Windows 7 Kernal Data Error BSOD

mrdnra

Hi, new user here.

I had a windows update auto install earlier on today and since then most my games have been getting BSOD on launch (these games were working as recently as yesterday).

Any help fixing this would be appreciated (it should be noted I have within the last 2 weeks received my laptop back from a motherboard and processor replacement after the motherboard died - new processor is same as original and has never had problems running these games in the past (although I've had a couple of random BSOD's before that have resolved themselves (as in, using the same thing that caused it after restart hasn't then caused BSOD again) in the past few months - I have only had this laptop 21 months now)).

Please see attached file with details.

Attachments

• W7F_14-11-2014.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 401
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006dd3010, fffff8800f644584, 0, 2}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+14b584 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
looks like your update was for the gpu driver? All your dump files are the same and means the gpu driver tried to reset but failed. Trouble is if you try to change it without first making some changes to your settings it will only install it again.
Go to Start find the run app and type in sysdm.cpl then click ok.. Look for Hardware across the top of the revealed box and click that. Your now looking for Device installation settings, click that followed by 'Do you want windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices' click 'No, let me choose what to do'. You'll then see another couple of options appear and you need to check 'Never install Driver software from windows update'. You can also leave checked 'Automatically get the device application and information provided by your manufacturer'. Click to save changes.
Now you shouldn't have any further updates for the drivers so you'll have to make sure they are updated yourself.

To remove the driver that is already in place you have a couple of options.
System Restore. Restore your system to the point immediately before the update. You can do this by going to the same place you found the installation settings but instead of Hardware look for 'System Protection'. Click that and then look for the system restore tab. If you click that you will eventually get a list of available restore points assuming it's running. Just find the one from yesterdays install and go back to that point.

The other way would be to uninstall the gpu driver and install a new one. Normally laptop drivers come from the manufacturer of the laptop but Nvidia and AMD also do laptop drivers too. I'm using this as a guide for your gpu specification:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1592.html
Download the Nvidia drivers from here:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79604/en-uk

After you've changed the above settings pop along to add and remove programs and uninstall the old gpu driver.

Once the old driver has been removed you can then apply the new driver you've downloaded. If it doesn't work then try the drivers that came with the machine, hopefully on a disk?
Let me know how you get and please post any new dump files.

Thanks for your suggestions. Fortunately one of my friends suggested updating the graphics driver, which I have now done (for some reason I didn't have options to update without first downloading something else), and although said update is making windows freeze about 2/3rds of the time just after logging in, I can deal with that as it has a quick restart time.

If it does have any other problems in the future (like starting to freeze more often) I will refer back to your suggestions, however I have already followed the one about disabling the driver software install on windows update.

Thanks again.

Thanks for updating your thread and you can always post back if need be.

Well I thought it was working, but now other games are crashing instead, and I've done system restore twice (cos it didn't complete successfully the first time) and it's still crashing even after that. I'd made sure to cancel the auto reinstall of the new drivers (as it had cancelled the option for some reason) before system restore. (It looks like the link to the driver you've provided was actually the one I updated to that didn't fix the issue)

Crash dump file attached. To clarify, this is post system restore 2.

Attachments

• W7F_14-11-2014.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa800a1074e0, fffff8800f62e584, 0, 2}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+14b584 )

Hi,
same bugcheck as before. Try the previous driver to the latest one. These and older versions you can find at the same website so if this one doesn't work then try the previous version:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79101/en-us

Also above I asked if you got any drivers supplied with the laptop. They usually come on a disk. If you do own such a install disk then you could always try the drivers on there.

It looks like I may have found a solution - update to the latest driver without installing the windows driver update. Currently everything running smoothly (having used it for about 5 minutes).

If it does crash though I will try that second link.

Also regarding your question regarding drivers being supplied, I don't remember there being any although there may have been (if there are though I'm not sure where they would be, as I moved house since buying the laptop! For the time being I'm keeping the old drivers installed as well as a backup should it be needed.

Sorry I should have mentioned don't reapply the update. Change your update settings to automatically check and not automatically install without asking you first. Then when the update appears right click it and choose hide update.

Looks like the BSOD issue is fixed however still having problems running some games correctly (driver keeps not keeping up with one game, and getting to one point on another then not rendering), I think it may be to do with driver settings as I reset them to default while sorting the BSOD issue, and then remembered I had changed some a while back for one game to run and couldn't remember which settings were changed! Going to try a few drivers to see if they have any effect.

Thanks for your help anyway, if I have any other issues I know where to come.

It started BSODing again (different games different on which system restore I was using), but I think I've just found the best solution, which was to deactivate the Nvidia driver altogether (my laptop also has an intel driver as well that's working for all the games, I found this out cos when checking settings it had actually auto deactivated Nvidia after the last but one system restore and that was when all the games were working)

You probably know this already but do you realise that any settings you may have changed could be switched back when you perform the system restore. You should perform the restore and then apply the settings straight away before windows update kicks in.

