Windows 7 Issue with Explorer Folder View Mode

vrracr

hi all,

i have a small problem which is driving me nuts and can't figure out or find a solution online so i thought i'd post here. when i view my folders in Explorer, i want each folder to have a different view. some in List mode, others as Medium Icons, etc. When i make a change to the view of any folder, it changes all explorer windows to that selection.

I never had this problem with any other Windows OS. i should be able to change the view type of any folder and it should remember that setting for the next time i come back to that same folder.

does anyone know how i can fix this? TIA

hi all,

i have a small problem which is driving me nuts and can't figure out or find a solution online so i thought i'd post here. when i view my folders in Explorer, i want each folder to have a different view. some in List mode, others as Medium Icons, etc. When i make a change to the view of any folder, it changes all explorer windows to that selection.

I never had this problem with any other Windows OS. i should be able to change the view type of any folder and it should remember that setting for the next time i come back to that same folder.

Hi vrracr,
I' noticed this bug from the beta days as well as other start menu bugs which can be equally annoying although they are getting better. I can only hope that in time they will be fixed... I did send off quite a few feedback pages on the subject!

thanks for the info...i guess we'll just wait it out :(

Hi vrracr,
I' noticed this bug from the beta days as well as other start menu bugs which can be equally annoying although they are getting better. I can only hope that in time they will be fixed... I did send off quite a few feedback pages on the subject!

hi all,

I could live with that problem. My installations (from beta and all the way now to RTM) Windows Explorer windows ALWAYS default to "details" and I cannot set "medium icons" to become default. (This is regardless of which directory I open) I am also quite disappointed that I cannot arrange the icons in the order of frequency of use. One must settle for alphabetic arrangememt.

I would be quite excited to learn that there is a fix for that, too.

Hi John,
I've noticed that the GUI really slows down and struggles when tidying the start menu all programs section. I like to create my own folders and neaten the place up (which I initially do through 'All Users' folder) Trying to drag and drop stuff around though can sometimes be a nightmare and again I hope it gets fixed in later patches.. (I have to admit it did get a whole lot better between beta and RC but still needs work)

Downhill for a long time.

kemical, I really do not even hold much hope that some of the "difficulties" with Windows Explorer will be fixed any time soon. They have ben going in the wrong direction since Millennium/2000 days when they lumped "documents" and "settings" together. "Documents" and "Settings" are completely different categories and should be separate. This got worse with XP with "Administrator", "User", "All Users", "Default User", etc. and reached critical with Vista. "Libraries" is supposed to sweep the trainwreck of a Windows Explorer file system under the rug, but is really ineffective in doing so. I attempt to delete the superfluous folders in Seven and each time I reboot, they come back. I don't need "Public" and I don't need "All Users" because I am "All the Users"of all my computers. I would compromise if I could pare down to "Administrator" and "All Documents". I create as many sub-folders under "All Documents" as necessary to accomodate "Downloaded Applications", "Downloaded Documents", "Saved Documents", "Photos", "Icons", "Uninstalled Fonts", etc., etc. Won't let me do it! :confused:

Default users in XP is the default profile for creating all profiles.
Every time you create a new user in Windows it pulls the Default User (XP) and Default (Vista/7) as a template for the new user.
Without them, the user can not be created. As designed, they are essential to the workings of Windows. This is a good thing.

All Users profile is just that. If you create a second user, they get all the data and icons in All Users so you do not need to recreate them for every user. This is a good thing. And they should not be removable, as those who don't know how would remove those profiles, then add a user at some point down the road and be lost as to how to setup and fix the new user profile. Or spend a lot of unnecessary time doing so.

Last edited:
Yup, that's why I create my folders in 'All Users' because I know that way they will appear in all user settings. All I do is right-click on 'All Programs' in the start menu and off we go...
But of course you guys already know this.....

Back