Well, I just got a 1TB hdd (seagate), it does give an option for GPT/ UEFI), so I can reformat the disk using GPT/ UEFI instead of MBR system, so would that satisfy upgrade assistant as it did for the above setup? or something more is required in firmware for secure boot. I am happy with w7 and don't want to jump directly to w8, dumping w7, I will keep it dual boot with w7-w8 and then as I get comfortable with w8, would remove w7 and use only w8. I have heard that secure boot doesn't allow w7 to run, so it is good that secure boot doesn't get installed. but does it mean that w8 wudn't get installed due to lack of secure boot?

Thanks.
--
Rawat

the link here says
What Is Secure Boot? - Windows 8 Help | 29-10-12 - PC Advisor Forums

--
WINDOWS 8 HELPPOST A RESPONSEASK A QUESTION REGISTER FOR FREE / LOGIN
It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion
View Forum Rules | Contact Forum Editor

What Is Secure Boot?
Quickbeam
Posted October 29, 2012 at 3:44PM

And do I have to have it to run W8?

After looking again at what isn't compatible for W8 on my PC, it's mainly old software that I can live without. That only leaves the Secure Boot incompatibility issue when I run the W8 assistant along with the possibility of needing a DVD playing app.

On the more info link in that assistant, this page comes up, but doesn't tell me if I need it or not. Leaving me unsure weather I can upgrade or not.

Does anyone know if I can?

Quickbeam
Posted October 30, 2012 at 10:19AM

I keep looking at various confusing pages on secure boot, but they all seem to be concerned with Linux installations.

I can't see a definate Yes I can install W8 or a No I can't install W8. Or if I can't, if there any workaround solution.

mgmcc
Posted October 30, 2012 at 11:08AM

Have a read of this page which suggests it is a feature of Windows 8 which determines what software can or cannot be run. Having said that, I haven't had a problem installing and running any of the programs that I usually use.

daconnor
Posted October 30, 2012 at 12:34PM

Both my laptop and desktop PC's had the Secure Boot issue flagged by the W8 assistant but in both cases the upgrade completed successfully and all seems to be fine.

Zeppelyn
Posted October 31, 2012 at 12:07AM

Put simply it only applies to PC's with newer UEFI type BIOS and prevents malware in the boot sector area of hard disks. If you have older type BIOS then it will install without problem.Basically nothing to worry about.

Quickbeam
Posted October 31, 2012 at 12:33AM

Thanks for those answers, the upgrade assistant software didn't make it simply clear that it would or wouldn't install, and for all the web pages of bumf on secure boot, all I wanted was a simple yes or no.
--

so, it gets resolved that secure boot is not a must. Am I glad? :)
That issue also gone.
What is missing now?

Should I already install some 3rd party dvd player software in w7-64 bit and then w8 will install? What the heck as I had tried installing from flash pen drive also, and it behaves exactly the same.

--
Rawat

about MSSE, this links solves it:
Can I use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer - Microsoft Community
--
Can I use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

No. Windows 8 Consumer Preview comes with Windows Defender, which has been improved in Windows 8 to provide the same level of malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.
You do not need to install Microsoft Security Essentials and it will not work with Windows 8. Microsoft will continue to provide and improve Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. If you are upgrading to Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first.
--

excellent. I will use Windows Defender instead of security essentials. no problemo.
--
Rawat

I already have videolan's vlc player installed 2.0.1 and upgrade advisor does show that to be compatible, still it doesn't recognize as a valid software that will play dvd on w8? What is this issue really? Other sites told me that vlc player is good free option against windows media center that would play dvds.

Anyway. Now I have installed media player classic also, that is also marked as good free software to play dvds on w8. Let's whether it helps.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

MSE has to be uninstalled prior to Windows 8. A version of MSE is in Windows 8, so it causes a conflict.

Media Center is not in Windows 8, but you can add it.

But the original message about media not being present is when I had a Flash Drive in a USB 3.0 port. It works fine during the boot, but once Windows Starts it wigs out. Of course, Windows 8 is supposed to have native support for USB 3.0. so it might be something else. But just make sure the install media is available, but it seems your media is not being seen.

Are you making the DVD/Flash Drive from the download utility?

It appears the latest drivers for that board are for Vista...

Last edited by a moderator:
> MSE has to be uninstalled prior to Windows 8. A version of MSE is in Windows 8, so it causes a conflict.

Why so? I don't want to upgrade my w7 to w8. I want to install w8 in an other partition afresh that is currently empty. So, why should the current setup of w7 give conflict with w8?

The sad part it it doesn't even reach that stage to ask me whether I want to upgrade existing w7 to w8, or i want to install fresh w8 somewhere else. So, it is confusing what is stopping this.

Thanks.

> But the original message about media not being present is when I had a Flash Drive in a USB 3.0 port. It works fine during the boot, but once Windows Starts it wigs out. Of course, Windows 8 is supposed to have native support for USB 3.0. so it might be something else. But just make sure the install media is available, but it seems your media is not being seen.

I booted afresh from dvd and then from flash drive. it booted well, went to "loading files" etc, presented the language/ country screen, I clicked "install now" and then it shows that "dvd issue" message.

so, if usb 3.0 is problem, it should start with dvd. if dvd is problem it should start with flash drive. but yeah, if dvd as well usb 3.0 both are problem... then...

it does load several files up to that level, so I don't know why it starts having problem in reading further files on dvd/ flash in the middle.

Thanks.

> Are you making the DVD/Flash Drive from the download utility?

I have DVD burnt from downloaded ISO of w8 preview version. I have been trying that for last 6 months but didn't work. then I copied that to flash, first by making dvd bootable, and then by copying thru YUMI multiboot utility. didn't work.

Then I got "Windows 8 Enterprise Final Retail 32bit" ISO and copied that to flash using YUMI multiboot. that too is not working.

> It appears the latest drivers for that board are for Vista...

yeah, ASUS site doesn't even show any driver for w7 or w8. However, it is working well on w7 32 bit and 64 bit.

so, it could be some issue with "why all my software and hardware not visible" because "vendors have not yet replied." ????

Thanks.
--

This time, I shut my system down, then removed the power harness from the 40 GB hdd on which my w7-64 bit is installed.

That left only the 1TB new, almost empty hard disk that has no o.s. Its C: is empty.

I booted with this. Now, w8 installer wudn't know what all were installed in previous w7 installation, and there was no w7 to upgrade to w8, so it has to be a fresh install option. I had booted from flash having multiboot.

Still, the same "A media player is missing message came".

Then, I removed flash from front usb port and put that in rear USB port and rebooted, to see whether that usb 3.0 problem is there. it booted and went upto that exact point, and the same "media problem" message appeared.

so, that message and halt is invariant, whatever I do.

:-( hope it was more explicit in telling the solution.

Thanks.

The USB 3.0 thing is probably not relevant for your board. But perhaps some other driver is. Since you have used both DVD and Flash drives, it would seem one of those would have drivers in Windows 8 for your devices...just not sure. Have you checked for any Bios updates for the board?

You can install Windows 8 upgrade, for testing, without a prior OS...it just won't activate.

If you are installing to a separate partition, you probably don't have to uninstall anything. I installed to a clean hard drive with the sacrificial OS on another drive.

If you are using the Download for the upgrade, let it make the flash drive, or DVD.

SOLVED!

I was using the dvd or using the flash drive with Yumi multiboot that didn't work.

Now, I downloaded "Windows 7 USB Tool" and copied my w8 ISO to flash using that tool that made the flash bootable also.

I booted using that flash drive, and it installed in a blink.

No problem at all. No hard disk or usb or dvd needed to be disconnected, no change of usb port. it didn't show any error message, and went on to install.

I am posting this message from windows 8.

So, somehow the dvd drive was not recognized by windows8 installer, and as long as dvd was in boot path or connected, w8 installer was throwing error message about that and was going in a loop. Even while booting from YUMI multiboot flash, dvd remained in booth path. And when purely flash boot was done, dvd went away from the path, and the install completed.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Back
Top Bottom