Yeah I realised that after one of the early restores. After the last one I did I made sure to set the settings the way I wanted them to stay then created a manual restore point (saves me having to change it each time pre restore too)

It does look like the issue is only with the nvidia driver though, when it auto deactivated it was because it was reporting problems. Figured the best thing I could to is disable it altogether for now, especially as the intel one seems stable.

Just had a sudden blue screen crash (I seem to get them every once in a while (this is maybe the 3rd I've ever had since I got my laptop nearly 2 years ago) and restart computer without any issues anyway, can't remember if it's this same issue each time though), just wondering if there is a way to prevent it in future. File is attached.

Attachments

• W7F_27-01-2015.zip
    80.6 KB · Views: 256
Code:

BugCheck A, {80, 2, 1, fffff80002ed7f1f}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KeAcquireInStackQueuedSpinLock+5f )

Hi,
the above bugcheck can be caused by a number of reasons from out of date drivers, Anti-Virus apps, out of date bios:
Cause
This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.
ref:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129(v=vs.85).aspx

Normally laptop drivers are supplied by the manufacturer of the laptop. I've checked the Novatech site and it seems they do not carry any support for your model. Nvidia does do it's own mobile drivers which you could try and update with. I only mention your GPU driver as the other dump file was a graphics related and the gpu driver crashed but didn't recover in a certain time sparking a bsod.. Try Nvidia's auto driver app:
If your gpu is a 650M then your driver is here:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/81456/en-uk

If the bsod continues try changing Avast to MSE as it's known on occasion to cause the odd issue:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

Have you changed your Pagefile lately? It may have become corrupted. Try turning it off then rebooting and enabling it again.

Post any new dump files.

In terms of the previous blue screen you helped with due to the graphics driver, I ended up deactivating the nvidia driver altogether to stop the crashes (the inbuilt intel one in the processor works just fine, which I found out after a system restore resulted in the laptop auto deactivating nvidia due to it reporting problems), and haven't had any issues up til today when my laptop just suddenly blue screened again. It does sound like it may be avast linked as it's only a rare occurrence, so should it happen again at any point soon I will try switching to MSE.

Thanks for your help again.

Ok I've just had another slightly different crash - it said something about Memory Management. Downloading MSE now (my Avast subscription is due to expire in under a month anyway). I note you said something about changing my Pagefile last time - could you advise how I do that and I'll see if that helps too.

Crashfile attached.

Attachments

• W7F_04-02-2015.zip
    102.9 KB · Views: 245
Code:

BugCheck 1A, {41287, 30, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+454f5 )

Hi,
out of the 3 dump files sent, one was Bugcheck A which can be caused by either faulty driver, system service, Bios or Antivirus application. Another was Bugcheck 116, which specifically blames the Nvidia driver for not responding within a certain time frame. Lastly the Bugcheck posted above indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

When you disabled the Nvidia GPU did you remove the driver too? If not try that. If the BSOD continues then try using the Nvidia driver update utility to find you a driver:
Try Option 2:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

As you know we have already discussed Avast and you are aware it's a possible culprit. If all else fails to fix the bsod then you may have to consider removing the app as a test but first see if we can stop the bsod by other means.

It is possible your page file is corrupt. To repair the page file go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter. You should now see the System properties panel open, look for Advanced along the top and click that. Under the Performance heading click settings and then advanced. You should now see a panel containing a button saying 'Change' for virtual memory, click that.
It may look a little complicated on the next panel but not to worry as all you need to to do is basically turn the pagefile off. Cancel any warning messages and then reboot.
So first uncheck the box at the top (automatically manage paging file size for all drives) and then check 'no pagefile', click ok and then apply. Reboot!
Once Windows has rebooted go back into the System properties and virtual memory panel. Uncheck 'no page file' and then check 'automatically manage paging file size for all drives', click ok and then apply. You should now have a nice fresh pagefile.

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Post any new dump files

I've now uninstalled the driver (through the device manager section of sysdm.cpl) and reset the pagefile. Seems the driver may still have been partially functioning (even with the GPU disabled) as my main windows toolbar has now taken a more basic colour setting (edit - it's now returned to normal colour). I'd also already uninstalled Avast and got MSE up and running prior to your response, so fingers crossed I won't get any more BSOD's.

Thanks for your help, if I do encounter any further issues I'll be sure to post again.

Last edited:
This is a new error for me - unfortunately when I try to upload the dump file it's saying "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process." (zipped file size is 2440kb), any idea where I could get it uploaded so I can post a link to it here? (I don't think it's linked to my previous BSOD's though as I made sure to uninstall everything related to the old graphics card)

I should clarify that pretty much all I had open on my laptop at the time was Firefox with several tabs open, Skype, Steam running in the background, and OpenOffice, whether that has any impact I don't know!

Back
Top Bottom