Windows 7 Issues using backup

xIke

Windows 7 Home Premium, Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600, 64 Bit

I set up Backup to use a large external ESATA drive. It worked fine for weeks, until I swapped the port the drive was plugged into. Backup then could no longer see the drive, even though it showed up in My Computer and I could copy files to and from it. I switched the port of the drive back, but Backup still refused to use the drive.

I then decided to try an internal drive. After a grueling 24 hour+ backup of 400GB, it completed successfully. The next time Backup ran though, it claimed it "could not back up any of the drives included in the backup".

Are there any known problems with doing really simple backups? I'm just having it backup select folders in my home folder- nothing fancy. Everything else in my computer works fine, it's only backup that's giving me trouble.

Thanks

Windows 7 Home Premium, Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600, 64 Bit

I set up Backup to use a large external ESATA drive. It worked fine for weeks, until I swapped the port the drive was plugged into. Backup then could no longer see the drive, even though it showed up in My Computer and I could copy files to and from it. I switched the port of the drive back, but Backup still refused to use the drive.

I then decided to try an internal drive. After a grueling 24 hour+ backup of 400GB, it completed successfully. The next time Backup ran though, it claimed it \"could not back up any of the drives included in the backup\".

Are there any known problems with doing really simple backups? I'm just having it backup select folders in my home folder- nothing fancy. Everything else in my computer works fine, it's only backup that's giving me trouble.

Thanks

The harsh reality is that performing Windows Backups using this form of NTBackup has always been somewhat of a contentious issue. In your case, it is very well possible you're having problems because of files in use and compatibility issues with 3rd party applications. If the backup is taking this long, I recommend a bare metal backup and restore, which can only be done using third-party software. Please see this blog about bare metal backup: http://windows7forums.com/blogs/mike/247-how-perform-bare-metal-backup-recovery-video.html

What do you mean when you say you switched ports for an eSATA drive?

If it took 24 hours to backup 400G, you may have another problem.

I have not run into your specific problem, but right now I cannot remember if I have 2 eSATA connections.

What do you mean when you say you switched ports for an eSATA drive?

If it took 24 hours to backup 400G, you may have another problem.

I have not run into your specific problem, but right now I cannot remember if I have 2 eSATA connections.

Hrm, my previous reply didn't show up.

Every other use of these drives is fine. I can move files between them no problem, and at really good speeds. Only Backup has issues.

By swapping ESATA, I mean I simply changed which port I was plugged into- back of case instead of top. I only mention this because it's the only hardware change I made.

The harsh reality is that performing Windows Backups using this form of NTBackup has always been somewhat of a contentious issue. In your case, it is very well possible you're having problems because of files in use and compatibility issues with 3rd party applications. If the backup is taking this long, I recommend a bare metal backup and restore, which can only be done using third-party software. Please see this blog about bare metal backup: http://windows7forums.com/blogs/mike/247-how-perform-bare-metal-backup-recovery-video.html

The weird thing though is that backups worked absolutely perfectly until I Backup got confused about my external drive. I made no drastic changes to my computer, so I'd like to think I could get backups working again like they were before.

Are you booting with the external drive plugged in? If not, open device manager and let it look for new hardware. It will find new devices.

It may not be relevant, but is the eSATA on a separate controller, and if so are you using ahci or IDE for it?

If there are two controllers, is the connector in the back actually eSATA? My current system has two eSATA connectors in the back which are, of course, hardwired.

Back
Top Bottom