Windows 10 Just got a message saying that I should download the Widows Update Tool and update Windows?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just had this Windows Notification saying the newest Windows update is available and it linked me to the Microsoft update page.
I ignored it after looking at the page I went back and clicked on Windows Notifications and found that there was no indication of it there.
It says no new notifications and shows no messages.

I wondered why I was getting this message to update it never worked that way before.
I just looked and there is a Windows Update ready to install, so why the message to download the update tool?
Normally it just does it without asking me.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Mike

Windows 10, version 1809 amd642019-03

It is downloading it right now through Windows update in the normal way.

This is what I'm seeing it won't open anything else when I click on Settings.

Ok, it's just the Settings Widow not expanded, I have it open now.

Last edited:
That's interesting.
Please let me know what has changed after updating.

Last edited:
Hi

Ok, it's done, it was a major update, it says it's the October Update, this is a new computer so apparently it was an earlier version then that when the computer was loaded and it's just getting around to updating. I'm surprised that it took that long to catch up.

But it's up and running I'll have to go through and see if everything is working correctly now. But I seldom have problems.

Says I am now at...

Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379)

Mike

Yeah that's just the semi annual feature update (aka new build 1803, 1809, 1903... etc)

The stable version of win 10 is 1809 as mostly it was updated at the end of last year 2018. You will notice much of progress in shutting and restart down the PC. Keep us posted about the updates how it goes with the AMD Processor and graphics are the best as well. Wish you have no issue so far. Take care.

Everything seems to be working OK, I was surprised by the way that File Explorer has changed, I didn't know that was coming but I'll get used to it.

any windows 10 build above 16299 (1709) will ignore you and try to grab updates... Microsoft added the push system to turn updates back on even if you manually disable it

Back