Windows Vista Keyboard and mouse not working!

N

Not_Liking_Vista!

Hello,

I bought an Acer Aspire 3680 from an internet dealer about 8 months ago.

Here's my problem: When in the boot process every thing's fine until we get to the login password screen. At that point, my keyboard and mouse stop responding. Nothing works. It's like the keyboard and mouse are locked out.

I tried booting in safe mode but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas before I shoot it with a 12 gauge?

This is a laptop. It's the keyboard and mouse that's built into the laptop.

This is a laptop. It's the keyboard and mouse that's built into the laptop.

Blush!! Sorry I should have taken more notice of what you'd written..
So are you saying you cannot get into the desktop at all? If you can then there is a number of options you could try..
Ok, have you tried using a USB mouse to get yourself logged in? If you have and you can.... I've had a look at the Acer support site Acer Europe, Middle East and Africa - Service & Support and I couldn't actually find a way to ask that particular question. As I'm sure your aware search engines are based on 'key' words and too many of them gets them all irritable 'n' snappy lol. Anyhow reading between the lines you could need a motherboard bios update. You'll need to find out what your using at the moment (you can usually see the details on the boot screen right at the beginning or you could try using something like Everest, Google for it and get the free trial). The drivers page for your product is here: Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Acer Aspire 3680 Series you can also get the bios update from here. It 'may' not need the bios updating I'm just saying this is a possibility, why not try re-installing drivers ect.. A method to do this without a disk is given below.

Re-install bundled software without CD
Acer eRecovery Management stores pre-loaded software internally for easy
driver and application re-installation.
1 Boot to Vista (If you can't actually get into the Vista desktop because of the problems you describe, try doing this at the boot process).
2 Press <Alt> + <F10> to open the Acer eRecovery Management utility.
3 Enter the password to proceed. The default password is six zeros.
4 In the Acer eRecovery Management window, select Recovery actions and
click Next.
5 In the Recovery settings window, select Reinstall applications/drivers and
click Next.
6 Select the desired driver/application and follow the instructions on screen
to re-install.
At first launch, Acer eRecovery Management prepares all the needed software
and may take few seconds to bring up the software content window.

I hope that you can glean a solution from all this. If not please shout back and we'll have another go in finding a cure.
Regards

You may want to try connecting a USB keyboard and do a system restore back to when the onboard keyboard still worked. If its a hardware problem the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard into the main board might be detached or part of your main board is fried, in which case you should contact Acer if you are under warranty.

My Acer Aspire Notebook/Laptop only lasted about 1 year.

I would not buy anymore of these.. in fact I would not buy another laptop ever again as they are very hard to take apart to see what cable or solder joint is broken.

Acer sell an extended warranty that bumps up the price a lot - but if you buy Acer I would get one - I believe they are cheap junk...

Like to know who has an Acer notebook/laptop that has not broken down .. :mad:

Sometimes its better to pay a higher price for things that are built-to-last and made from more expensive parts. I've never had an Acer laptop, but notebooks break much easier due to their compact and sometimes flimsy construction. People also tend to turn them on and off more often than desktops, which may cause components to fail more often.

I had a Acer desktop once.. That wasn't up to much either and was eventually replaced. This was back in the days when nearly all pcs were mega bucks to buy.. So it took me ages to get the cash together but eventually I bought a Gigabyte based system. The difference was awesome! Since then I've always built my systems with Gigabyte boards and have never had any problems (fingers crossed lol)..

Okay, here's an update.

It's a software issue. I had to use Active@ Boot Disk to be able to get the files over to my external USB drive. The keyboard and mouse works fine in this "windows type" environment so it's not a hardware issue.

I have 4 friends that have Acer laptops and I talked with them about how they liked them before I bought mine. They never had any issues with them. They all run XP Pro on them also.

From day one, I never cared for the Vista platform. It always wanted to make decisions for me and I hate that. The WIFI would turn on by it's self just minutes after I turned it off. Weired things like that.

So, long story short, I really appreciate the response and suggestions from everyone. Once I copied the C and D drives to the external hard drive I deleted the C and D partitions and at this moment I'm installing XP Pro on it. Something I threatened to do and should have done from day one.

Thanks again!
John

I Have An Acer 3000 With Pretty Much The Same Problem. The Mouse And Keyboard Works Fine In Post Windows Screens But Not In Windows. Then Somtimes It Works. Works Well With Usb M/k Also. I Notice That When It Does Not Work Its Over Working Itself As Seen In Task Manager Between 65-100% And When It Works 4-44%max.
Intrestingly Others With The Same Model Have The Same Or Similar Problem. I Jus Dont Know Why It Would Work In Safe Mode But Not Windows. I'll Post Results When I Switch Processers. God I Hate Amd's.

you guys give up too soon.
Yeah Vista has bugs in it that need to be worked out... So did my marriage :eek:

Check out the last post on page 1. In the last few lines of the post he say's 'I hate Amds'...

God I Hate Amd's.

God I Hate Amd's.

Why?

Oh!
shocked-smiley-9449.gif

Yup I just wondered why it had personal between the poster and the bit of silicon inside his pc..:p

I remember my first AMD I OC'ed it to 1600Mhz and that was FAST :eek:
for a few min
ill-violated-dead-smiley-5393.gif
...poor thing didn't see it comming
ill-violated-dead-smiley-9436.gif

Lol, I did that to a old 9600 ATI graphics card and was getting some great results in 3DMark 03 but alas it's now (the chip) is sitting on my desk a tad burnt..:cool:

hope i'v not pissed any one off...but my experiance with AMD's has cause me to say this.
They are suppose to be great for gaming when used with the correct hardware ( i work in a pc-store) but i'v found them to be slow and sometimes unresponsive for no reason even in new machines, unless we get "crap" and i dont see how but intel works fine to me. There is one thing i can say for AMDs tho- they can proberly take more abuse than intel chips and live but a lame horse is only good for so long.
In being fair to this topic that was started tho- on thinking that my problems with the keyboard and chip came from a lousy Processer was in corret judgement.
Someone either here or else where said change the batts, so in trying not to be nieve even i was using adapter power i poped out the batt and restarted.......vola the problems gone. I idid upgrade to vista before and used a dell installation cd with drivers also which hade given me a sticky buy working mousepad but no key board. i then did an driver install and the batt thing and i am good.
to make sure it was the batt even with power in i just poped it back in and in a min or two i started losing losing my mouse. i've ordered a new batt so i hope its batt alone and not circuitry on board.
Thanks for you time. Davidlahall

Just scanned through this thread so hope I'm not answering an already answered question but i just did a restore on a laptop with problematic mouse and keyboard. Machine was XP Pro Media Center edition but I'm sure applies to Vista too. After much frustration I came across a discussion about this issue (funnily enough involving an acer laptop) and it turned out to to be the battery. So I removed the battery and rebooted and, as the saying goes, Bob's your uncle problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom